PDA

View Full Version : Can't make up my own mind

mrdak
07-15-04, 03:28 AM
Heres the plan, but I would like anyones thoughts, I have to choose,,
Im getting either 512mb's pc3200 and a Mobile 2500+or2600+ ,,or a gig of pc3200 and no 2500,,,I would have to keep my locked 2400+.

This stuff is going in a Epox8RDA3+ I should be able to run the mobile chip just fine ? right ??nforce2 will unlock it ?
psu is an Enermax 350

This is a hard decision...Actually, I should also be asking,,,What 2500+ chip should I get for that Epox board. I'm sure plenty of you know exactly what chip will come unlocked, or become unlocked bythe board..Neweggs got some decent prices, thats for sure..AMD 45 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2500+, 266 FSB, 512K Cache - OEM Is that the chip to buy ? w-266fsb? or what.

Your ideas please.

PsychoSy
07-16-04, 01:14 PM
I'd say get the mobile 2500/2600. Sure, you lose 512MB of RAM ... but the potential for more horsepower under the hood I think outweighs it. Plus, your next planned upgrade could be in the A64 market down the road, meaning you'll have to invest in different RAM anyway. Putting one spare 512MB stick of DDR in a drawer until someone buys it off me (or I find a use for it) is easier on my heart than two ... ;)

AMD 45 Watt Mobile Athlon XP 2500+, 266 FSB, 512K Cache - OEM Is that the chip to buy ? w-266fsb? or what

I beleive so!! :D

mrdak
07-16-04, 03:54 PM
Psychosy,
Thats a Krazy lookin avatar man, slick

But I already did the gig of munchkinn, hehe, super duper mofo'n inhanced low low latency memory. That way I can try my dual channel feature as soon as I get the board. I am selling an Audigy 2ZS for like 75.00. When I do Im getting a chip,,,and,,by the way,I really appreciate your reply, how bout this, Please give me some answers here ?
Is there a better mobile XP chip with 512 cache,and a higher fsb ? One that will also OC like the 2500+?
If so, Please tell me exactly which one it is. All I keep hearing is the newer AthlonXP chips all come hard locked and can't be unlocked...???
One last thing, I promise,
How would you recommend setting up my 2400+, Tell me both ways, like how to run it if the board unlocks it, and how to run it if theres no way to unlock it. OK thats enough questions for you young man. Now finish your homework...LoL... Oh and I'm gonna use Mushkin 2.5 4, 4. if that helps any.

For anyone whos kind enough to help out, Only respond to this mallarcky if you absolutely have the time, I asked for a lot of advice...thanks in advance,,,,Dak

PsychoSy
07-18-04, 11:28 AM
Is there a better mobile XP chip with 512 cache,and a higher fsb ? One that will also OC like the 2500+?

I think the Mobile 2500+ XPs are the sweet spot. Cheap and should hit 3200+ speeds (200Mhz FSB x 11 Multi) out of the gate. May or may not have to raise voltage, tho.

All I keep hearing is the newer AthlonXP chips all come hard locked and can't be unlocked ...???

Yes, the newer Retail/OEM AthlonXP chips are multi-locked. The Mobile versions aren't locked at all (least, last I checked). However, there are some week 38 and older unlocked OEM/Retail AthlonXP still out there (my sister nabbed an unlocked Retail 2500+ at a trade show about a month or two ago) but it's pretty hit or miss. As a result, people are scooping up the Mobile XP 2500s instead since there almost guaranteed to be unlocked.

One last thing, I promise, how would you recommend setting up my 2400+, Tell me both ways, like how to run it if the board unlocks it, and how to run it if theres no way to unlock it.

2400+? I believe that's T-bred B core Athlons and I never owned one. Don't know much about OC'ing them. If that was typo and you meant to say 2500+, then here ya go: Run it a default speed for about 2-3 weeks (or 72 hours worth of endless Prime95 torture, if you can tolerate it leaving the rig alone that long!! ;)). This lets you gauge overall stability at stock speeds while also letting the thermal compound cure itself so that it'll do its job more efficiently when you do start cranking the FSB. After that's over ... crank the FSB to 200Mhz and set the multi to 11 immediately. That's the default speed of a 3200+ AthlonXP (2.2Ghz) and it shouldn't even break a sweat!! According to the reviews at Newegg, there's people there hitting 2.6 -- 2.7 Ghz with that Mobile XP 2500+ @ 1.8v core on the Abit NF7-S!! (using Tictac's Modded BIOS's tho :eek: ) :D

If the Barton is locked (which shouldn't happen if you get that Mobile 2500+ you've been looking at), things get a wee bit complicated. According to my math, the processor defaults to 133 FSB (x2 for 266 FSB) + 14x Multi = 1862 Ghz, which is a right in line with the 1.83 Ghz is supposed to do. Can't crank it to 200Mhz FSB with that 14x multiplier -- either your board won't POST or it'll refuse to apply the overclock and go back to the default speed. With this scenario, you'd be forced to start with the default 133 FSB setting and slowly raise it via 1Mhz increments (if the BIOS supports doing that) until it your system fails to POST or boot-up. Theoretically, you could probably make it to 140Mhz x 14 for a total of about 2Ghz ... but that's pushing it since it depends on many factors.

Hence it best to just avoid -- to the best you can -- a CPU that's locked. :)

Oh and I'm gonna use Mushkin 2.5 4, 4. if that helps any.

