PDA

View Full Version : New guy. Need some help!

Melhisedek
07-15-04, 03:49 PM
Hi mates!
Well after at least 2 years I'm back to Nvidia. Much has changed since than and I'm almost lost =)
I bought Gainward 6800GT and have it clocked at 420/1.12
I use 61.71 Forcewares and 9.0b

I have a few Qs to ask so please bare with me :)

1. What's up with that test button and o/c-ing? How does it find if it's ok to use clocks or not? Can you bypass it somehow ? Thing is on most ocasions it says I can't use clocks but I can't notice any problems or artifacts so maybe I can do even better =P

2. Sometimes when I benchmark in 3dMark03 pic will freeze for a few seconds and than continue, but than my score gets lower.

3. This one bugs me quite much I have to say. When I clone my desktop in order to watch movies on TV wierd stuff happens. Like I can see subtitles only on TV or only on monitor... ( depending which one I chose as my main ) I need subtitles because of my parents so this one bugs me a lot. I tried fooling around with "fullscreen" settings ( I hope you call them that in English, they show up after you have enabled cloning ) but I get similar results but this time in fullscreen only :/

Man I'm blown away with this card. UT2k4 flies and NWN can at last be played in its full glory :) I haven't tried any other games but I will :)
So far I enabled 4xAA, 16xAF and Quality setting in Control Panel. There are plenty of other advanced settings as well but I have no idea what they do so until someone have time and will to explain them I'll leave them alone :/

4. Are there any other settings I can enable for better IQ?
And lastly
5. What settings should I use when I bench ? ( except for AA+AF+Vsync off )

I have installed Coolbits2 that I found in sticky on this forum...

That would be it so far...
My spec:
P4 2.6@3.19
1 Gig PC3200 RAM
Abit IC7
Win XP SP1 + DX9.0b

Stock 3dMark : 10971
o/c 420/1120 : 12494

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!!

rewt
07-15-04, 04:03 PM
1. RivaTuner will let you O/C higher by bypassing the driver's internal clock test. But you will first have to go into "power user" mode to disable the internal clock test.

2. It could be that you have O/C too high and your card is overstressed, therefore it begins to throttle back on GPU speed. Using RivaTuner to force constant performance level may help solve this.

3. ?? sorry I have never used this feature.

4. Yes, many settings inside RivaTuner, lol. Such as Level of Detail, AA, AF, Intellisample, Pixel Shader, Emulation, etc.

5. Default driver settings, High quality, High performance, or anything in between. You're choice. High performance will usually give you a higher score.

Hope this helps :)

Clay
07-15-04, 04:09 PM
1. What's up with that test button and o/c-ing? How does it find if it's ok to use clocks or not? Can you bypass it somehow ? Thing is on most ocasions it says I can't use clocks but I can't notice any problems or artifacts so maybe I can do even better =PGood question and I don't have a good answer for you but someone will shortly I'm sure. As a general rule I abide by the results of the test. Using RivaTuner to bypass that check is very risky business. ;)

2. Sometimes when I benchmark in 3dMark03 pic will freeze for a few seconds and than continue, but than my score gets lower. That sounds like you might have your core clock a bit too high. What kind of PSU do you have, are you pulling 16A or more on your 12V rail?

3. This one bugs me quite much I have to say. When I clone my desktop in order to watch movies on TV wierd stuff happens. Like I can see subtitles only on TV or only on monitor... ( depending which one I chose as my main ) I need subtitles because of my parents so this one bugs me a lot. I tried fooling around with "fullscreen" settings ( I hope you call them that in English, they show up after you have enabled cloning ) but I get similar results but this time in fullscreen only :/Another good question that I'll have to pass on. :)

Man I'm blown away with this card. UT2k4 flies and NWN can at last be played in its full glory :) I haven't tried any other games but I will :)
So far I enabled 4xAA, 16xAF and Quality setting in Control Panel. There are plenty of other advanced settings as well but I have no idea what they do so until someone have time and will to explain them I'll leave them alone :/ Do some searches on things you have questions about here in the forums, odds are you'll find some good answers.

4. Are there any other settings I can enable for better IQ?
And lastly Leave your slider on "Quality" ("High Quality" is overkill, not intended for games and exceeds even ATI's highest quality settings) You can disable the optimisations for Trilinear and AF in the CP but performance may/may not take a hit depending on the games you are playing at the time. The optimisations are very well implemented now though so I'd recommend leaving them at their default settings in the CP.

5. What settings should I use when I bench ? ( except for AA+AF+Vsync off )That all depends on what you're benching. If you want to explore how optimisations regarding Trilinear and AF affect your games turn one or both off and then one or both on...test at each and see what you get.

I have installed Coolbits2 that I found in sticky on this forum...

That would be it so far...
My spec:
P4 2.6@3.19
1 Gig PC3200 RAM
Abit IC7
Win XP SP1 + DX9.0b

Stock 3dMark : 10971
o/c 420/1120 : 12494

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!!You'll see your performance go up a bit with DirectX 9.0c for DX9 games and 3DMark03. It's available now but not "officially" released by Microsoft.

Good luck and welcome to nV News. :)

Melhisedek
07-15-04, 04:27 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I've never seen nv Control Panel before so everything is new for me :) ( But it sure looks cool )
I have Antec 480W PSU and I really can't tell how many Amps I'm pulling on 12V line but I can say that I only have the usual stuff. No extra fans, 2HD, 1CD, 1DVD ROM and that's it.
I reckon it halts because of throtling or something ( I read about it on forum here )

About benching I thought of all settings I should set to off or something. My problem is that all the settings are in Swedish and I have hard time finding their counterparts in English :/ So it's kind a hard to do a search :(

About mipmaps I see one can alter quality of it. Is that acceptable or do people avoid this one? ( I have so far )

And there is one setting in D3D tab about frames it will render before (or something)
What does that one do?

Also should I enable or disable "Fastwrites"?

So That leaves me with this subtitle and clone desktop problem.

Thanks again for being so kind guys! I really look forward being a part of this community!

Clay
07-15-04, 04:35 PM
Click the question mark "?" button in upper right of the CP and then click on things like D3D frames render before to see a description. Otherwise, Google it 'cause I'm not so sure myself at the moment...long night last night. :)