PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 is Almost Here!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jAkUp
07-15-04, 03:41 AM
Sorry for the spam topic... I'm just so ****ing excited about this... I have waited 3 years for this game. Glad to see the wait is finally drawing to a close guys. I have halted playing all games for now since I cannot get my mind off of doom3. This is what I first upgraded my computer for. Hehe. A P4 2.4, and a 5800 Ultra. I bought that stuff for this game. Funny how nothing in my system is the same anymore.

I just know doom3 is gonna rock our socks off. Now, I have been waiting impatiently for this game since the day the E3 video leaked on the net. Unbelievable how long ago that was.. now the time is near!

I have had so many great experiences with the shareware of Doom (never had the full version since I was flat broke.) I would play that game for hours upon hours, and seemed to never get bored. I would wake up early so I could play it before school, rush home so I can play some more doom, and stay up late dooming away on the shareware of doom. I swear I must of beat the shareware version at least a few hundred times.

Wow, just wow. Never can I remember being this excited about an upcoming game as now. I am even trying to get that day off from work! Hehe...

Its here guys, 20 more days and we can finally play what we have been drooling over for the last 3 years, and it couldn't look better.

Lets give the original doom shareware a run once again, DL it here:
http://www.gamers.org/pub/games/idgames/idstuff/doom/doom19s.zip

Great times are ahead of us guys, from August 3rd and on, I'm scared I might lose my job and my GF :)

Come August 3rd, my PC will be Overclocked, and more than ready for the experience that has seems I have waited a lifetime for. I'm also considering getting this monitor just for this game:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-040&depa=0

Countdown....
http://www.ua-corp.com/

:clap:

07-15-04, 03:48 AM
IDDQD/IDKFA, reminding the old days. :clap:

MUYA
07-15-04, 03:49 AM
yes Jakup dun forget to change your underwear after u install the game and first play it.
bwhahahaahha :D

doodlebob
07-15-04, 03:57 AM
Todd Hollenshead updated his .plan file (http://www.gamefinger.com/plan.asp?userid=toddh&id=16245) :clap:
Mac and Linux version info
also preparation tips tomorrow.

nvjarett
07-15-04, 05:03 AM
how long has id been developing this game ?

MUYA
07-15-04, 05:37 AM
not as long as DNF

|JuiceZ|
07-15-04, 09:12 AM
nothing has been in developement longer than DNF....

jbirney
07-15-04, 09:14 AM
Well I am not going to fall for all of the hype:

1) Single player part will be great fun. MP part? Id's games have always had strong MP parts. Q2 and Q1 were the number one spot as far as on-line players in their time. Most other games are going to larger scale interaction, Joint Ops can handle over 120 players. Yet Doom3 will be limited to 4? Why 4? I think you will see a lot of Doom3 servers pop up. I just don't see it to be the domniating force in the MP department.

2) Lack of co-op. Enuf said.

3) 20 to 24 hrs single player part seems "a bit short". Was hoping to get a longer SP part as that is what this game will carter too. However quality time is much much better than quanity of time so that may not be that big of a deal. But after 3 years of waiting for the game I dont want it to be over in a few days of playing it.

4) No DVD? WTF is up with that? I read their reasons. Why can't they just pay the cost? Epic and other compains did. I have just bought my 3rd DVD Writter for pete sakes. All 5 PCs I have in my house have a DVD or DVD Writer. Why make us play the CD shuffle game? At this rate I am wonder when we finally do move away from CDs (5 more years it seems like). People will have to upgrade their PCs anyways to play this, whats another 40 bucks for a DVD-Rom drive?

5) Unknow mod abilities. Many mod developers got their start on moding for Quake/Q2 games. I have not heard about any SDK or when it might be availible to the mod community. Hopefully we will not have to wait around. With a limited MP part, will this hurt the mod community? Granted for 99.99% of the readers here is not a big deal. But as a modder I am wondering about this. Who knows the next big mod (Counter Strike or Desert Combat) could be a Doom3 one?

Other than that this game will rock And ROCK HARD. I have no doubt it will be worth every penny. But those points above already make my a bit dissapointed in it...

|JuiceZ|
07-15-04, 09:21 AM
Well I am not going to fall for all of the hype:

1) Single player part will be great fun. MP part? Id's games have always had strong MP parts. Q2 and Q1 were the number one spot as far as on-line players in their time. Most other games are going to larger scale interaction, Joint Ops can handle over 120 players. Yet Doom3 will be limited to 4? Why 4? I think you will see a lot of Doom3 servers pop up. I just don't see it to be the domniating force in the MP department.

2) Lack of co-op. Enuf said.

3) 20 to 24 hrs single player part seems "a bit short". Was hoping to get a longer SP part as that is what this game will carter too. However quality time is much much better than quanity of time so that may not be that big of a deal. But after 3 years of waiting for the game I dont want it to be over in a few days of playing it.

4) No DVD? WTF is up with that? I read their reasons. Why can't they just pay the cost? Epic and other compains did. I have just bought my 3rd DVD Writter for pete sakes. All 5 PCs I have in my house have a DVD or DVD Writer. Why make us play the CD shuffle game? At this rate I am wonder when we finally do move away from CDs (5 more years it seems like). People will have to upgrade their PCs anyways to play this, whats another 40 bucks for a DVD-Rom drive?

