PDA

View Full Version : "Modded" my 6800 GT

Morkai
07-15-04, 02:35 AM
?

MiuMan
07-15-04, 02:46 AM
Whew. I just got done removing the heatsink and fan from my eVGA 6800 GT to get to that thermal tape. I rubbed it off the heatsink and GPU with some rubbing alcohol, and I'm now ready to apply some Arctic Silver 5.

The only problem is.... I don't have any Arctic Silver 5. In fact, I don't even have a computer.

I'm building a new computer, and all my other components come in tomorrow, including that AS5. So now, I just have to wait. I'm actually quite nervous. I just keep wondering if I made an error... screwing and unscrewing heatsinks into a new $400 video card before you even try it out is a bit nervewracking. If it doesn't work tomorrow, it would royally suck.

As for the actual application of AS5 tomorrow, would you guys reccomend a small dab and let the heatsink spread it out upon contact, or prespread it all over the GPU before I apply the heatsink?

I'll post temps as soon as I get them.

Any comments?

--Mork

Well i would think a small dab and let it spread.. just like you would with a cpu and the fan...

JayrodTremonki
07-15-04, 02:54 AM
Guess this wouldn't be the ideal time to tell horror stories about taking off GPU fans ^_^

Sazar
07-15-04, 04:44 AM
this thread could turn out to be quite interesting... and amusing :smoking:

mustrum
07-15-04, 05:34 AM
I allways apply it on the whole GPU/CPU. You never know if it will be all over the GPU if you only apply a small dab.
I reccommend using a credit coard or something the like for spreading the AS5 all over. Works like a charm.

zer0xp
07-15-04, 05:41 AM
I reccommend using a credit coard or something the like for spreading the AS5 all over. Works like a charm.
as far as CPUs go, depending on the quality of the heatsink, i have always gotten better results using this method. Just spread a thin layer with a credit card like mustrum said. However, do NOT use your fingers because of the oils in your skin. The spread method keeps things neat too. :)

novagamer
07-15-04, 07:11 AM
pfft. I volt modded my GT the second day I had it, and I'm still using the stock cooler :angel2:

Also I found that the 6800ultra bios gave my memory a bit of a push, before I had artifacting at about 1130, I ran 1200 and it was fine except for one spot in nature (3d01), and that was because of gpu heat from the vgpu mod I believe (it froze right after).

Some things to keep in mind :) I like this card a lot, 1600x1200x32 in CS @200fps constant (using developer 1) is beautiful.

Cr@zy Chuckster
07-15-04, 09:24 AM
I usually spread my AS5 with a plastic baggie over my finger, just my personal pref but it works wells and less to clean up.

Viral
07-15-04, 09:29 AM
I usually spread my ASS with a plastic baggie over my finger, just my personal pref but it works wells and less to clean up.

:lol2:

Sorry man :P

:lame:

Fatman
07-15-04, 09:32 AM
I'm a "dab & spread" man myself... GPU/CPU core is rarely as large as the heat-spreader so there is no need to cover the entire surface.

jcossin
07-15-04, 09:41 AM

OH GOD, I'm laughing SO hard!! :lol2:

5150 Joker
07-15-04, 09:50 AM

LOL I thought I was the only one that caught that..i laughed irl when i read his post.

Cr@zy Chuckster
07-15-04, 10:03 AM
Damn it took me a minute to find out what you guys were laughing so hard about.

Glad I could enlighten your morning :)

mustrum
07-15-04, 01:04 PM
Damn it took me a minute to find out what you guys were laughing so hard about.

Glad I could enlighten your morning :)

Hehe it took me a while as well.
:udawg:

DarkKeeper
07-15-04, 01:20 PM
Depending on your luck, and results, with this I may give this a try.

saturnotaku
07-15-04, 03:45 PM
Depending on your luck, and results, with this I may give this a try.

What, spreading your AS5 with a plastic baggie over your finger?

:rofl

|JuiceZ|
07-15-04, 03:47 PM
What, spreading your AS5 with a plastic baggie over your finger?

:rofl

*falls outta chair*

:udawg:

Existenz
07-15-04, 06:07 PM
Um yea,if you go to artic silvers website they have a guide included with pictures me thinks

Richteralan
07-15-04, 06:52 PM
ROFLMFAO~~~~ :rofl
sorry couldn't resist...

v3rninate
07-15-04, 07:13 PM
ALWAYS spread over the entire area with a small layer completely covering the exposed surface, not the entire die. You save on compound this way and you KNOW there is complete coverage. If you leave just a smallllllll spot open, you could risk burn out ESPECIALLY on this highly clocked chip AND if you're overclocking.

Spread your own AS5 over your finger on yourself okay, dangit, I don't swing that way....lol :rolleyes: