PDA

View Full Version : Fan speed on 6800GT

Goran
07-18-04, 05:37 AM
How does the fan speed work on this card (6800GT). When the computer booting, the fan speed is very high (fastest?). As soon as windows login appears, the fan slows down.

Is the display driver programmed to change fan speed depending upon the core temperature? I have not noticed that the fan speeds up on any game yet. The core temp is at normal about 59-65 degrees and after playing games 70-75 degrees.

/G

zafarsaand
07-18-04, 08:28 AM
i am having the same problem on Ultra(6800).

oozish
07-18-04, 08:34 AM
i am having the same problem on Ultra(6800).

I don't know if it's a problem. But I can hear it at boot up whizzing louder, and it's not annoying btw, sounds fine. I wouldn't mind if it spun up like that in the middle of a game to keep things cool. Looks like there is some fan control thing spinning it at boot; maybe they can work on this to work above a certain temp or some mod or something; that would be very cool!

therapture
07-18-04, 10:14 AM
I check the box in the driver control panel for "fan always on" and it allowed my overclock more stability....it never breaks 83c using rthdribl.

http://www.cox-internet.com/raptur/keiths/rthdribl.jpg

oozish
07-18-04, 11:01 AM
If you read the 'fan always on' help, it's designed for older chipsets; which used to turn the fan off when it went into power saving mode and whatnot. It's not an issue and isn't relevant for 6800 series.

DMA
07-18-04, 11:20 AM
I've hooked up the fan on my GT to a fan controller. So idling/surfing/sleeping etc i run it at 5 V. Very quiet and cools good enough. When it's time for some 3D action i just max it@12 V.

Mr Papst, Mr Zalman end a fan controller are my best friends. :)
Ahh, silence is golden. :o

saturnotaku
07-18-04, 11:22 AM
I've hooked up the fan on my GT to a fan controller. So idling/surfing/sleeping etc i run it at 5 V. Very quiet and cools good enough. When it's time for some 3D action i just max it@12 V.

Mr Papst, Mr Zalman end a fan controller are my best friends. :)
Ahh, silence is golden. :o

What fan controller do you use?

DMA
07-18-04, 11:34 AM
What fan controller do you use?

Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. :)
ZM-MFC1 (http://www.bit-tech.net/review/209/)