PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into System Shock 2?

evilchris
07-17-04, 12:38 AM
I just played through it again, at 1600x1200 with AF. I couldn't get AA to work, just got a black screen. It looks awesome in high res, and the game is a hell of a ride. I played through it this time with a Marine, with mostly weaponry skills.

Edge
07-17-04, 02:10 AM
You DID use the Rebirth model pack, right? Would seem like a major waste to play through the game at that high a res with the original 400-poly models ;)

GamblerFEXonlin
07-17-04, 09:39 AM
nice man

this game have some very good dialogues and voice acting.

SH0DAN
07-17-04, 10:57 AM
Into it ??? :D I would say yes,as its my all time fave game.aa and aniso work for me just fine on my system.although to get it to work I have to downclock my cpu bigtime and enable 8x aa + 8 x aniso or the character models move about 75% to fast.

evilchris
07-17-04, 01:53 PM
Into it ??? :D I would say yes,as its my all time fave game.aa and aniso work for me just fine on my system.although to get it to work I have to downclock my cpu bigtime and enable 8x aa + 8 x aniso or the character models move about 75% to fast.
I had the running too fast problem too.. know what fixed it? Turning on vsync.

evilchris
07-17-04, 01:55 PM
You DID use the Rebirth model pack, right? Would seem like a major waste to play through the game at that high a res with the original 400-poly models ;)

Yeah I used that and the shtup texture pack.

kingmike
07-18-04, 03:42 PM
One of the best games ever! Can you imagine this. System shock3 using the doom3 or unreal 3 engine :)

Sc0rp10n
07-18-04, 07:30 PM
how did you play it at 1600x1200? the in-game settings only go up to 1024x768 as far as i can tell. i loaded this game up today since i haven't ever played through it before. need my good horror fix to hold me over for the next 16 days...

evilchris
07-18-04, 07:32 PM
how did you play it at 1600x1200? the in-game settings only go up to 1024x768 as far as i can tell. i loaded this game up today since i haven't ever played through it before. need my good horror fix to hold me over for the next 16 days...

Open up CAM.cfg. Here is the line:

game_screen_size 1600 1200

ynnek
07-18-04, 07:34 PM
a good scary game.. Its been a while. I think I played as a hacker? that also had lots of skill points in maintaining and shooting weapons...

evilchris
07-18-04, 07:37 PM
a good scary game.. Its been a while. I think I played as a hacker? that also had lots of skill points in maintaining and shooting weapons...

Navy probaby. There is Navy, Marines, and OSA or whatever. Basically Marines are all about weapons, OSA is about Psionics, and Navy has some weaponry and tech skills. Of course, this doesn't really matter since you can train and upgrade your character however you want during the game.

Gogeta
07-21-04, 12:04 AM
now that ss2 was mentioned I felt like playing it again. i go to get it and realize I had sold it on ebay months ago, doh. what was i thinking? luckily I just bought another copy off ebay and I got the original box not the "classics" crap. im gonna play it till doom3 comes out.

ynnek
07-21-04, 11:34 AM
that sounds right.. If I couldn't hack the security, then I just blasted my way thru... lol.. I just picked a few weapons in each class to be proficient at, both in shooting and maintaining.. .. and hacking those vending machines helped too to keep me supplied.. To save resources, I believe I would always keep in mind where replacement weapons were, and when they were in bad condition or jam, I would run and pick one up..... or was that another game??

I kinda thought the last battle was kinda lame... maybe cause I had a good skill in both shooting and hacking, so it was easy..

Unfortanantly my copy is a couple thousand miles away at my parents house.. ;(

Navy probaby. There is Navy, Marines, and OSA or whatever. Basically Marines are all about weapons, OSA is about Psionics, and Navy has some weaponry and tech skills. Of course, this doesn't really matter since you can train and upgrade your character however you want during the game.

Melhisedek
07-22-04, 02:55 AM
Maaan
I heard so much about this game and got my hands on it but couldn't get it to work with my 9800XT at all :(
Do you think I would have better luck this time around ? With 6800 ?

How are graphics ? The other day I fired my old Jedi Knight game ( Dark Forces II ) and I just couldn't play it again it was that ugly... But I lively remember that one being one of those WOW graphic games :/

Anyway... Any tips are welcome! Like those enhancments packs... Where do I find them ?

Thank you for your time!

SH0DAN
07-22-04, 02:57 AM
if all you care about is eye candy,forget about SS2,if you are into game play
then SS2 is for you...

Melhisedek
07-22-04, 03:23 AM
Well I'm at some kind of a balance =) I know it's old game and all but I have no problem playing Quake II engine games even Quake I are perfectly all right by my standards. So I wonder where does SS2 fit in ?

Also tips are more than welcome!

fleshonbone
07-22-04, 05:27 PM
SS2 brings back the memories and is one of my favorites, although I am currently replaying the original Deus Ex in high res. - which I believe was Spector's next fine piece of work after SS series...although I hated DX2...

fleshonbone
07-22-04, 05:32 PM
Well I'm at some kind of a balance =) I know it's old game and all but I have no problem playing Quake II engine games even Quake I are perfectly all right by my standards. So I wonder where does SS2 fit in ?

Also tips are more than welcome!

SS2 used an enhanced version of the original Thief engine, which was pre-QII, but post Quake.

Edge
07-22-04, 07:03 PM
Actually the Dark engine (the one used in Thief) is post-Quake 2, since Thief was released in 1998 and Quake 2 in 1997 (I think). The Dark engine is overall better (gotta love those semi-realtime light sources), but it really shines when you use the high-end model and texture packs made by users.

fleshonbone
07-23-04, 01:45 AM
Actually the Dark engine (the one used in Thief) is post-Quake 2, since Thief was released in 1998 and Quake 2 in 1997 (I think). The Dark engine is overall better (gotta love those semi-realtime light sources), but it really shines when you use the high-end model and texture packs made by users.

Yes, the game was released post-QII, but 95% of that engine was written before the QII engine. I personally would not consider the Dark engine as good as QII - especially if you are going to bring up customization.

evilchris
07-23-04, 02:04 AM
OMG can you imagine System Shock 3 using the D3 engine?

Melhisedek
07-23-04, 05:07 AM

I heard about these... So far I found only rebirth pack beta1... Are there any others that I could use ? I installed the game this morning before work and just got into the game before I had to leave for work :/ So I'll start playing tonight and any graphic packs are welcome =) Also any tips for a starter ? I understand there are 3 types of player you can make ( Navy, marine and Psi I believe ) which one should a beginner start with?
Any other tips perhaps? =)

Thank you for your time!

Gogeta
07-23-04, 06:07 PM
sheit, I was playing it last night and it freaked me out. "the flesh"....i forgot how good this game is. Doom 3 better be at least as scary as ss2..

someone said they are using 1600x1200, how? menu only goes up to 1024x768.

gorebrush
07-24-04, 04:32 PM
It's in Shock.CFG dude...

open in notepad, scroll down until you find...

screen_size 1280,1024

ét vóila!

evilchris
07-24-04, 08:42 PM
I edited cam.cfg. Same result I guess.