PDA

View Full Version : Question about which brand has a better 6800 Ultra.

Sandman187
07-18-04, 01:29 PM
I contacted a store selling the Leadtek 6800 Ultra, wanting to buy it, and they said that their shipments of these cards had to be sent back to Leadtek, as Leadtek contacted them saying something was wrong with them. So instead they offered me a Inno3D 6800 Ultra, which I purchased and paid for but never received, after 1 and a half weeks of ignoring my emails, they finally replied. They said they couldn't get any Inno3D cards as the vendor lied to them about having them in stock.

They have now found 2 bulk packs of Nvidia made 6800 Ultra's, with original Nvidia Warranty's. They are now offering me one of these cards + a 10% refund. The 10% refund is great, but I haven't decided whether to accept the offer or not yet. As since you can't buy the Nvidia original made cards, I don't know whether the card would be as good as a card made by a different brand (Leadtek, Inno3D, Asus etc).

I know that ATI original cards are definitely better then most ATI cards sold by other brands, but don't know about Nvidia as they don't sell original cards themselves.

Anyone have any advice for me?

kahloq
07-18-04, 05:17 PM
Id tell them to show you pictures of the "nvidia made card" with pictures of the warranty(legible).

JayrodTremonki
07-18-04, 06:19 PM
That's a very odd situation. In the past Nvidia was known for having extremely good reference cards and not being a fair comparison. But I haven't heard too much about that this time around for the 6800's.

wilson
07-18-04, 06:25 PM
The reference card nVidia sent out for reviews had a dual-link DVI port on it in addition to a single-link DVI port. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Bluesky5553
07-18-04, 07:15 PM
I've never known NVidia to make any video cards of their own. Their reference cards they use for show are normally made by one of the major manufacturers following their reference design. I'd tell the computer store its time to put up or shut and and show me the Nvidia card and the guarantee, or its money back time. Sounds like a scam to me.

greeko
07-18-04, 07:18 PM
Id ask for myb money back
who the hell knows what the deal is after what you just described

vläd
07-18-04, 07:27 PM
Yup, time for a refund. If it were me anyway.

lowdog
07-18-04, 10:02 PM
My 6800U is a Nvidia made reference card....commonly called S-Media.

This card is as good as any other 6800 series card available.

saturnotaku
07-18-04, 10:29 PM
My 6800U is a Nvidia made reference card....commonly called S-Media.

I thought BFG was the sole maker of NVIDIA's reference cards?

stncttr908
07-18-04, 11:09 PM
You know who's card looks amazing? Albatron's. Apparantly Anandtech had one running at 460/1.3ghz just fine, and it's a sweet blue PCB.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2126&p=2

Ver
07-19-04, 01:31 AM
Errrmmm

If memory serves correct, all of the first round of 6800U's (not just the chip, but the entire card from PCB to memory) were made by nVidia and shipped to AIC manufactuers to make pretty and sell.

Heh, assembled anyway; made it to broad a term.

lowdog
07-19-04, 01:53 AM
I thought BFG was the sole maker of NVIDIA's reference cards?

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/ ...link to the card, S-Media (perfect Nvidia reference card)

Don't know about that. I got my card about 6 weeks ago now and it is a perfect Nvidia reference card. Nvidia sticker on the fan and Nalu picture on the heatsink cover. Came in a white box with nothing else but a DVI/VGA adapter and 60.85 drivers burnt onto a plain gold cd.

It is the exact same card that were sent to reviewers when the card first became available for review.

Oh and regarding the GC20 modules. I e-mailed Nvidia about them being overclocked and they replied that the first few runs of GC16 modules were marked incorrectly by Samsung as GC20 yet were infact GC16. The Nvidia Tech guy who responded to my e-mail said that Nvidia had Samsung retest the mislabled GC20 modules to indeed confirm that they would run at GC16 specifications.....he assured me that the GC20 modules on the first batches of 6800U's were infact GC16 speced and that I had nothing to worry about.

Still seems ppl are getting 6800U with the GC20 modules on current cards atm that run well over 1200MHz.

gstanford
07-19-04, 05:56 AM
Hi, could you look at the back of your board please?
At the bottom, to the left of the AGP retention hook there may be a with sticker such as in this picture.
http://www.beyond3d.com/previews/nvidia/nv40/images/bb.jpg
COuld you tell me what it says please.

wilson
07-19-04, 03:35 PM
gstanford,

Can you tell me the part number of that square Silicon Image chip in the lower right of the picture?

gstanford
07-20-04, 06:06 AM
No I can't, but, you could ask Dave Baumann over at Beyond3d. He is the author of the article that picture appears in.

wilson
07-20-04, 09:08 AM
Oh okay, I thought you might have won the jackpot and had a dual-link DVI interface on your card. Most cards being shipped do have have that transmitter.

Sandman187
07-20-04, 10:09 AM
Hi, could you look at the back of your board please?
At the bottom, to the left of the AGP retention hook there may be a with sticker such as in this picture.
http://www.beyond3d.com/previews/nvidia/nv40/images/bb.jpg
COuld you tell me what it says please.

I will tell you what it says, the second it arrives this week. It's in the mail (FedEx) on the way to me.