PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 6800GT - first thoughts..

dnottis
07-16-04, 09:02 PM
I just picked up an EVGA 6800GT and when trying to overclock hit a ceiling of 385/1.06. This kind of sucks since so many others are getting well over Ultra speeds. Grr - any suggestions?

Second thing is which drivers is everyone using now? There are so many sets out there to download.

The last thing is that I still find the 6800GT to not run smooth in some games, like GTA VC - its silk on my X800 but it's choppy on the 6800GT. Tiger Woods 2004 is also running / benchmarking much slower on the 6800 - it seems like some issues that started with the 5900 cards are still issues in the drivers.

UT2003 and 2004 play great as do CoD and a bunch of other games. 3d Mark 2003 is a touch faster - 11,300 vs (X800 Pro) 10,500 and 3d Mark 2001 SE is a touch slower 24,500 vs (X800 Pro) 25,700. Aquamark 3 is 68 Fps.

I'm not trying to flame or get flamed just wanted to post what I've found so far and hear your takes on this... thanks!

noko
07-16-04, 10:04 PM
I hit a ceiling of 390mhz and that is with core temps less then 60c. So this isn't too uncommon, remember we didn't buy an Ultra so getting Ultra speeds is only an additional bonus. As another thought, even with the GT at stock speeds many of us will be cpu limited. Try to overclock the memory by itself, I was able to do 1.15 without any problems. What this could buy you is faster AA and faster FPS in high resolution gaming, more so then just a gpu overclock. Still the difference between 385mhz and 400mhz is probably only 1-2 FPS real difference in many games so I say don't sweat it.

As for the choppiness, drivers I believe will take care of that. Remember this is a whole new architecture while the X800 series is mostly based off of R300 technology. Not much I can say here specifically.

dnottis
07-17-04, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the reply I managed to get 1.1 out of the memory but the core wont go past 385... grrr..

ssj4goku887
07-17-04, 12:36 PM
i found that the best drivers are the 61.36 drivers. get the best performance and iq

jimmyjames123
07-17-04, 01:30 PM
Make sure to use some type of driver cleaner to clean out traces of older drivers, especially considering that you are coming from an ATI card. A reformat also probably wouldn't hurt either.

extreme_dB
07-17-04, 01:49 PM
I plan on getting an EVGA GT too (cheapest option currently for Canadians AFAIK), and there is no way in hell that I would reformat to get rid of every trace of the ATI drivers. It would take me perhaps hundreds of hours to get every program/component/game reinstalled and reconfigured. I don't bother making images of my installation to revert back to because I have a pretty complex setup with 10 partitions on 3 hard drives.

Instead, I use Inctrl5 to track the changes to my system (registry and files) when installing drivers and programs so they can be uninstalled completely. I will perform the most rigorous driver cleaning methods and then doublecheck with Inctrl5. :)

dnottis
07-17-04, 02:19 PM
Make sure to use some type of driver cleaner to clean out traces of older drivers, especially considering that you are coming from an ATI card. A reformat also probably wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the tip, I always format everytime I change hardware! :)
I wish more people would - especially coming from ATI - people install a new card and flame about how it doesn't work right.

dnottis
07-17-04, 02:20 PM
Does anyone else notice GTA VC just isn't smooth with the Nvidia cards? Not to preach but the ATI cards were like butter with it.

oh one other thing - do you HAVE to use DX9.0c with the newer drivers? Will performance be decreased, what other side effects using dx9.0b?

Thanks again guys!

jimmyjames123
07-17-04, 02:27 PM
Your issue does seem to be driver-related. What drivers are you using right now?

I suggest searching a little bit here and in the Forceware driver forum to get a sense of what are some of the nicer drivers to use on the 6800 cards.

dnottis
07-17-04, 02:47 PM
I've tried - 61.76, 62.11, 61.72 (beta), 61.45 & EVGA 61.72.

