PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800GT OC Questions \ Concerns

technoid
07-18-04, 12:47 AM
I recently upgraded from a PNY TI4600 to a BFG 6800GT OC. I've been doing a little benchmarking and game playing and noticed a few things I don't understand. So I thought I'd see if anyone here has any information they'd like to share.

First. I haven't been able to run the Gun Metal Benchmark 1.20S. It starts fine and I can use the menus but if I select either of the benchmarks it drops back to the desktop. Has anyone ran this benchmark or is it a no go on the 6800?

Second. Both Serious Sam 1 and 2 benchmark lower on the GT than the 4600. Of course that seems strange to me. I also ran a benchmark of Jedi Knight 2 with the same results, lower scores than the 4600. All three are just a little slower but any slower seems wrong, any ideas?

Third. The game Mafia won't run correctly. I can start it but after I get to the menu it's messed up with missing textures. If I start the game I get the same results, missing textures, really bad.

Fourth. The game NOLF2 has stutters here and there. Sometimes they're there and sometimes not, strange.

Fifth. How does the fan sound on your GT? The reason I ask is mine sounds strange to me but maybe it's because I haven't heard one before. Mine starts up like normal, being louder and then it quiets down after the drivers load but that's not what I'm talking about. What seems stange is the type of noise it makes. It's a low pitched sound that changes intensity now and then, like a warble (waa, waa, waa). The warble is louder before the driver loads and then quiets down after the driver slows the fan down but it's still there. What I'm worried about is will the fan noise get louder after the fan wears in after a month or so. So does anyones fan sound like that and should I be worried about it.

Also for the Ultra Owners out there, what does your fan sound like? Does it have this type of sound too? The reason I ask is I might return the card to Fry's and get the Ultra so I'm curious how loud it is compared to the GT.

Does anyone know if there's a GT planned without the reference heatsink that would be quieter than the reference heat sink?

I've tried these drivers, 61.21, 61.45, 61.72, 61.76 with the same results.

I've had really good luck with my Antec 300SL Power Supply, no lockups or glitches of any kind. I think if you have a quality name brand power supply a 300 watt is fine unless you have a 3 gig or faster processor.

Thanks for any opinions or ideas.

System Specs
Pentium 4 2.53
Asus P4B533
Antec 300SL P/S
1 Gig Kingston Ram
NEC 12x CD-RW
NEC 2.4x DVD+RW
WD 120 Gig
Seagate 120 Gig
3Com Ethernet
3Com Modem

noko
07-18-04, 03:19 AM
I've been running Mafia with 8xS AA and 8x AF and it is smooth as silk at 1284x1024x32 everything maxed with stock 6800GT speeds. Played about 1/2 the game on the GT. I am currently using 61.71 drivers since 62.01 seemed to BSOD. What does dxdiag say? As in AGP enable etc..

Now your PS does seem to be on the weak side for ratings which may mean nothing. In any case take a volt meter and measure the 5v and 12v rail on a D-connector. The mobo sensors are commonly off or wrong. If the 12v is in the low 11's then i say get a new power supply.

As for the fan noise, what fan? I really don't hear it. Maybe the label on the front of the fan is causing you some problems, something to check.

Do you use coolbits? If so then see what AGP speed you are running, if at all. Almost sounds like you are using pci vice AGP.

Let us know.

Gn00b
07-18-04, 09:14 AM
It doesnt sound like a PSU issue to me, but I have limited experience in that area. One thing you might try is to disconnect as many things as you can (second HDD, optical drives, extra fans) and see if that makes a difference.

I can hardly hear my BFG 6800GT fan. I took the side off my case, put my head inside and booted up...I didnt hear anything like what you described.

Are you running the latest drivers for your motherboard?

Do you have AGP 8X enabled in BIOS?

technoid
07-18-04, 09:22 AM
Noko,

Since you're running Mafia okay I'll check what patch I have applied. I haven't played it in a long time so I might not have the latest patch. That happned to me with Halo, it was giving me an error box and wouldn't start until I applied the 1.04 patch. I was using the 1.02 patch on the 4600 but when I moved to the GT I had to apply the 1.04 patch before it would even start. So maybe that's all I need to do to Mafia, cool.

The power supply seems to be running fine, although I know it's on the weak side. ASUS Probe says the rails are all running within spec. This particular 300w P/S is actually about as good as normal 350 watt units, antec did a good job on this 300 watt.

+12 - 11.84
+5 - 4.972
+3.3 - 3.296

I'm use coolbits and the control panel says I'm running with AGP4x enabled.

Thanks for your reply, since your running Mafai maybe all I need to do is upgrade my patch on it to the latest version. I seem to remember downloading a patch but not applying it since I wasn't playing it at the time. And of course I forgot it till you said you played it okay, thanks .

To be honest I don't normally hear my fan since it's under the desk but if I had it on my desk I would hear it. When I'm checking the noise I have it sitting right beside me, like if it were on the desk sitting next to me. That's the way I used to keep my computer but I put it under the desk to keep the noise down. It's definitely not the label on the fan though, when I picked it up at Fry's they had about 15 of them sitting there and several of them didn't have labels on the fan so I got one. The ones with labels all had the label kinda lifted up so I figured I'd be better off without a label :-)

zafarsaand
07-18-04, 09:24 AM
Also for the Ultra Owners out there, what does your fan sound like? Does it have this type of sound too? The reason I ask is I might return the card to Fry's and get the Ultra so I'm curious how loud it is compared to the GT.
My 6800Ultra is doing the same thing untill all the drivers all loaded when loading windows.....sound stops just before welcome screen.

technoid
07-18-04, 09:45 AM
Gn00b,

I think you're right, the power supply seems to be doing okay. I'm beginning to wonder if my fan is making a sound that others don't then because I think you'd notice this sound for sure, it's not super lound but it's definitely easy to hear.

I do have the latest motherboard drivers but it's only an APG 4x board. I'm planning an upgrade to a Pentium 4 3.2 Gig - Intel 875P based motherboard soon.

Thanks for your reply and the info :-)

technoid
07-18-04, 09:54 AM
zafarsaand,

So you have the warble type of sound till the drivers load too. That's mostly what's happening to me, the warble is there after the drivers load and slow the fan down but it's very low and hard to hear. Maybe I just got a fan that's louder than most.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

zafarsaand
07-18-04, 11:00 AM
hey technoid wat if i m installing windows xp...it takes 15 to 20 min. to install winxp....would that be a problem....... i mean the fan will be running like this for 20 min.

technoid
07-18-04, 02:04 PM
hey technoid wat if i m installing windows xp...it takes 15 to 20 min. to install winxp....would that be a problem....... i mean the fan will be running like this for 20 min.
Naw, no problem. It doesn't run that fast just faster than normal and a little noiser. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

technoid
07-18-04, 02:25 PM
I used the Mafia patch that I had downloaded already, the 1.2 patch, and it still has the same missing textures as before. I'll look and see if there's a newer patch and try it next. Just thought I'd let you know.

technoid
07-18-04, 04:50 PM
Okay, Mafia is working now. I checked and the patch that I had downloaded but hadn't applied yet (1.2) was the latest patch so I couldn't understand why it wasn't working for me. I went in the game directory and found a "setup.exe" file and ran it. It brought up a setup dialog box so I changed two settings just to try them out and Mafia started and played normal then. So I went back and turned the settings back to where they were and the game still starts and plays fine. So at this point it seems the only thing that needed to be done was to just run the "setup.exe" file and save the settings and exit. I guess something got messed up in the settings which messed the game up until I ran the setup file again. Oh well, it works now so I'm happy.

Thanks for everyones help.