PDA

View Full Version : Prime95 errors..

Riptide
07-17-04, 11:28 PM
See sig for specs..

I've noticed lately that about once a week the folding client comes up with early_end errors. Supposedly this can indicate a stability problem. My system passes 8 hours of walltime in memtest. But in prime95, errors came up within 8 minutes. :eek:

If I loosen my memory timings back up to 2-3-3-7-1T it seems more stable. I've had Prime95 going for over an hour now and no crash... Previously I ran them at 2-2-2-5-1T. My RAM is rated for much better speeds than this, why would my system be doing this? vDIMM is already at maximum, 2.8v and the monitoring confirms the voltage is there. RAM is only running at 200mhz, and it's pc3500. CPU voltage is fine, 1.49-1.55v during the prime testing.

Thoughts anyone? Could it be errata in this early rev. 1.0 abit? The RAM was fine and so was Prime95 in my previous machine, D875PBZ w/3.0C P4. It was run @ 2-3-2-6, 200mhz then.

One other thing of note. I've tried, with my timings looser like they are now to run the FSB @ 210mhz. Prime95 crashed within just a couple minutes then, so it definitely looks like overclocking this outfit isn't happenin'... :(

Blacklash
07-18-04, 12:55 AM
A failing or unstable PSU can cause memory failures(errors), also if is not properly shielded, "noise" from it and interference could as well.

Riptide
07-18-04, 08:33 AM
Hrm.. It's a wierd problem. I've got it back down to 2-3-3-5-1T and it passed 6 hours of testing. Evidently it's fussy about one of these memory timings. I'm trying 2-2-3-5-1T right now. Once I figure out when it starts to freak out I'll probably go ahead and try upping my CPU voltage just a notch and see if that does anything.

I was also thinking it could be the power supply but I won't replace that until I try a couple other things. It definitely didn't like me raising the FSB yesterday but then again I might just need to bump vcore a tad.

My PS is an Antec Trupower 430w.

Sazar
07-18-04, 12:54 PM
the on-die memory controller can be finicky about some memory timings... i think glow had a similar issue...

I think for the most part running tighter timings you should be perfectly fine... though the most stressful mem test and the like may not pass muster

Riptide
07-18-04, 06:25 PM
Figured out what was going on here. I don't know why, but if I increase my FSB speed even a small amount (say 4mhz) the system fails Prime tests with my RAM @ rated timings (2-2-2-5-1T). If I change the timings to 2-3-3-7-2T it can run with a tiny overclock. If I increase the FSB any further, say to 208mhz then even those loser timings still don't cut it, prime errors out.

Why this thing is so fussy about increaseing that FSB - I have no idea whatsoever. My RAM is rated for 433mhz, 2-2-2-5 @ 2.8v. It *theoretically* should not be the problem here. But WTF else could it be? It's hard to believe my CPU would start freaking after such a paltry little overclock.

*shrugs* Maybe this Abit doesn't like my mushkin RAM much? I dunno. Got the new revision on the way next week though. If they send me the right one anyway.

mustrum
07-19-04, 07:16 AM
Motherboards can be very picky with RAM. Looks like your's doesn't like your sticks at all. They most likely perform better on some other motherboard.
Incompatibilities like this one get fixed with new bios's sometimes