PDA

View Full Version : BSOD problem after cpu upgrade from pentium to amd

Mr. Hunt
07-16-04, 10:58 PM
I went from a pentium 2.0 ghz to an amd athlon xp 3200 and am now having a bsod on windows xp boot. My new motherboard is SOYO KT600. Any help on solving this problem would be appreciated.

r2d2d3d4d5
07-17-04, 04:22 AM
Did you do a fresh install of windows?

mustrum
07-17-04, 04:37 AM
Your windows still boots the chipset drivers for your Intel motherboard. There is a way to fix it manually but you should do a fresh install.

Mr. Hunt
07-17-04, 08:16 AM
How could I fix it manually?

saturnotaku
07-17-04, 08:33 AM
Why don't you do a clean install?

Mr. Hunt
07-17-04, 08:46 AM
I just really don't want to have to. I have some important files on that drive. After I get it to boot properly I will probably move them to another drive and then do a fresh install.

Riptide
07-17-04, 08:59 AM
Fresh install is the best way to go, I concur with the others. PITA, but necessary.

saturnotaku
07-17-04, 09:08 AM
I just really don't want to have to. I have some important files on that drive. After I get it to boot properly I will probably move them to another drive and then do a fresh install.

That's why you need to take care of these things before doing an upgrade. ;)

Riptide
07-17-04, 09:10 AM
That's why you need to take care of these things before doing an upgrade. ;)
Heh, if it ends up being an inconvenience to get his files off of there then I'm sure he'll be more thorough the next time. Anyone who has trashed something because they've been in a hurry or whatever usually learns the first time. I know I did. :p

Mr. Hunt
07-17-04, 09:14 AM
Yeah... I know that NOW :\. I REALLY need to get those files so please tell me how to fix this problem for now. I beg you :).

Riptide
07-17-04, 09:32 AM
There are a couple ways that are a PITA I can think of off the top of my head. Get another disc drive in there and then if you have a utility like ghost image the blank with your original. Then rebuild. After rebuilding, plug in the imaged drive and then browse out and simply copy over your files.

Or, you could boot the system with a BartPE (google it) disc if you feel like making one . Catch here is you need another PC running. If you have a supported NIC you can just boot from that disc and then copy everything off the drive to another PC over the LAN.

You could also load a shareware utility that will let you copy files over a serial port (ie, VERY slow). I think these would run in safe mode. I've saved user's files at work by doing this, but if it's over a couple hundred meg be prepared to wait for literally DAYS.

Can it get into safe mode? You might just try and see if the VIA 4in1 will install from safe mode. I've never tried it, but it might be worthy giving it a go. Then maybe it'll boot and you can get your stuff off there easier.

Mr. Hunt
07-17-04, 09:54 AM
Safe mode does the same thing.

saturnotaku
07-17-04, 10:01 AM
If you have a second computer, you could take the drive you're having problems with, plug it in as a slave on that computer, then copy the files temporarily. Then do a clean install, re-plug the drive back into the second computer, grab the files back, then put it back in your main rig.

Mr. Hunt
07-17-04, 10:03 AM
Wait. Could I install XP onto another harddrive... boot to that xp and then go from there?

Gator
07-17-04, 10:11 AM
I know exactly what you want because I do the same exact thing when I want to resintall XP. I delete all the XP files, but leave the goodies so that I don't need to copy them back to the hard drive. The best way I've found to do this is as follows:

1) download http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and configure a bootable WinPE CD

2) boot up using the WinPE CD

3) delete the follow folders complete (if they exist) using the 2xExplorer included with WinPE:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINNT
C:\RECYCLED
C:\RECYCLER
C:\WUTEMP
C:\PROGRAM FILES
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION
C:\*.* (in other words all root files, not all folders!)

4) Go to "C:\Documents and Settings", go to your profile, move your "My Documents" and "Favorites" to C:\BACKUP. Then delete "C:\Documents and Settings"

5) reboot using a Win95/98 boot disk. If you need one go to http://www.bootdisk.com

6) at the command prompt, type "FDISK/MBR"

7) place your WinXP install CD in the CDROM and reboot, reinstall Windows normally, but DONOT let it format the partition, tell it to keep the current file system intact

8) after Windows is reinstalled and you created a local profile for yourself, reboot with the WinPE CD again

9) move you backup folders from C:\BACKUP to their appropriate place in "C:\Documents and Settings". Then delete the folder C:\BACKUP

10) reboot and you should be good to go

Riptide
07-17-04, 10:18 AM
Gator, that looks like a good solution. I copied that and forwarded to my work address. Could come in handy when someone plays around with something they shouldn't. :)

I think an ERD 2000 disc might also let you manipulate the files on the drive. I have a BartPE disc though, so no worries.

Slyder
07-17-04, 01:23 PM
You wont solve the problem untill you format.

I have a partition on my HDD with all my backup files, and installers to programs I like to use, so I can just format to my hearts content.

CaptNKILL
07-17-04, 03:25 PM
Wait. Could I install XP onto another harddrive... boot to that xp and then go from there?
Yes, thats what I did when I had a similar problem (though mine was going from an ATI to an Nvidia card :retard: ). I just threw a 6 gig hard drive in as the master, installed XP, then connected my normal drive as the slave (i waited because i didnt feel safe formatting and installing windows with a hard drive full of important stuff only one click away... that would suck to make a mistake), then copied the data i needed over.

Then all you have to do is do this all over again only with the drives reversed (normal drive as master, install windows, backup drive as slave, copy backups).

That should work. :nanahump: <love these new smilies :rofl

stncttr908
07-17-04, 05:43 PM
The best idea would be to just install it temporarily on another drive as you said.

Mr. Hunt
07-17-04, 09:33 PM
No such luck. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work right. I ended up trying to format and it refused to work for some unknown reason. Thanks for all of the help guys but this one seems to be unsolvable :(.

evilchris
07-18-04, 04:25 AM
Or he can just boot his XP CD and reinstall on the existing volume.... geez guys

mustrum
07-18-04, 06:02 AM
The BSOD ist most likely caused by the IDE driver. Windows still boots the old IDE driver. You can manuallly edit a file so windows boots the Win XP standart IDE driver. I forgot how to do it but it should be easy to google it.
I wouldn't do it anyways since your system wont run at 100% performance until you do a fresh install.
To much old crap you can't remove because you'll never find it.