PDA

View Full Version : EIDOS and their Insensitivity

Pages : [1] 2

MUYA
10-24-02, 11:55 AM
I just learned of Hitman's developers appalling lack of taste in this game, the following link shoud enlighten some of you and if you do find yourself agreeing with the petition please sign it.

http://www.sikhnet.com/s/Hitman2Pet

I am not Sikh nor Hindu or a Dalit but I find EIDOS direction in this game certainly leaning towards that of ignorance.

MUYA

nin_fragile14
10-24-02, 03:01 PM
Well someone has to be portrayed as the bad guys, as insensitive as that sounds. This sounds like some left wing Wal-Mart shopper took things the wrong way.

fishlung
10-24-02, 03:45 PM
I understand. But, personally, I feel that those who play this game and confuse fiction with reality are the ignorant ones. Japanese/Yakuza, Italian/Mafia, Religious/Fanatic, Foreign/Terrorist - these things are not mutually inclusive.

thcdru2k
10-24-02, 07:28 PM
seriously its just a game..

sbp
10-24-02, 10:22 PM
Its nice to see diversity at work. Instead of always having the same old bad guys-the union of villains has been expanded. Bravo. http://home.earthlink.net/~sbp777/smilies/claps.gif

Smokey
10-25-02, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by MUYA
I just learned of Hitman's developers appalling lack of taste in this game, the following link shoud enlighten some of you and if you do find yourself agreeing with the petition please sign it.

http://www.sikhnet.com/s/Hitman2Pet

I am not Sikh nor Hindu or a Dalit but I find EIDOS direction in this game certainly leaning towards that of ignorance.

MUYA

Honestly, why do peoples minds have to be so closed in this day and age? Soon no one will be allowed to make games, open there mouth to speak to others, draw, paint, sing because it will "offend" somebody. Games dont make people racist, games do not turn people into killers, games are no different from books, they tell a story. In most cases if not all, a book will be alot more in depth and descripive. Seperate yourself from "fiction" and "non-fiction" they are not one and the samething. :rolleyes:

PsychoSy
10-25-02, 12:14 PM
Wha...wait a minute...Eidos INSENSITIVE?!?

You know what? I think the exact opposite - the PEOPLE ranting and raving about this game are the INSENSITIVE ones, not Eidos.

I hate to be a bearer of bad news but the truth is neither Eidos or IO Interactive owes us a damn thing. They aren't in business to be sensitive and politically correct. Their goal - as with any business - is to MAKE A BUCK.

They are under NO obligation to cater to Chris Rock's black ass, Cheech Marin's brown ass, Chief Nightwolf Moonsparrow's red ass, or MY white ass (if I may be so bold). As far as any business is concerned, they could care less what race, creed, or color we are and our cultures.

Why?

Because money is GREEN!
And, in the eyes of a business, it's the only color that matters.

Hitman 2 is a GAME.
It's not trying to be winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
It's not trying to solve the world's problems.
It's entertainment - pure and simple.

If anyone doesn't find Hitman 2 entertaining, they can excercise their "Freedom Of Choice" as outlined in the U.S. Constitution and find something that is. Just remember that entertainment is relative - it's in the eye of the beholder. What works for me might not work for you. For example, I hate Rap music, but you don't see me parading Anti-Snoop Dog and Anti-Slim Shady petitions around, do you?

No! Why?

Because it's easier to turn the freaking nob on the radio!! :D :p

And I harm no one by doing so!
When's the last time someone committed murder by turning the station?
Eh?!?
Anyone?!?

Hmmm, thought so! :D

saturnotaku
10-25-02, 12:19 PM
/me hands PsychoSy a beer

:D

You don't like the game? Shut your mouth and don't play it. Plain and simple.

SnakeEyes
10-25-02, 12:48 PM
With ya all the way PsychoSy!

sbp
11-09-02, 02:55 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/23571

The official Hitman 2 (http://www.hitman2.com/) website now has a link to a "Corporate Statement" with information about changes being made to the game. As it was, the game came under scrutiny because the Sikh community was not happy (http://www.sikhcoalition.org/petitioneidos_updates.asp) with the portrayal of its people in the assassin game. Here's what Eidos has now done, thanks Boba Fart.

In recognition of the concerns and sensitivities which have been raised, Eidos and the developers, IO Interactive, have responded in both a socially and commercially responsible manner by:
- removing from the Hitman 2 website all relevant images and content;
- taking steps to amend the game on all existing platforms; and
- adapting the next edition of the game due out for the GameCube platform.
Eidos and IO Interactive would like to stress that no offence was intended but would like to apologise to the Sikh community and other persons for any offence taken.

Nephilim
11-09-02, 03:06 PM
Goddamnit.

Thanks for ruining a perfectly good game. What are they going to do, change out the characters for robots? I imagine there'd be a damned protest for that too.

Great. Now I can sleep at night knowing that there are people out there trying to make life as soft and fluffy as possible.

