PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT Image Settings

Flashfire
07-15-04, 01:06 AM
I can not see any visual difference between High Performance and High Quality. I've been wondering about this setting since years ago with my GF2MX. What does it do exactly? Thanks in advance.

rewt
07-15-04, 09:06 AM
High Performance uses Bilinear filtering and Anisotropic optimizations. High Quality uses Trilinear filtering with no optimizations. Bilinear does not look nearly as good as Tri. It makes lines on the ground between mipmap levels, that are clearly visible when you are moving around in game.

5150 Joker
07-15-04, 09:09 AM
High Performance uses Bilinear filtering and Anisotropic optimizations. High Quality uses Trilinear filtering with no optimizations. Bilinear does not look nearly as good as Tri. It makes lines on the ground between mipmap levels, that are clearly visible when you are moving around in game.

To be fair you only notice these mipmap lines in certain games, usually fps games of some sort. I have my slider set to high performance for the MMORPG game I play and I don't notice any difference between the two modes.

JBark
07-15-04, 09:24 AM
If you want a game to test the differences between the quality settings, try BF1942. It's very easy to see the transitions on the desert maps, especially El Alamein. Fly around low to the ground and you'll see all sorts of mipmap transitions. I made an app profile for 1942 and set the quality to Very High, and it looks much better.

5150 Joker
07-15-04, 09:26 AM
If you want a game to test the differences between the quality settings, try BF1942. It's very easy to see the transitions on the desert maps, especially El Alamein. Fly around low to the ground and you'll see all sorts of mipmap transitions. I made an app profile for 1942 and set the quality to Very High, and it looks much better.

Yeah its definitely noticeable in that game. I have my profile for it set to max quality in everything and it runs smoooooooth :) But if he plays MMORPGs or adventure type of games that really tax a card, he'd probably be better off going with high performance since the difference isn't readibly noticeable in those games.

aAv7
07-15-04, 11:21 AM
I have mine set on the default of quality. Is this good enough?

burningrave101
07-15-04, 11:29 AM
I have mine set on the default of quality. Is this good enough?

Yes, the Quality setting is excellent. The IQ on Quality is the same as the highest available IQ on the X800's. If you set it to High IQ you'll lose all optimizations and will be running full Trilinear. Its not worth it to sacrifice the performance unless your already getting really high fps in the games you play.

Clay
07-15-04, 12:01 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/temp/nvquality.gif

Flashfire
07-15-04, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all your help guys... I guess I'm just not seeing the differences... I have seen the mip map "levels" on the ground in Farcry though. I'm just going to it to quality... surely the frame loss on this 6800GT would be insignificant.

Thanks again!

Clay
07-16-04, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all your help guys... I guess I'm just not seeing the differences... I have seen the mip map "levels" on the ground in Farcry though. I'm just going to it to quality... surely the frame loss on this 6800GT would be insignificant.

Thanks again!
Yeah, you can really get into splitting hairs with this stuff. The biggest differenece IMO is going from AF disabled completely to AF being enabled at any level. Shimmering is obvious then with AF disabled once you've seen AF enabled at any level. As with any IQ issue, this is all highly subjective. Good luck. :)