PDA

View Full Version : please help! every game i play freezes every 2 min or so :'(

afflatus
07-17-04, 02:07 AM
its happening with every game i play. i play for about 2 minutes then it freezes and locks up and gets to about .5 fps and then 15 sec. later itll go back to normal. this is really making me mad because it always happens and makes me get killed so if anyone can help i'd be very VERY VERY greatful

btw im sure it isnt a problem with the drivers because i've tried the omega drivers and it didnt make a difference

i've tried reformatting my comp, it worked fine for awhile but then screwed up again

ive tried running my games without any progs runnning in the background

etc etc

please help, thank you
afflatus :kill:

killahsin
07-17-04, 02:21 AM
Why don't you toss out some specs of your system and whatnot. Give us some general idea of what your running. Is it a via mobo a nforce nforce 2 the mobo drivers, what os. What card etc

Heating temperatures so many possibilities. We need some of the basic info to help you figure it out

afflatus
07-17-04, 02:30 AM
oh yes, sorry

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00009514

HaVoK-G2
07-17-04, 02:53 AM
"i play for about 2 minutes then it freezes and locks up and gets to about .5 fps and then 15 sec"

Do you mean that after two minutes it freezes for 15 seconds, then it goes back to normal then it freezes again.. repeat?

Sounds like the video card fan possibly died? Check to see if the fans is spinning (Dont touch it while its on though :angel2: )

afflatus
07-17-04, 03:29 AM
i mean i play for like 2 minutes

then theres maaaajor lag, which lasts for 15 seconds

then 2 min later it happens again

zer0xp
07-17-04, 03:41 AM
If you are familiar with task manager, you can take a look at your CPU usage, physical memory usage and tell us what's going on.. Also this may seem weird, but try defragging your hard drive...

Ver
07-17-04, 04:00 AM
Heat!!!

What's the temp reading both while idle and playing games? I'm assuming your running with your case closed.

Also;

Power Supply
Steady-state 235 watts

That might be a problem :ORDER:

afflatus
07-17-04, 04:01 AM
how do i find out the temp?

btw thanks for all the quick help :clap:

mustrum
07-17-04, 04:40 AM
235Watts PSU? A miracle that it even boots to windows!!

nippyjun
07-17-04, 09:04 AM
Heat!!!

What's the temp reading both while idle and playing games? I'm assuming your running with your case closed.

Also;

Power Supply
Steady-state 235 watts

That might be a problem :ORDER:

Would an overheating vid card or overheating cpu cause this?

I get freezing in painkiller every so often for like 5 seconds where nothing happens during that time, then the play continues and I wonder if it's a painkiller problem or a heat problem.

nvnews-reader
07-17-04, 12:03 PM
235Watts PSU? A miracle that it even boots to windows!!

If his comp is a Compaq built pc it's not the PSU unless it has gone bad in which case the computer would prob be crashing and having problems all the time not just games.

Sounds like it could be a fan problem thats causing your gpu to overheat.

Test and see if the slowdowns occur in the same places always or if its only has to do with the amount of time passed. If your short on memory it could cause a similar problem.

Also you should run spybot SD and ad-aware. I've seen computers that are so infested with spyware/malware that it was causing serious problems in just running the comp not even playing games.

Borocay
07-17-04, 12:36 PM
It's amazing that you can even play for a couple of minutes. You are starving your system. Get a good power supply and crank up the voltages on your agp and memory in bios. I had the same problem with my XT and it was the lack of juice to the card. I almost never figured it out. If that does not work then do a clean install of the drivers. Lockups in games are usually a result of lack of juice, driver conflict or memory problems. Good luck,

Borocay

nvnews-reader
07-17-04, 01:23 PM
It's amazing that you can even play for a couple of minutes. You are starving your system. Get a good power supply and crank up the voltages on your agp and memory in bios. I had the same problem with my XT and it was the lack of juice to the card. I almost never figured it out. If that does not work then do a clean install of the drivers. Lockups in games are usually a result of lack of juice, driver conflict or memory problems. Good luck,

Borocay

No! If he has a standard Compaq computer, it is extensively tested to ensure that the PSU has plenty of power to run the hardware installed among other things. If he had upgraded his GPU or majorly OC'd everything then you might have an arguement but as it is his problem has nothing to do with his PSU unless it is defective.

For the record I have a Dell computer with a 150 watt PSU. The system originally came with a gf4mx it now has a BFG 6800 GT and runs like a champ. :flame:

Borocay
07-17-04, 03:43 PM
Who told you it was "extensively tested?" Compaq or Dell??? Good luck running your GT on that 150 watt POS.

Borocay