PDA

View Full Version : 6800 GT - weird issue with coming back

Ghosthunter
07-17-04, 11:20 AM
after leaving computer for several hours.

I do not have standby options turned on. I have just a blank screensaver.

When I came back to my computer 8 hours later, computer was on, but anything i tried to hit, it would not come back. I had to power it off and reboot.

Now my question is, safe to leave computer running with a 6800 gt for hours? Maybe it got too hot even though it was doing nothing?

Should I put the monitor in standby mode instead of using a screensaver?

This neevr happened with my ati so wasnt sure if this was normal.

Ruined
07-17-04, 12:42 PM
You have to disable standby mode for your computer. Go to Display Properties/Screen Saver/Power, then uncheck the "standby" mode. Using "Hibernate" mode is okay, but in Standby mode your graphics card fan will stop and the card will overheat.

Ghosthunter
07-17-04, 01:00 PM
You have to disable standby mode for your computer. Go to Display Properties/Screen Saver/Power, then uncheck the "standby" mode. Using "Hibernate" mode is okay, but in Standby mode your graphics card fan will stop and the card will overheat.

i didnt have standby mode turned on

i was going to turn it on for the monitor instead of using a screensaver.

So you saying cannot even use standby mode for monitor?

do you use a screensaver when you leave computer for hours or shutdown?

extreme_dB
07-17-04, 01:32 PM
What kind of screensaver are you using? Maybe it's an intensive 3d one that's constantly stressing the GPU where cooling is inadequate for an extended period? The driver could be mistakenly stopping the fan when the GPU is actively rendering the screensaver.

Personally, I have my CRT go into standby after 20 min. I leave my computer running idle (no standby) and usually shut it down when I won't be using it for a long period (8+ hours).

I think it's worse to have your hard disks spin up and down frequently throughout the day by going into standby than to just keep spinning.

Ghosthunter
07-17-04, 01:35 PM
What kind of screensaver are you using? Maybe it's an intensive 3d one that's constantly stressing the GPU where cooling is inadequate for an extended period? The driver could be mistakenly stopping the fan when the GPU is actively rendering the screensaver.

Personally, I have my CRT go into standby after 20 min. I leave my computer running idle (no standby) and usually shut it down when I won't be using it for a long period (8+ hours).

I think it's worse to have your hard disks spin up and down frequently throughout the day by going into standby than to just keep spinning.

i was just using the blank screensaver that windows xp comes with

maybe i will just try having CRT go into standy after 20 minutes as long as that is safe and wont turn off the fans.

the other thing I wonder if it has to do with my APM configuration in Bios? I oriignally had it enabaled by default but recently disabled it, maybe I should reneable