PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte FX5900XT Bios - Scarce Info

Zol80
07-16-04, 04:46 PM
Just got myself a Gigabyte FX5900XT (Model GV-N59X128D). Been using it for a while, getting reasonable 3DMark 2003 scores of over 5000 and AquaMark3 scores of over 36,000. Only problem is that it occasionally, maybe twice in 4 hours of play, turns itself off (display goes blank and the little blue neon lit fan stops). Its not being overclocked at all, I've got a 350W power supply, and i haven't done anything stupid with it. Also got 3 case fans and plenty ventilation.

I've been looking at bios updates on the Gigabyte website, and information as to exactly what these updates do, or who needs to use them is extremely sketchy. There seems to be 3 revisions, all using the same nvidia source bios. The latest of which, released in April of this year supposedly "fixes voltage" and some note of ECLK/MCLK 390/350.

Firstly, I got my card a couple of weeks ago. Will this new revision already be on the card? Does anybody know what this voltage fix is for?

Secondly, I looked at the card speeds as measured by 3DMark: GPU clock 300Mhz and Memory clock of 700Mhz. Will this bios update change it to 390/700 as a standard running speed, and is this a generally good idea?

Hope somebody knows what I'm prattling on about. I'm always rather dubious about messing around with bios stuff.

Thnxs
Z

PS. Seen a 6800 running. Very cool. Even cooler when V1.2 patch for Far Cry comes out ... I'm gonna be a permanent feature at my friends place!

jimmor
07-16-04, 05:19 PM
Just got myself a Gigabyte FX5900XT (Model GV-N59X128D). Been using it for a while, getting reasonable 3DMark 2003 scores of over 5000 and AquaMark3 scores of over 36,000. Only problem is that it occasionally, maybe twice in 4 hours of play, turns itself off (display goes blank and the little blue neon lit fan stops). Its not being overclocked at all, I've got a 350W power supply, and i haven't done anything stupid with it. Also got 3 case fans and plenty ventilation.

I've been looking at bios updates on the Gigabyte website, and information as to exactly what these updates do, or who needs to use them is extremely sketchy. There seems to be 3 revisions, all using the same nvidia source bios. The latest of which, released in April of this year supposedly "fixes voltage" and some note of ECLK/MCLK 390/350.

Firstly, I got my card a couple of weeks ago. Will this new revision already be on the card? Does anybody know what this voltage fix is for?

Secondly, I looked at the card speeds as measured by 3DMark: GPU clock 300Mhz and Memory clock of 700Mhz. Will this bios update change it to 390/700 as a standard running speed, and is this a generally good idea?

Hope somebody knows what I'm prattling on about. I'm always rather dubious about messing around with bios stuff.

Thnxs
Z

PS. Seen a 6800 running. Very cool. Even cooler when V1.2 patch for Far Cry comes out ... I'm gonna be a permanent feature at my friends place!

As far as bios is concerned, you should always just update with latest version.

The stock speeds of your card are 300 in 2D, 390 in 3D and memory at 700 in all modes.

Your problem could be temperature related. Not all XT cards have temp sensors so dont know that you can actually check ?

Case cooling is also most important, as the higher it goes has a knock on effect to your graphics card. And this becomes more serious if you live in a hot climate.

However no point just suspecting your card, as the problem you describe could also be driver related. So which are you using ?

I always use 53.03 as it has shown to be very stable for all my needs. Therefore think it is worth you trying 53.03 just to see if it helps your problem ?

Zol80
07-17-04, 10:45 AM
There doesn't seem to be any way of establishing what bios revision the card is already running with. I don't want to be messing around with bios flashing unless its pretty obvious that it needs doing.

Specific information regarding this particular brand of card seems as rare as rocking horse sh*t.

Z