PDA

View Full Version : 84 degree problems (BFG 6800 GT)

Pages : [1] 2

DRen72
07-18-04, 08:10 PM
I test my temperatures using RivaTuner RC15. I've found that my BFG 6800 GT will begin to lock up or crash anytime it reaches 84 degrees while playing any game. Also, Thief: DS exhibits a lot of texture problems in certain areas in the game and at 84 degrees it will go nuts and crash requiring a reboot. I have no idea why this is happening. I've tried multiple drivers too and its all the same.

FarCry plays fine until 84 degrees, then it locks up. No artifacts, just locks up.

Any ideas? Bad card?

lognoronon
07-18-04, 08:14 PM
I should not be crashing at those temps if it's temp related unless something is wrong with the card. The card can still run stable 100+ or at least it should be able to.

noko
07-18-04, 08:15 PM
Make sure it is a temperture problem by opening up your case and directing a fan onto the card. If problem goes away or gets better then your card is probably defective as in core. Now maybe your HSF got loose or a poor job was done mounting it so check to see if the HSF is touching ram and core and the back screws are tight. Still it shouldn't be doing that at 84c.

Another thing you can do is downclock the card to like 350/1.0 to see if that helps. If so then I would call up BFG and tell them the problem and have them send you a new card.

Cruel_Logic
07-18-04, 08:16 PM
i would take it apart and exchange any weak looking thermal compounds with as5, then it would get some more case fans, this one worked good for me:
http://www.3dcool.com/?module=product&sku=TwinTurbo###
cooling is everything...

Cruel_Logic
07-18-04, 08:18 PM
o yeah, lots of people are having random crashes and freeze ups, i replaced the thermal compund on my video card's ram and that cleared up all my problems, good luck :)

noko
07-18-04, 08:22 PM
Except once he removes the HSF and adds something that wasn't there he may just had voided his warranty. Now if he finds out his card is faulty afterall BFG may well refuse the exchange. I recommend he talks to BFG first and see if they will exchange his card. He maybe able to keep his card until after his second card arrives from BFG anyways(I did that with Tyan with my G9700Pro due to mismarketing of the TGM feature).

Cruel_Logic
07-18-04, 08:28 PM
that would probably be the smart and safe way to do it... but not the fastest!:firedevil

i bought a 6800 to play, not to wait for a major company to get their heat sinks right and send me a new one :type:

UDawg
07-18-04, 08:35 PM
You should not have to mod the card to get it to work. I would take it back or RMA it. No way would I mod a new card just to get it to work. That is too much money to be messing with a card like that.

JoKeRr
07-18-04, 08:42 PM
the mos I'll try is tighting the screws slightly if they happen to be rather loose

Zetto
07-18-04, 09:21 PM
Mine hovers at 84-85c with windowed rtdhdl... rthdleil.... rthdribl (damn, y couldn't they come with something readable) demo and does not crash ;) Prolly GPU is cracked or something :D

sgio2
07-18-04, 09:26 PM
i would take it apart and exchange any weak looking thermal compounds with as5, then it would get some more case fans, this one worked good for me:
http://www.3dcool.com/?module=product&sku=TwinTurbo###
cooling is everything...

Actually one of the tech's that works for BFG posted over at the [H] , that when they recieve the card from Nvidia they remove the heatsink and replace the standard thermal compound with AS5 so its probally not that.

Is your case clean inside. Neating up all of your wires and cables can do wonders. Keeps us posted. Good Luck!

Zachary

JGene
07-18-04, 09:40 PM
With the Leadtek Ultra bios my card idles at about 57C (29C room ambient) and runs about 85C. When I had the original GT bios, my card idled around 53C and maxed at about 76C load.

I have yet to see a problem and I'm running a Shuttle SN45G with the 250W PSU.

DRen72
07-18-04, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. To answer a few of the questions posed to me, my case is very well ventilated. You guys will love this, but mine has a direct connection to the HVAC system in the house. Yep..and it does cool the case considerably. Even so, the BFG GT still acts up when the core gets to 84 degrees + or - 2 degrees or so.
I've not enjoyed one game yet with this thing. It either has texture issues or crashes.

I think I'm going to return the card. It still is within the 30-day refund timeframe and there is no restocking fee where I got it. I'll just play with my Ati 9700 Pro until an 6800 Ultra actually becomes available to purchase. someplace before 2005.

Thanks again for the feedback.

aAv7
07-18-04, 10:59 PM
sounds like a bad card, rma it.

Zeno
07-18-04, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. To answer a few of the questions posed to me, my case is very well ventilated. You guys will love this, but mine has a direct connection to the HVAC system in the house. Yep..and it does cool the case considerably. Even so, the BFG GT still acts up when the core gets to 84 degrees + or - 2 degrees or so.
I've not enjoyed one game yet with this thing. It either has texture issues or crashes.