TISaint
07-17-04, 02:57 PM
I plan on getting an EVGA GT too (cheapest option currently for Canadians AFAIK), and there is no way in hell that I would reformat to get rid of every trace of the ATI drivers. It would take me perhaps hundreds of hours to get every program/component/game reinstalled and reconfigured. I don't bother making images of my installation to revert back to because I have a pretty complex setup with 10 partitions on 3 hard drives.

Instead, I use Inctrl5 to track the changes to my system (registry and files) when installing drivers and programs so they can be uninstalled completely. I will perform the most rigorous driver cleaning methods and then doublecheck with Inctrl5. :)

You have 10 partitions and you install all your games under c: ?

dnottis
07-17-04, 03:02 PM
I hit a ceiling of 390mhz and that is with core temps less then 60c. So this isn't too uncommon, remember we didn't buy an Ultra so getting Ultra speeds is only an additional bonus. As another thought, even with the GT at stock speeds many of us will be cpu limited. Try to overclock the memory by itself, I was able to do 1.15 without any problems. What this could buy you is faster AA and faster FPS in high resolution gaming, more so then just a gpu overclock. Still the difference between 385mhz and 400mhz is probably only 1-2 FPS real difference in many games so I say don't sweat it.

As for the choppiness, drivers I believe will take care of that. Remember this is a whole new architecture while the X800 series is mostly based off of R300 technology. Not much I can say here specifically.

Hey what kind of temps do you get idle load? I idle usually 54 - 56 and load of 72 was the highest so far.

oozish
07-17-04, 03:11 PM
Hey what kind of temps do you get idle load? I idle usually 54 - 56 and load of 72 was the highest so far.

try running this while monitoring your temps:
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

extreme_dB
07-17-04, 03:37 PM
You have 10 partitions and you install all your games under c: ?

No, C: is for the operating system, tertiary swap file (beginning of drive) and various utilities. :) If I reformat C:, then the registry is gone, which affects all the programs on the other drives. If I save the registry, or save the registry entries that each program installs for later restoration, then screwy things can start happening.

I won't reformat for just a graphics card change. Also, I upgrade my entire platform every 2 years or so, and do a completely new installation at that time.

kahloq
07-17-04, 04:47 PM
I've tried - 61.76, 62.11, 61.72 (beta), 61.45 & EVGA 61.72.

try 61.71's so far they have worked the best for me. Also, if you want, try the 61.21's. Thats what came with my card.

dnottis
07-17-04, 05:12 PM
Will do. I've seen lots of people using the 61.71's. In fact I've seen people getting higher scores with 3dm 2003 using them. I'll let you guys know how they work out.

thanks!

Burnt_Ram
07-17-04, 07:48 PM

Instead, I use Inctrl5 to track the changes to my system (registry and files) when installing drivers and programs so they can be uninstalled completely. I will perform the most rigorous driver cleaning methods and then doublecheck with Inctrl5. :)i just order a gainward 6800GT GS for 565.00 cdn at www.ntcw.com and they come with 1.6 ns ram same as the Ultra's, and they run at 1200mhz memory factory :) so i'm assuming my GT will do 1200mhz as well

therapture
07-17-04, 08:02 PM
My EVGA card was losing it's sticker on the fan....it does happen...whether or not it would have gotten sucked into the fan and stopped it remains to be seen.

When I had my case open today I checked it, it was almost ready to fall off. Better check yours....

dnottis
07-18-04, 12:40 AM
I did check mine today, it's on there fine but I may remove it as a precaution. I may even RMA this card though after the poor OC results...

noko
07-18-04, 02:03 AM

Idle temps are 38-40c, I have an A/C cooled case. In the summer (Florida) I end up blowing around 10c air into my box. Now in the winter I can lower it to around 0c. So if I let my GT warm up to like yours I may have even a lower overclock. I've been playing around with bios's with my mobo and now I have a 230 fsb with tight memory timings of 11-2-2-2 which gave me about 500 more points in 3dMark03 :). More then one way to skin a cat. Game on.