PDA

View Full Version : 250GB HDD showing up as 125 GB

Vagrant Zero
07-16-04, 01:09 AM
Hey guys, I just finished building my new system, installed XP Home on it but it reads my 250gb harddrive as only a 125gb? What's up? Is this a software error or did I just get ripped off from ebay? I mean the guy was a powerseller and it came in a 250gb retail box and on the drive itself it said 250WD.

stncttr908
07-16-04, 09:10 AM
Do you have SP1 installed w/XP?

Gator
07-16-04, 10:02 AM
SP1 needs to be installed in XP, and I think there is a seperate critical update for large LBA support so just use Windows update and install all the critical udates at once. Then you can either create another partition to use up the space, or use a prgram like Partition Magic to stretch your current partition.

GlowStick
07-16-04, 12:38 PM
hello,

Yes, to get your large hard drive to work you need to do some steps.

First, you need to make sure you IDE contoler is ATA/133 compliant.

Next, you need to make sure you have Windows XP SP1 installed and the lateist patches. There is a patch for LBA 42bit addressing that you willl need.

After that, you will need to use a program such as partition magic to get your free space back.

An alternative is to slipstream your windows install disk with the lateist SP1 and it will actually recognize the large drive off the bat on MOST systems *some older systems will still not recognize it, however newer systems will*

Kamel
07-16-04, 01:59 PM
the urge is just unresistable....

linux can use a hard drive (or raid array) up to 15 tb :D

sorry, i had to be the smartass on that one, the urge was just overbaring, lol

on a more serious note, had a friend with the same problem, if you've just reformatted the drive or can back it up, all you need to do is install xp sp1 and reformat the drive again. under some circumstances that wont work, but almost always it will

Vagrant Zero
07-16-04, 05:47 PM
Ya the XP I installed wasn't SP1...it's the one that came with my old dell, I already bought Home but it's still in the mail so I gotta wait it out on this first.

Thanks everyone.