PDA

View Full Version : Just Great...

Pages : [1] 2 3

v3rninate
07-17-04, 05:51 PM
I get my 6800GT in and i'm like tiiiight....after I pull out my 9800pro and pop in my 6800...it boots up....no post.... fans everything running. The monitor button flashes like it's plugged into a VGA slot but NOTHING IS ON.

W....T.....F....

I reinstall my 9800pro......same problem. WTF!? I short the CMOS....same problem. Something happened, anyone have any other ideas....besides replacing the motherboard....which is going to be a chore. :lame:

v3rninate
07-17-04, 05:56 PM
Here's my sig

WiDowMaker
07-17-04, 06:05 PM
Well, first, did you uninstall the 9800 Drivers?

ChrisRay
07-17-04, 06:08 PM
Drivers wont affect whether his PC posts or not.

Richteralan
07-17-04, 06:11 PM
hm........
did you tried pull your vid. card off and boot? and hear one "beep" sound?

extreme_dB
07-17-04, 06:14 PM
Some random thoughts...

- check all connections on the motherboard (a cable could have loosened during installation)

- unplug unnecessary devices from power supply and try a different molex connector for the card

- turn the power supply off and back on and then try booting up again

- get the bat :)

CoSWill
07-17-04, 06:26 PM
Drivers wont affect whether his PC posts or not.

Not true..........it happens now and then. Best thing to do is just let the machine sit for about 30 minutes with power disconnected. Restart and bios should come up.

extreme_dB
07-17-04, 06:31 PM
Not true..........it happens now and then. Best thing to do is just let the machine sit for about 30 minutes with power disconnected. Restart and bios should come up.

How can drivers possibly affect whether the initial boot screen comes on? You don't even need a hard drive connected for the BIOS to come up.

evilchris
07-17-04, 06:39 PM
This happened to me too, same card ( 9800 Pro ) being replaced by GT. My monitor actually died RIGHT THEN during the swap! Nice coincidence. I doubt thats your problem though. Are you getting post beeps?

CoSWill
07-17-04, 06:39 PM
How can drivers possibly affect whether the initial boot screen comes on? You don't even need a hard drive connected for the BIOS to come up.

He made a hardware change......no drivers installed yet. Sometimes a no post situation will occur when bios don't recognize new video card. After all that is what makes you see text on your monitor.

sonyman
07-17-04, 06:40 PM
Drivers won't affect whether or not he can POST.

Scott

ChrisRay
07-17-04, 06:40 PM

Drivers operate at an operating system level. Posting operates at a system/bios level.

If your system isnt even making it to the operating system boot. Drivers have absolutely no effect on whether a system will post. Perhaps you are confusing posting with bootup. Drivers will have absolutely no effect on your system until you are booting to an operating system level.

CoSWill
07-17-04, 06:48 PM
Drivers operate at an operating system level. Posting operates at a system/bios level.

If your system isnt even making it to the operating system boot. Drivers have absolutely no effect on whether a system will post. Perhaps you are confusing posting with bootup. Drivers will have absolutely no effect on your system until you are booting to an operating system level.

LOL, I never said anything about drivers.

bmg
07-17-04, 06:49 PM
So the question is, do you get anything displayed at all after you turn on power?

gsgrunt
07-17-04, 06:51 PM
Was your system bus oveclocked? If so, do you have a jumper on your motherboard to reset the bios? I had a case where an overclocked system would not post after a video card change. A reset of the bios fixed it. Funny thing, I was able to re-overclock to the previous levels after the reset.

sonyman
07-17-04, 06:59 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=372557&postcount=7

Scott

CoSWill
07-17-04, 07:04 PM
Was your system bus oveclocked? If so, do you have a jumper on your motherboard to reset the bios? I had a case where an overclocked system would not post after a video card change. A reset of the bios fixed it. Funny thing, I was able to re-overclock to the previous levels after the reset.

You are correct except it doesn't have to be an overclocked bus. It can happen with a video card change period. Hardware changes and the way the system reacts to it is not set in stone. The original poster should have uninstalled the ATI drivers before installing the Nvidia card. The system will eventually recognize the new hardware.

ChrisRay
07-17-04, 07:09 PM

So then why did you quote me and say it wasnt true when I said drivers have no effect on whether a PC posts?

v3rninate
07-17-04, 07:10 PM
Well guys, my computer does not POST...Power on Self Test. The hardware is messed up or something. I dunno what exactly it is, but since this swap, I re-seated the ram and was able to have the monitor button go "green" which means I was getting signal even tho NOTHING came up on the monitor.

Basically, this could be anything atm, PSU maybe that is going out? I don't have another one to test with, but I do need a new one anyways.

2 days ago my PC was running JUST FINE, with my 9800pro in the agp slot. Now ever since this swap, all heck been breaking loose.

jAkUp
07-17-04, 07:12 PM
You sure got the molex plugged in? Is the card fully seated? It might be possible that you busted off a cap on the board while removing it... Try also completely pulling out the CMOS battery for 30 seconds or so, sometimes those tricky jumpers don't work very well. Also make sure that you didnt drop any screws that could possibly short the motherboard and keep it from posting.

And that statement about drivers having to do with posting, true. Drivers have 0 effect on whether or not a system posts. Drivers are handled in the O.S.

CaptNKILL
07-17-04, 07:14 PM
You are correct except it doesn't have to be an overclocked bus. It can happen with a video card change period. Hardware changes and the way the system reacts to it is not set in stone. The original poster should have uninstalled the ATI drivers before installing the Nvidia card. The system will eventually recognize the new hardware.

:|

Anyway...

Check your connections. Make sure to unplug the computer when you clear the CMOS (many people forget to do this). Push on the card a lot to make sure its seated, make sure there isnt a big hunk of dust or hair in the AGP slot.

And dont even worry about drivers yet. Actually, my advice would be to put your 9800 Pro back in, and try to get THAT working. Then uninstall the drivers and use driver cleaner. The problem you are experiencing now is either saying that something got moved, or something died. This isnt driver related (yet) since you havent even booted windows.

EDIT: Also, I wouldnt recommend installing that 6800 in another computer to test it. If your computer died after installing it, its possible its defective and damaged the AGP slot or something (though this isnt very likely at all, its better to be safe than sorry).

CoSWill
07-17-04, 07:17 PM
So then why did you quote me and say it wasnt true when I said drivers have no effect on whether a PC posts?

Sorry Chris, I think I misunderstood what you meant. I was reading the entire thread and when I got to your post I disagreed with it. But now after reading it again, it makes sense. I think we are both on the same side of the road, just different lanes :)

GlowStick
07-17-04, 07:21 PM
Definatly reset your cmos and try again!

AthlonXP1800
07-17-04, 07:21 PM
v3rninate, please try disconnect all IDE and Floppy connectors on the motherboard to see if it will post. If it does not help, then try remove all PCI cards except AGP card and see if it will post. it probably conflicted with IDE or PCI cards that prevent the PC to post.

Hmmm I looked at your signature, you have Chieftech Case with all fan slots full, try to disconnect all case fans too.

Hope it will help. :)

mukkyman
07-17-04, 07:28 PM
try a pci gfx card in it if you have a spare one around see if that post, if that posts then u've know there somet wrong with the agp port?