PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 GT Fan has GOT to go

tieros
07-15-04, 01:53 AM
I finally have my new system quieted down to the point that it's not noticable when on except for the damn whine from the BFG fan.

I think it's time for a custom mod :) I've got a big chunk of copper here, a pile of fans, and 5 empty PCI slots below my 6800GT. What's the worst that could happen? :)

Also, for people concerned about their card temps, there is hope. I pulled the fan and heatsink off my card tonight and peeled the huge mounds of thermal compound off of all the components. The GPU was lightly covered in a different thermal compound that was already flakey and dry to the touch. The GPU cooling block is aluminum, and not very well machined.

I started by cleaning everything, and then buffing the bottom of the GPU heatsink with a dab of OCZ Ultra5+ thermal compound until most of the major scratches were filled. I then put a bit of the Ultra5+ on the memory, CPU, and power components that are covered with heatsinks. After that, I put everything back together, and didn't even have any extra parts left over! :)

My GPU is now 6C cooler at idle and under load. I don't have a way to measure the RAM, but if I can OC it even a tiny bit more, I'll know it helped. The OCZ Ultra5+ can take a couple of days to reach maximum effectiveness, so I'll let you know the final outcome in a few days.

By then, I should be finished with the new cooler and can rip this one off :)

Hellion
08-08-04, 12:42 AM
well....what was the new temps?

Clay
08-08-04, 12:49 AM
Care to post any pics if you took any? I did something similar with my BFG 6800 Ultra but I used Ceramique. My temps stay about the same, maybe a bit lower under load. So you didn't actually lap your HSF base?

Here's the process I went through:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32091&page=4&pp=15#post370790

tieros
08-08-04, 01:33 PM
Oops, sorry for not posting the final outcome.
I had to RMA that motherboard, so I am currently having GT withdrawls :)

The card stabilized at 52C, which is 8C below my stock temperature. i think mine was a little hot out of the box.

I am still working on the heat sink mod, but it ended up going in a completely different direction. When the dangerden block priced out at 125.00, I decided to see if I could make my own. I'm going to beef up my machining skills a bit first, though :)

rms
08-08-04, 06:45 PM
I heartily agree that the original fan must go. I will try doing what you did in re-doing the thermal compound.

My idea for replacing the fan is to pull it out, and strap on a 120mm fan with a 80mm fan adaptor. Now, clearance and mechanical issues would take some thought, and maybe fabricating a new fan cover to replace the stock metal one may be needed. At least this would avoid having to install an actual new heatsink, and allow reverting to a stock setup if needed.

rms

shuttleteam
08-08-04, 07:50 PM
There is a newer version of the 6800GT OC that has two fans!

http://www.shuttleteam.com/images/6800s.jpg

They are about the same noise-wise. The two fan cooler has a solid copper slab that covers both GPU and memory. I can o/c the card with the reference cooler 10MHz higher with the dual fan cooler so it must be better. Memory about the same +/- 5 MHz or so.

Cheers!

JoKeRr
08-08-04, 09:58 PM
it looks like the copper cooler is smaller than the aluminum reference cooler, and it's been compensated with dual fan... I still like Leadtek and MSI's copper cooler design, especially the Leadtek dual slot copper on front and back.

walkndude
08-08-04, 10:00 PM
Am I the only one here thats never heard a peep out of the fan on their bfg gt oc other than start up ?

I had to peek in at the card the first few times windows booted to make sure it was even spinning... I don't get it.

Pantherman
08-09-04, 12:18 AM
I saw the GT with the two fans in my local BB in Boca Raton, Fla.

Lezmaka
08-09-04, 07:27 AM
There is a newer version of the 6800GT OC that has two fans!

http://www.shuttleteam.com/images/6800s.jpg

They are about the same noise-wise. The two fan cooler has a solid copper slab that covers both GPU and memory. I can o/c the card with the reference cooler 10MHz higher with the dual fan cooler so it must be better. Memory about the same +/- 5 MHz or so.

Cheers!

Did you take the two fan cooloer off and put it on the other card, or take the reference cooler off and put it on the new card? If not, then the fact that one card OC's higher than the other may not have a thing to do with the cooler because they are different chips, and different chips will have different max stable frequencies.

shuttleteam
08-09-04, 07:36 AM
Did you take the two fan cooloer off and put it on the other card, or take the reference cooler off and put it on the new card? If not, then the fact that one card OC's higher than the other may not have a thing to do with the cooler because they are different chips, and different chips will have different max stable frequencies.

Yes the coolers were swapped. The newer card with the copper cooler is a horrible overclocker, only doing 381/1047 stable!

Cheers!