PDA

View Full Version : A Little Launch History

HEMI
07-17-04, 01:41 AM
You know what is so funny though. I watched the Nvidia 6800 release back in April. They showed Far Cry in all it's glory. You know the rendered rocks on the beach, the rendered statues, all the 3.0 eye-candy that is available with the 6800 series. Then after the beautiful presentation while Cevat Yerli (Crytek CEO) was walking off stage the Nvidia rep asked him: "How long did it take to implement 3.0 PS into Far Cry?" Mr. Yerli responded by saying "3 WEEKS"! ROFL Really??? Oh how coveinent that they did not bother to mention that the beautiful presentation that they just showed was not included! Here we are 3 months later and nothing to show for it. Go figure. That is what happens when marketing takes over engineering. Its called Paper Launch! Sounds sort of familiar to me...ATI HL2. Sells more cards and sells more games. Convenient misrepresentation.:-)

ChrisRay
07-17-04, 01:44 AM
Well Currently that mode with HDR ect, is still part of an unsupported patch that hasnt made its way out of testing labs.

So we can hope. according to crytek the HDR effects will be Nv only so I dunno.

evilchris
07-17-04, 01:44 AM
ATI and NVIDIA both made fools of themselves this launch. Sad thing is, they didn't learn anything and will repeat it in the future. Why? Cause we still buy the damn cards anyway =)

HEMI
07-17-04, 01:45 AM
No doubt LOL

HEMI
07-17-04, 01:47 AM
I also posted this in the Far Cry forum and not one mod has responded! LOFL

ChrisRay
07-17-04, 01:50 AM
What is LOFL?

Laying on the Floor Laughing? :)

HEMI
07-17-04, 01:51 AM
yep....not literally doing it though.

HEMI
07-17-04, 01:53 AM
By the way Chris you are doing excellent work in here.:-) KUDOS

noko
07-17-04, 01:53 AM
I think it is a little bit more complicated then that. The patch may work well on the 6800 series card but could bomb on any other card such as ATI cards and older Nvidia cards. Now people actually played this patch on 6800's and it worked, so it does exist. Now is it ready for release, I doubt it for the reasons I think above.

HEMI
07-17-04, 01:59 AM
I have no doubt it exists. Why no eye-candy on patch though? If you read post it has nothing to do with existence. It is more like it has been watered down. Watch the video. If you saw it at the time it left you with the impression that it was ready to go with ALL the eye-candy. Like I said :"marketing over engineering".