PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 GT overheated - sticker to blame?

Pantherman
07-16-04, 11:16 PM
A couple of weeks ago I got a BFG 6800 GT OC from an online retailer. I tried it in 4 different computers and was getting graphical glitches in certain games and benchmarks like Far Cry and 3DMark 2001 SE. I had to RMA the card as defective. I saw a PNY 6800 GT in my local CompUSA. I've had good luck with PNY cards, so I gave it a try. It works GREAT!!! No problems so far in ANY games the past two hours. The PNY card does not have a sticker on the fan while the BFG card did have one. Maybe the sticker was causing the fan to run slower and the card to overheat? Either way, the PNY card is great. Now if I only had a faster CPU for the card.

sonyman
07-16-04, 11:20 PM
Unless the sticker fell off into the fan blade and stopped the fan, it wasn't the culprit.

Scott

Pantherman
07-16-04, 11:26 PM
The card was just defective then. I thought my power supply was the culprit, but it obviously wasn't in this case.

Ruined
07-16-04, 11:54 PM
BTW, apparently BFG is no longer attaching stickers to their 6800GT cards. I emailed tech support and they told me to keep mine on, but I'm considering ripping it off.

sonyman
07-16-04, 11:55 PM
BTW, apparently BFG is no longer attaching stickers to their 6800GT cards. I emailed tech support and they told me to keep mine on, but I'm considering ripping it off.
Yep. My BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC didn't come with a sticker.

Scott

scott123
07-17-04, 12:46 AM
I looked at my PNY Ultra (had it for about a month). The sticker was just about ready to fall off. It has now been removed ( (omg) ) . I recommend that anyone with a GT or Ultra, take some tweasers, and yank it before something goes wrong.

Ruined
07-17-04, 01:20 AM
I looked at my PNY Ultra (had it for about a month). The sticker was just about ready to fall off. It has now been removed ( (omg) ) . I recommend that anyone with a GT or Ultra, take some tweasers, and yank it before something goes wrong.

Mission accomplished :)