PDA

View Full Version : WHAT THE!!! Has this happened on a 6800?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Timothyb
07-19-04, 02:26 AM
I just got a PNY 6800 128mb from COMPUSA and I'm having a serious problem!!!

The second I insert the card into the AGP slot the card's speaker starts a constant beep!!! I haven't even reconnected the power cable to the psu and turned it on yet.

I've tried it with the PSU on too, then with the power cable from the card connected to the PSU, basically all combinations.

A review on a 6800 Ultra said the speaker is for temperature warnings, and that's all I can find out on the net about it, no support on PNY's website or Nvidia about the speaker, or even what it is!!!

I haven't tried starting up the system while the card is beeping, I wanted to get an opinion first. Who knows, maybe the second it turns on the speaker will reset or something, or just blow everything to hell.

My mobo is a A7N8X and a Antec True power 420watt

Also, I haven't used a Nvidia card for 2 years, I've been hanging around at Rage3D for 2 years with my 9700pro, but it looks like I might be hanging around here a bit more.

Thanx for any help

Jarred
07-19-04, 02:39 AM
start it up, if it blows, they'll have to replace it. :)

no, but it should only do damage to the card at the worst, should harm the rest of your sys.

nvjarett
07-19-04, 02:45 AM
pny figures

Timothyb
07-19-04, 03:00 AM
Ok, I put tape on the speaker so I wouldn't go nuts and proceeded to connect a monitor and start-up. Instantly the speaker went off and all seems to be working.

I haven't installed any drivers yet, first I'm going to shutdown and see if it beeps again.

Also, what's the best drivers to dl? PNY didn't come with a CD, but just a paper saying to go to their website to dl the v61.34 drivers. So much for the cd they said that was included on the box.

Timothyb
07-19-04, 03:02 AM
CRAP, this is nuts, when the computer shuts down the speaker continues beeping again!!!

lowdog
07-19-04, 03:19 AM
install some drivers.

are you sure the card is seated properly and is on it's own dedicated power connector/line.

got me confused?

BTW, are you saying the card has it's own speaker????? haden't heard of that before????

ChrisRay
07-19-04, 03:20 AM
That speaker usually means the card is not installed properly. Either not recieving enough power or not seated in the AGP slot properly..

Timothyb
07-19-04, 03:31 AM
The card has a power cable connected to it. The card is seated all the way, as from my laptop I can see the computer on with the desktop, no drivers yet. The thing is, how can it be a beep for not being seated properly if it does it whe the PSU is off and Power Cable to the wall outlet is out. Also, it starts beeping the instant it's partially in the agp slot before I've pushed it all the way down.

Here's a pic off of a HardOCP review of a Ultra, the speaker is on the right:
http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_6_l.jpg

QUOTE from HardOCP:"The round device next to the Primary Molex connector is a temperature warning speaker"

ChrisRay
07-19-04, 03:32 AM
Odd, Mine went off like a banshee when I didnt get the card seated completely.

Timothyb
07-19-04, 03:34 AM
Odd, Mine went off like a banshee when I didnt get the card seated completely.

Well, are you sure that wasn't your mobo making the sound after you started it up? This card works fine till I shut down then starts to beep, kind of the opposite. Unless your card started to beep and then went away once you pushed it down all the way.

ChrisRay
07-19-04, 03:38 AM
Well, are you sure that wasn't your mobo making the sound after you started it up? This card works fine till I shut down then starts to beep, kind of the opposite. Unless your card started to beep and then went away once you pushed it down all the way.

Lol no that definately wasnt my motherboard, The Geforce 6800 sound beep is very distinguishable ;)

Timothyb
07-19-04, 03:53 AM
Here's a high-res pic of it seated, it can't get any better than that:
http://premium.uploadit.org/TimothyB/6800_AGP.jpg

Timothyb
07-19-04, 03:58 AM
Does this mean anyone that installs a 6800 will hear a beep till it's pushed down and seated all the way?

OWA
07-19-04, 08:32 AM
This seems impossible unless the card is getting power somehow. Since it seems to be running on air I think I'd get it replaced. It's probably possessed. :)

Fatman
07-19-04, 08:37 AM
:lol2: Hehe sorry man, for some reason I just find this very funny.

You are saying the card beeps even when the power is off? What's feeding power to the speaker?

Ti22
07-19-04, 08:42 AM
The card has a power cable connected to it. The card is seated all the way, as from my laptop I can see the computer on with the desktop, no drivers yet. The thing is, how can it be a beep for not being seated properly if it does it whe the PSU is off and Power Cable to the wall outlet is out. Also, it starts beeping the instant it's partially in the agp slot before I've pushed it all the way down.

Here's a pic off of a HardOCP review of a Ultra, the speaker is on the right:
http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_6_l.jpg

QUOTE from HardOCP:"The round device next to the Primary Molex connector is a temperature warning speaker"

lol it sounds scary how can there be energy for the damn thing to beep? lol its haunted.

kahloq
07-19-04, 09:00 AM
lol it sounds scary how can there be energy for the damn thing to beep? lol its haunted.
Because I would think that the bios on the card has a battery

OWA
07-19-04, 09:32 AM
Hmm, good point although I never remember seeing a battery on any of my video cards. I wonder where they hide it or how they handle it if a battery isn't on the card.

EMunEeE
07-19-04, 10:01 AM

:lol2:

Slyder
07-19-04, 11:06 AM
Break the little speaker off, problem sorted. :D

But seriously, this sounds pretty serious now. It looks to be seated perfectly, so I would consider an exchange.

mustrum
07-19-04, 11:21 AM
Get an exorzist for that thing. :lol2:

Seriously: I'd RMA the card.

kahloq
07-19-04, 11:29 AM
The battery doesnt have to be very big at all. Watch batteries are tiny and a bios for a vid card would need even less.

Spotch
07-19-04, 11:35 AM
Looks like you have a real cluster of molex splitters. Are you using a dedicated line directly from the PS for the card?

cliffc8488
07-19-04, 11:47 AM
I doubt that the video card has a battery. My guess is that the card is receiving power through the AGP port from a powered USB hub. The card is probably fine. If it is a powered hub just shut it off with the computer.

CC

Timothyb
07-19-04, 01:43 PM
What do you mean by Power hub and shut it off with your computer? I do have an external powered usb hub, and that could give it power. I'll try pulling it out of the usb port it's in to see.

This card will beep even when the molex is not connected to anything, I just had the y-splitter in it but the other ends not connected to anything.

Also, yeah, there's a lot of cables in there, 5 harddrives will do that. But the power cable to the card comes directly from the PSU to the splitter and the extra end just goes to a fan controller, so the power hasn't been chained at all before it gets to the card.

Also, I noticed with this card that the picture quality is nice and sharp, but once I go past 1280*960 and use 1600*1200 that I normally do on my Sony 21inch e540, it just seems fuzzy.

I'm not saying Nvida cards are bad over ATI since at work I use the same monitor, just a bit older, e500, with a TNT2 at 1600*1200, and it's much sharper. I was able to notice right away as reversed out type or light greys are fuzzy, and black type a little more bold.

Though, I'm sure I'd get use to it after a while and not notice, that's if I never had to look at another monitor, but I'll be noticing each day when I go to work where it's much sharper there.