PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered an EVGA 6800 GT

betterdan
07-18-04, 10:50 PM
I have been away from Nvidia cards for a while and just now ordered a 6800 GT from EVGA. They said it was in stock and i got it for $419 including 2 day shipping. Anyways I just wanted to know if the Far Cry IQ problem has been fixed (I know I should have asked before ordering the card) and is there any other outstanding problems with the card and games? What driver seems the best right now?

Ruined
07-18-04, 10:55 PM
I have been away from Nvidia cards for a while and just now ordered a 6800 GT from EVGA. They said it was in stock and i got it for $419 including 2 day shipping. Anyways I just wanted to know if the Far Cry IQ problem has been fixed (I know I should have asked before ordering the card) and is there any other outstanding problems with the card and games? What driver seems the best right now?

FarCry problem is fixed in the FarCry 1.2 patch, which will likely be available this week...

By the time you get your card official drivers should be available on Nvidia.com, those will be the best to use.

aAv7
07-18-04, 10:56 PM
I also got a evga card from them. They ship on time, which is awesome, seeing as alot of online places dont ship same day as claimed. 61.71's imho still hold up as the best drivers. Great in games, they include ps3.0, and their stable. Their not whql, but I dont mind.

FarCry has i.q problems with or without the 1.1 patch, but there is a fix, just download the fp16 or fp32 r300 mode patch and things work and look fine.

EDIT: And ruined is right, the 1.2 patch will fix these i.q problems and speed up shaders, as for that patch being released this week though....I wouldnt hold my breath.

TISaint
07-18-04, 10:59 PM
I also got a evga card from them. They ship on time, which is awesome, seeing as alot of online places dont ship same day as claimed. 61.71's imho still hold up as the best drivers. Great in games, they include ps3.0, and their stable. Their not whql, but I dont mind.

FarCry has i.q problems with or without the 1.1 patch, but there is a fix, just download the fp16 or fp32 r300 mode patch and things work and look fine.

EDIT: And ruined is right, the 1.2 patch will fix these i.q problems and speed up shaders, as for that patch being released this week though....I wouldnt hold my breath.

Wish I can say the same about my experience with Evga, ordered online on Wednesday, got an email on the same day saying that it's been shipped. On Friday morning the tracking number they had given me still doesn't work so I called them up to try to figure out what's up.

At first the guy couldn't even locate my order, after a few phone calls he said that there's been a mistake and that the cards had been shipped out to someone else :lame: and that the cards would be shipped out later that day. Anywaz, should get the cards tomorrow, still, not impressed to say the least.

Ruined
07-18-04, 11:02 PM

Well, final RC of patch went out for testing on Wednesday of last week so I'm hoping :)

aAv7
07-18-04, 11:02 PM
that is lame. sorry to hear about the probs. I ordered mine last monday, paid for overnight shipping, had it tuesday by 9:30am.

aAv7
07-18-04, 11:03 PM
Well, final RC of patch went out for testing on Wednesday of last week so I'm hoping :)

I'm hoping too, but the way this patch has been going, I expect the unexpected. =)

TISaint
07-18-04, 11:04 PM
that is lame. sorry to hear about the probs. I ordered mine last monday, paid for overnight shipping, had it tuesday by 9:30am.

Well I am sure that had they shipped out when they say they did I woulda gotten the card pretty fast, I mean they shipped it out Friday afternoon and they were already in British Columbia by Saturday morning.

zombie10k
07-18-04, 11:04 PM
I ordered a few weeks ago on the phone with these guys. With they speaka' da' english a little better, but it IS located in Southern Cali.

anyway, it shipped the same day I ordered. Great card, rock solid @ 410/1150.

Warning, don't bother taking off the thermal pads. I used to get 420/1200 before removing and replacing with AS2. I noticed the Ram heatsinks are far from flat, and don't make good surface contact. The thermal pads were taking up the slack. I will have to lap these HS to get it to sit right now.

betterdan
07-18-04, 11:25 PM
Cool thanks everyone. I heard Direct x 9.0C is coming soon will that make any difference with the 6800s? Wasn't it supposed to help speed up the crappy FX cards? Sorry to anyone with those cards I didn't mean to offend :D

Oh also I know about coolbits 3 but I saw someone had coolbits 2 or something. What is that and is there any other numbers to put in? Sorry for so many questions but I wanna get caught up on Nvidia stuff again.

OWA
07-18-04, 11:46 PM
eVGA is great. Ordered in the morning, shipped the same day, got it the next (paid for next day service though).

I'm currently using the WHQL drivers from the eVGA site: 61.72 and they're working well for me.

betterdan
07-19-04, 08:22 PM
Woohoo just got my shipping confirmation email with the tracking number. Damn these guys are fast. Can't wait to get it Wednesday and hook her up :drooling:
I have an ATI 9700 Pro in this machine now do you think it will cause problems just uninstalling its drivers then slapping the GT in? I sure as hell don't wanna reformat unless I seriously have to.

ssj4goku887
07-19-04, 08:23 PM
yup just 2 days. i waited over a week for mine stupid ups ground shippping is much slower than fed ex heh. you shoudlnt have any problems i didnt have any jsut sue driver cleaner and it shoudl be ok.

betterdan
07-19-04, 08:25 PM
Thanks ssj4goku887. I'll make sure i use driver cleaner and ATI's own cat uninstaller too.

ssj4goku887
07-19-04, 08:27 PM
this is Daishi btw :)

betterdan
07-19-04, 08:29 PM
Aha sneaking around huh? I'll have a much better score for the pit challenge soon :)

ssj4goku887
07-19-04, 09:32 PM
yeah yeah :P