I think I'm going to return the card. It still is within the 30-day refund timeframe and there is no restocking fee where I got it. I'll just play with my Ati 9700 Pro until an 6800 Ultra actually becomes available to purchase. someplace before 2005.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I have a PNY ultra at work that does almost exactly the same thing, only 85 degrees is my magic number. I have a feeling that there was some sloppy work done either in testing the memory or the contact between one of the components and the heat sink. I plan to exchange mine once PNY gets the ultras back in stock.

I made some comments about my findings in this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=365359#post365359

DRen72
07-19-04, 04:45 PM
Well the BFG GT is going back. I managed to get lucky and snagged an eVGA 6800 Ultra this afternoon and its scheduled for delivery Wednesday. Hopefully these temperature anomalies will be history with the eVGA. If not, then I'm going back to ATi.

Saibot
07-20-04, 12:41 AM
I just let rthdribl run for a while in a 1024x768 window on one display and had the temp monitor on the 2nd display. My BFG 6800GT hit 101! Holy crap that's hot. The card was stable though and it's still a long way from the 120 slowdown threshold. It stayed around 93 with the side of the case off though.

DRen72
07-20-04, 10:07 AM
I just let rthdribl run for a while in a 1024x768 window on one display and had the temp monitor on the 2nd display. My BFG 6800GT hit 101! Holy crap that's hot. The card was stable though and it's still a long way from the 120 slowdown threshold. It stayed around 93 with the side of the case off though.

Exactly...see mine should not have been locking up and crashing at 84 degrees. Your's seems to be just fine.

Ponch
07-20-04, 02:25 PM
I have the same problem. My Ultra card locks at 85°C.
Any news in solving the problem?

Zetto
07-20-04, 03:18 PM

ouch! how long did u run the bench to rise to such temp? Also, what were the settings on ur video (enable dual-view and whatsnot)... I ran same thing at a higher res, and in 15-20 min it stabilized at 84-85c mark, sometimes jumping up to 86c but going down in a sec or 2. I let it ran for 5 more min but temp was stable, so I stopped the thing. I had a single screen 1280x1024, tho, and just stretched it to the max, leaving little space for the temp. display. One more question: what was ur ambient temp reported by forceware and by the mobo?

EDIT: u do realize that at 100c water boils, right? I mean, u literally could fry an egg on ur videocard :bugeyes:

Nv40
07-20-04, 03:19 PM
all the Farcry locks i have ever had.. have something to do with memory in the patch 1.1. is a game issue in my opinion. it happens sometimes... and have found that if you press many times CTRL+esc or ctlr+alt+delete.. you will exit the game to your desktop ,and will see a Farcry error window ,saying about the memory issue. using [tab] key you can abort the game from that window and start it again from where you left saved the game.

Saibot
07-20-04, 09:03 PM
It only took a few minutes to hit 100, and yeah I realize this thing could boil water. I was running in Dualview mode with both screens at 1152x864 and rthdribl was windowed. The ambient temp got up to 71. Right now I'm just websurfing my ambient is 52 and core is 69 - still hotter than most people's cards. Guess I better leave the side of the case off for DoomIII.

ynnek
07-20-04, 09:22 PM
One last thing, whats your PSU rating? The hotter your PSU gets, the less power it can provide... some PSU's are rated at an absurdly low temp, like 0 or 20C.. so in the real world, their output isn't as high as advertised.

Or it could be a bad card.

My BFG 6800GT peaks at 92C after 30 mins with the rthdribl demo.. but its still stable...

I can't get a good reading in Far Cry, cause by the time I quit and check, the temps have dropped down.. My guess is it hovers around high 70, low 80's.

Zetto
07-20-04, 11:03 PM
Yeah my ambient/GPU when in 2d is 44c/62c, and the room temp is a little hot, about 22-25c i think. My mobo (IC7) reports ambient at 37-38c (but they might be lower, Abit is famous for reporting temp higher than real). I have relatively good airflow tho, 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans (one of the exhausts is PSU)... 6800gt is rock solid at it's highest temp (85-86c), so I doubt ur problem lies with temp, ppl can run these babies at higher temps still... Like I said in another thread, it is possible ur GPU is faulty. Alternatively, it is possible that my and many other's GPU temp is reported wrong, I dunno... Some ppl have 40c idle, 60c load on stock air cooling, which is a really big difference to be explained by difference in cooling IMHO. I dunno, there is something fishy about temps on this new series of cards.

aAv7
07-20-04, 11:29 PM
I have 52C idle 80C full load is the highest i've been so far. Ran the rthdribl demo and I was steady @ 77C ...100C is way too warm imo. I know the threshhold is 120C, but do u really want something thats 100C inside your computer near all your other parts? I say u rma yours saibot...that or maybe u have a faulty psu or bad case cooling? I just played an hour of ut2k4 and didnt go over 67C.

EDIT: Of course im at stock...not sure if you have yours oc'd.