5) Unknow mod abilities. Many mod developers got their start on moding for Quake/Q2 games. I have not heard about any SDK or when it might be availible to the mod community. Hopefully we will not have to wait around. With a limited MP part, will this hurt the mod community? Granted for 99.99% of the readers here is not a big deal. But as a modder I am wondering about this. Who knows the next big mod (Counter Strike or Desert Combat) could be a Doom3 one?

Other than that this game will rock And ROCK HARD. I have no doubt it will be worth every penny. But those points above already make my a bit dissapointed in it...

:thumbsup:

Fatman
07-15-04, 09:44 AM
I agree with jbirney, 20-24 hours of gameplay is a bit on the short side. That and crippled multiplayer... 8 for the Xbox, 4 for PC? WTF is this, the twilight zone? From what I understand this limit was put in place by design, rather than tech limitations, although per poly hit detection will require higher pings and more bandwidth. I'm pretty sure there will be mods and hacks that would allow for more than 4 players in mp.

zoomy942
07-15-04, 09:53 AM
i agree with all this. i have waited since the old days to play this. dom is proabably what got most of us hooked on games. pressing the space bar against a wall to find the secret doors is a classic!

like i keep saying.. i hope my 9800 likes this game, i traded my 5900 se for it. so we shall see

07-15-04, 10:05 AM
Is DOOM3 modable?

Bad_Boy
07-15-04, 10:36 AM
how long is far cry on average?

Slyder
07-15-04, 10:50 AM
Im pretty sick to the back teeth of seeing new threads on this to be honest. Doom 3 has gone gold, and going to be out soon... woo-hoo.

I agree with jbirney. I am not personally excited about this. The single player game will be good I guess, but nothing to original from what I have seen before.

Multiplayer is where Doom 3 is going to be tested, and (as most games) will most likely fail miserably.

Reasons are :-
Lack of Co-Op
Lack of Counter CoOp (anyone old enough to remember Perfect Dark on N64 will know what I mean)
Lack of PunkBuster for online anti cheat.

Now, granted not many games use counter co-op but its nice to have. I also expect to play with upto 3 friends using my joypads on my comp. A feature you never see, but again (nice to have) PunkBuster is a must. Its bad enough when a game you have been waiting for o-so-long is delayed and delayed, but when it hits the market you are constantly killed by some hacker on the game using stupid exploits. Bots are another must. I expect to be able to play solely against them, and/or put them into an online or lan server. I also expect to be able to team these up as I see fit and give each induvidual bot a skill level.

On a final note, if for example you have a certain spec PC, the game would unlock the feature to use dual view correctly and use upto 8 human players N64 style on the 2 screens.

Doom 3 will (as I have pointed out) most likely fail on bringing a good 90% of what I expect from a multiplayer game, so the longevity just wont be there from the word go. Its the simple things which were implemented into old games, which developers miss on purpose.

gigapower
07-15-04, 11:03 AM

DOOM3 is very modable. To start the map editor in DOOM3 pull down the command prompt and type \editor and then boom there goes the editor. You might have to start the retail version with something like "doom3.exe -editor" I know that is only a portion of what goes into a mod, but I'm sure we will see the SDK soon.

Now about the MP in DOOM3, if you went to QC last year and played it you will know that its going to be a blast! Light, darkness, and shadows play a huge role in the way you play the MP, very much like in Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow's MP.

DOOM3 is coming and its gonna rock!

Vagrant Zero
07-15-04, 12:02 PM
People who want D3 too be original should shut the hell up and go play the original Doom. If it ain't broke...us fanboys will burn down Texas if it's fixed.

leatherface
07-15-04, 01:05 PM
OH! OH! OH!

I can confirm that the well know "Birdman" is much much larger than he looks in the pic, and is actually the new baron of hell!!!!

how pimp

|JuiceZ|
07-15-04, 01:40 PM
OH! OH! OH!

I can confirm that the well know "Birdman" is much much larger than he looks in the pic, and is actually the new baron of hell!!!!

how pimp

now tell me this inside guy, how early do you guys get a chance to play w/ games b4 they're released? Had a buddy who worked for EB yrs ago who always got them a couple days early. Being as your in the distribution center though, just thought I'd ask.

Arioch
07-15-04, 01:41 PM
People who want D3 too be original should shut the hell up and go play the original Doom. If it ain't broke...us fanboys will burn down Texas if it's fixed.

Just bring it Yankee boy - we Texans ain't scared of you!

leatherface
07-15-04, 03:00 PM
juicez

he's in the manual :-)

|JuiceZ|
07-15-04, 03:15 PM
juicez

he's in the manual :-)

lol, thx brainiac :p

jAkUp
07-15-04, 03:20 PM
Will EB have the game on Teusday? Or do I have to wait until Wednesday?
I ask because a few times they had the games on Teusday, the day it says on www.ebworld.com
But other times I had to wait till the next day. The only reason I ask is because I want to take that day off :)

Riptide
07-15-04, 03:21 PM
Taking a day off to play a game?? And I thought I was an addict! :D

|JuiceZ|
07-15-04, 03:22 PM
Its hard to tell man, remember the UT2004 fiasco? Some stores got preorders Tues, others got them on the next day & even Thursday. The only thing certain right now though is if you want a copy of the first availible day you'd better preorder :type:

Vagrant Zero
07-15-04, 03:23 PM
I've already requested Tues and Wed off.