PDA

View Full Version : Question about HardOCP image comparison in FarCry

Pages : [1] 2

Gauss
07-16-04, 06:27 PM
http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA4OTIzNDA3NzZ6ZkxtNW1xRXpfMl83X 2wuanBn

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone know when and if this will be fixed? Or if it already has. I'm looking to get a 6800 GT, so I'd like to know if this is fixed.

sonyman
07-16-04, 06:30 PM
That issue will be fixed in the 1.2 patch, and it is already fixed if you use tommti-system's fix.

Scott

Gauss
07-16-04, 06:32 PM
And I just noticed from this thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30854 that it can be fixed. I don't have Farcry, so I don't know **** about the settings.

Clay
07-16-04, 09:34 PM
http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA4OTIzNDA3NzZ6ZkxtNW1xRXpfMl83X 2wuanBn

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone know when and if this will be fixed? Or if it already has. I'm looking to get a 6800 GT, so I'd like to know if this is fixed.

You can see the fix in effect from this thread a couple weeks ago (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31104#post356739).

HEMI
07-16-04, 09:38 PM
I would never use Hard OCP as a neutral site for VCs. It may only be me but they seem to lean heavily towards ATI. Other than that it is an excellent site.

ChrisRay
07-16-04, 09:38 PM
You can see the fix in effect from this thread a couple weeks ago (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31104#post356739).

You deserve a spanking for linking to your own material! :spank:

Clay
07-16-04, 09:52 PM
You deserve a spanking for linking to your own material! :spank:
/me quickly points to your last two sig lines :D :angel:

ChrisRay
07-16-04, 09:53 PM
/me quickly points to your last two sig lines :D :angel:

That doesnt count :)

Ghosthunter
07-17-04, 01:04 AM
I would never use Hard OCP as a neutral site for VCs. It may only be me but they seem to lean heavily towards ATI. Other than that it is an excellent site.

I only seen in the last round 9800 vs FX series and IMO ATI beat nvidia that round

evilchris
07-17-04, 01:19 AM
The [H] is not a good source for video card reviews imo. I think they are terrible. I love how they try and tell us what is and what is not playable. That is a very subjective thing.

Vagrant Zero
07-17-04, 02:24 AM
I just played through the first 2 levels of Far Cry at 1600x1200 4xAA16xAF Ops on Max in-game settings and I found it to be perfectly playable. HardOCP missed nuetral about 10 stops back.

Edit: On a stock GT [any OCing results in reboot for this game].

evilchris
07-17-04, 02:28 AM
I just played through the first 2 levels of Far Cry at 1600x1200 4xAA16xAF Ops on Max in-game settings and I found it to be perfectly playable. HardOCP missed nuetral about 10 stops back.

Edit: On a stock GT [any OCing results in reboot for this game].

NOOOO. YOU'RE WRONG!1!! HardOCP says you can only play at 1280!!!

ChrisRay
07-17-04, 02:32 AM
The thing that bugs me most about Hardocp style is, their system of judging reviews,

2x/16x AF is playable to thenm. But what if I'd rather play in 4x/4x ?

I mean who are they to make these judgements, By the way they do their reviews they make it seem like card wont run adequately 95% of the time in the game. Anywho, I dont read hardocp's reviews anymore, There was constructive criticism and they havent been listening. So I just dont read them anymore.

msxyz
07-17-04, 02:53 AM
I would never use Hard OCP as a neutral site for VCs. It may only be me but they seem to lean heavily towards ATI. Other than that it is an excellent site.Odd, how people used to say until the last year that [H] was on Nvidia's pockets.

I guess most of the good or bad fame of a review site depends more on the general consensus among hardware geeks than anything else.

Remember that people who write reviews have their opinions, sometimes they may even be biased (just like most of us thought only a few are willing to admit this).

Besides, when you have the results that comes from different benchmarks you can make your own opinion. I judge a good hardware from the tests made rather than from the opinion of the reviewer. For me, numbers and screenshots are more importants that words. True, you can try to push one product over another by comparing them under different conditions but most people with a good knowledge of hardware and software will see the truth even through this smokescreen.

Back to [H] reviews, rather than having a dozen of sites testing cards at the usual 4x/8x they try something different. I fail to see the bad in this. It's up to the single reader to judge if the data is useful or not for their intended use of the card

coldpower27
07-17-04, 11:51 AM
They only play a minor role of determining of which is a better video card, I don't really like subjective reviews like this, but it gives a fresh perspective.

To me they are clearly too PRO ATI to me.

They claimed a X800 Pro was as good as 6800 Ultra :bash:

They always make these apple to oranges comparisons. But thankfully all other sites use a standardized mrthod which make subjectiveness reduced. :clap:

Sazar
07-17-04, 11:57 AM

what in anyway does this have to do with the thread?

UDawg
07-17-04, 12:32 PM
Saz is right. If you have a complaint about HOCP then register at their site and talk directly to them.

Rollo
07-17-04, 03:23 PM
NOOOO. YOU'RE WRONG!1!! HardOCP says you can only play at 1280!!!

LOL

As Homer Simpson would say,"It's funny because it's true!"

:clap:

evilchris
07-17-04, 03:29 PM
Saz is right. If you have a complaint about HOCP then register at their site and talk directly to them.

Y, they couldn't care less. They all have "31337 syndrome". Brent think's he is a benchmarking mastermind! A visionary! A revolutionary!

Sazar
07-17-04, 03:40 PM
Y, they couldn't care less. They all have "31337 syndrome". Brent think's he is a benchmarking mastermind! A visionary! A revolutionary!

again this has nothing to do with the thread and the question asked...

if you have a feeling that brent has wronged you perhaps you should take it up in the [H] forums...

the problem reported was a common one and many sites had IQ compares and showed it to exist... its not something singularly made up...

UDawg
07-17-04, 04:12 PM

Saz is correct again. We don't want forum wars going on. We have had too many in recient months. We just don't need that kind of attention.

Lets get this back on topic. This issue is settle. Thanks :)

ChrisRay
07-17-04, 04:15 PM
Alright everyone, Please stop as Udawg has asked. Steeda please dont question the moderators when they make request of you to cease and desist.

Back on topic. if you'd like r300 IQ just use the .dll from tommti systems which allow you to use FP16 or FP32.

Please refer to this thread for more information.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30854

Brent
07-17-04, 07:38 PM

or email us

Brent
07-17-04, 07:39 PM

i care

i listen to all feedback

HEMI
07-17-04, 07:51 PM
HARD OCP during their first review seemed to me, in my opinion, that they declared ATI the winner of the new cards. They did not even take into account that the 6800 was ALL new chipset. They also stated that the GT would no way be able to compete with the ATI pro. They just jumped the gun on their conclusion. Go read the conclusion it sounded pretty one-sided to me. :retard:
It definetly was a premature conclusion!