*puke*

gravioli
11-09-02, 04:02 PM
Unfrigginbelievable. :mad: I'm damn glad that Hitman 2 came bundled with my Audigy 2 because after hearing about Eidos' cop-out, I would have been sick right now if I would have payed for it seperately.

Maybe Eidos chose this course of action for fear that the Sikhs might actually be terrorists and bomb their headquarters if they don't censor the games' content. :eek:

shifty250
11-09-02, 04:34 PM
dude, smoke a j and chill out man, just a game.

thcdru2k
11-09-02, 04:41 PM
dude, smoke a j and chill out man, just a game.

exactly..thats why we have a right to be angry, its just a game. they don't have to take out the sikhs, its not like people would go out and kill some sikhs. heck most people don't even know what sikhs are. shoot if they put some asians in there i don't think there would be a problem.

PsychoSy
11-09-02, 05:18 PM
I knew it - Eidos is run by bleeding heart Liberals. :rolleyes:

DaveW
11-09-02, 05:53 PM
Well someone has to be portrayed as the bad guys, as insensitive as that sounds. This sounds like some left wing Wal-Mart shopper took things the wrong way.

Yup. Why is it that if some fictional Sikh looking guy plays a bad guy its racist. But if some white guy plays the bad guy its not?

DaveW
11-09-02, 05:55 PM
Come to think of it, when was the last time some guy in a wheelchair played the bad guy? bring it on!

Nephilim
11-09-02, 06:00 PM
Damn politically correct crap.

Don't bother with the argument of, "Well how would you like it if it were you?"

I wouldn't care. Rude things are said to me/about me all the time. People think terrible and misguided things about my subculture. Do i care? Hell no. If they honestly believe that crap, then more power to them because it keeps them the hell away from me.

Nephilim
11-09-02, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by DaveW
Come to think of it, when was the last time some guy in a wheelchair played the bad guy? bring it on!

Look out!!! It's Stephen Hawking, run!!! :D

Kruno
11-09-02, 06:21 PM
I really HATE it when people try to censor things because it's "not sensetive". WTF is the racism in that game?
WTF do you want to censor it for all of the people who want to play it?

**** OFF AND DIE!!!
I hope that anyone who signs that petition and their relatives and loved ones die a horrible and painful death.

shifty250
11-09-02, 07:42 PM
lets make h2 totaly pc, lets replace all the enemies with plastic manacans, and i bet $20 that some guy from..errr the manacan lovers society will cry "outrage" damn pussys.

thcdru2k
11-09-02, 08:43 PM
you killed it man.

The Baron
11-09-02, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
you killed it man.

some people are just talented at that.... I assume he's one of them. :p

t6_shadow
11-09-02, 11:52 PM
"Wha...wait a minute...Eidos INSENSITIVE?!?

You know what? I think the exact opposite - the PEOPLE ranting and raving about this game are the INSENSITIVE ones, not Eidos.

I hate to be a bearer of bad news but the truth is neither Eidos or IO Interactive owes us a damn thing. They aren't in business to be sensitive and politically correct. Their goal - as with any business - is to MAKE A BUCK.

They are under NO obligation to cater to Chris Rock's black ass, Cheech Marin's brown ass, Chief Nightwolf Moonsparrow's red ass, or MY white ass (if I may be so bold). As far as any business is concerned, they could care less what race, creed, or color we are and our cultures.

Why?

Because money is GREEN!
And, in the eyes of a business, it's the only color that matters.

Hitman 2 is a GAME.
It's not trying to be winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
It's not trying to solve the world's problems.
It's entertainment - pure and simple.

If anyone doesn't find Hitman 2 entertaining, they can excercise their "Freedom Of Choice" as outlined in the U.S. Constitution and find something that is. Just remember that entertainment is relative - it's in the eye of the beholder. What works for me might not work for you. For example, I hate Rap music, but you don't see me parading Anti-Snoop Dog and Anti-Slim Shady petitions around, do you?

No! Why?

Because it's easier to turn the freaking nob on the radio!!

And I harm no one by doing so!
When's the last time someone committed murder by turning the station?
Eh?!?
Anyone?!?

Hmmm, thought so!"

Ladies and Gentlemen ripped right from his own site and so ******* correct it hurts me to read it! Sy is the man!

Uttar
11-10-02, 06:32 AM
IMO, even if this sounds lame, there should simply be a document with the CD ( or an additional small manual ) which explains what reality is and how the game ISN'T reality.

I'm not saying there should be a lame "This game does not represent reality. Bla Bla Bla" thing with nothing else. I'm more interested in actually having a document which explains more about Sikhs.

It's just that if you don't do that, you may think part of it is true. And maybe part of it IS true and based on real facts, but you think it's false. Stuff like that.

Modifying the game for that is LAME. It's ridiculous and unjustifiable.

However, I'd still say Eidos is insensitive. They ruined Startopia by barely doing any advertising. It barely sold. And saying it was a so good game! Sure, it had a short lifespan, but I did play it more than the 25 hours more reviews gave. At least 35 hours I'd say.

Uttar