Good RAM!! I have generic Xerox RAM right now and I can't recall how much I can push with my FSB at 200 it so I usually have it set for 11-3-3 @ CAS3 (it'll do CAS 2.5 if I downclock the FSB down to 166Mhz default ... but who wants to do THAT?!?!) :D

so_cal_forever
07-18-04, 11:35 AM
I'd stick with the 512mb and the mobile, but get something good, at least some XMS or OCZ EL. The only real charm to the mobiles is the overclocking potential, so make sure you've got a good aftermarket HSF as well.

mrdak
07-18-04, 05:32 PM
Phychosy,
Thanks loads for the extra effort here, but unfortunaddo,,,dat weren't no typo. ;-)
I have xp2400+ Tbred B. Locked like a fat rat full of colby cheese. so I leave it at default everything,,,15 x 133, do I run the muskin at lower speeds ?? When I get the board in front of me tomorrow, I'm gonna post back with some stuff. You see, I've had a couple of msi K7T turbo 2 mobo's for like 4 years now, A very stable solid board. just too old now, and Ive never had a board and chip combo that would allow anything more that a 266 fsb. so I beez confused. Im gonna get a 2500 mobile, but I have to sell my Audigy2ZS first......75.00 shipped..almost new,,,if you're interested..;-0...till then Im having to make the best of this 2400+,,,I wish I could unlock it. :-(

mrdak
07-18-04, 05:36 PM
I'd stick with the 512mb and the mobile, but get something good, at least some XMS or OCZ EL. The only real charm to the mobiles is the overclocking potential, so make sure you've got a good aftermarket HSF as well.

Thats what I was going to do but the mushkin 3200 2.5 4 4 was pretty cheap. so I got 2 512's should I run dual channel ?? or not. Im goin back for the mobile barton asap.. Im sure they are getting scarce ??
I hope not...and uuuuh, wanna buy an Audigy2ZS ? 75.00. shipped ??
never hurts to ask ;-)

mustrum
07-19-04, 08:17 AM
512mb and the mobile. Just don't buy 2x 256mb. Buy one 512 module and another (better take a brand where you can get the same stick again later on) as soon you can afford it.

PsychoSy
07-19-04, 08:54 AM
Plus, your next planned upgrade could be in the A64 market down the road, meaning you'll have to invest in different RAM anyway.

Why did I type this?

*looks over at computer in corner*

Man, I've got to get away from these old P4 rigs that still use Rambus.
They tend to cloud my thinking! :p

do I run the muskin at lower speeds ??

If the BIOS has an "Auto" setting for DRAM speed, use it. That should force the RAM speed to the same speed as the FSB (e.g. 266Mhz). If not, use "By SPD", which will probably run it at 333 or 400 Mhz but, theoretically, shouldn't be a problem.

You see, I've had a couple of msi K7T turbo 2 mobo's for like 4 years now, A very stable solid board.

Yeah, when they're not popping capacitors. ;)

I had a K7T Pro 2-A for about a year or so, which isn't much different. If you recall, these boards had faulty voltage regulators controllers. I used it for my brothers rig and the way I had the cooling set up was cool air would flow right over the voltage regulator controller (in hindsight, I should've have made a headsink for it). Roughly 4-6 months later, my brother calls me saying, "I just heard a pop inside the computer, it was quiet for a few moments, then two more pops. Now, my 56K modem don't work. Computer itself is fine, tho!". Told him to get a new modem. Next time I hear from him, he says, "Put that new modem in and noticed that two of those tall metal things in between the slots exploded and leaked all over the place." Every time I see him now, he briefs me on more exploding caps but the board still works. I keep telling him $50 would cure the problem ... but he insists on living with it. :p

I'm gonna get a 2500 mobile, but I have to sell my Audigy2ZS first......75.00 shipped..almost new,,,if you're interested..;-0

If I had the cash to spare, I would nab it off ya! :)

mrdak
07-20-04, 06:55 PM
Very funny man, That kinda sounds like my brother...OK it's 5:30 Tuesday and I finally was able to track my 2 little minchkuns,,,They left Ft. Worth Texas and will most likely be here in the AM. Then I'll post back, I do have the board, so after I look through the bios setup in the manual, I know I'll have a couple questions. Man this is a nice looking board, About the on board audio, It's supposed to have the C media, with the AC97 codec, but there aint nothin here referring to C media, only the AC97 and a realtek audio sound manager. wierd, I thought I was supposed to get audio software with the NForce drivers...I mean, how many audio drivers come with this thing,,,,I've read in the Epox forums where several people ask about this. Not too many very good answers over there either. AC97....Nvidia soundstorm, C-media, Realtek audio manager. ??????????....I must look into this, because I've seen where people had some problems with audio in games, and it must be do to the lack of info regarding drivers and codecs, and whatnot...Ill be back...,,,,,,,,Dude,,,,You Crack me UP !!,,

A quote,,

Re: I've invented a new thermal compound,,solder..... :drooling:

__________________,,,,,,,,,,,,,................... .

See solder melt.
See solder achieve viscosity
See solder thinning under extreme heat
See solder run and drip from under the core
See solder come in contact with L1 & L2 bridges
SEE SMOKE AND PRETTY LIGHTS!!! ________________ROTFLMAO ! :lol2: