PDA

View Full Version : Using PC with side slide off

Severian126
07-17-04, 11:49 AM
Er, is this a good idea? My PC runs extremely hot, and I've tried adding in a new PCI fan (Vantec Spectrum), but the problem is I need cool air from the outside. My card runs idel 68 C GPU temp and ambient temp 50 C. So, I tried removing the side cover to expose teh inner workings and it the temp drops to 59 C GPU and ambient 43 C. Big difference. And it runs the 80-90 gpu temp when it is on load, maybe even more than 94 perhaps. So, my question is: Is it safe to play games with the side cover off? Bad for my PC?

stncttr908
07-17-04, 11:58 AM
It shouldn't harm it at all. A lot of people do this. Most would think that having the side open would result in more dust getting in, but it's probably the opposite. When dust gets drawn into my case by the fans it has nowhere to go but to settle on my components. If you have the side off the dust will probably drift off somewhere else.

monly
07-17-04, 12:07 PM
I have my pc side off now and it dropped my gpu temps by about 10 degrees and my pcu by about 7. i always clean the dust outa my pc every month or so anyway so dust buildup isnt a problem to me.

Severian126
07-17-04, 01:02 PM
Cool, glad to hear something positive about it! Ok, next question:

Is it a good idea to blow a fan right into the side of the PC? I have a little fan that I can use, but I don't want to do it if it could do something bad to my pc. I doubt it, but I want to ask you guys first? I'm sure it'll lower the temperature even further, but who knows....

monly
07-17-04, 01:08 PM
Yea should be fine i somtimes use a fan when im doing huge overclocks to keep it all cool and it seems to work well.