PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT BIOS flash gone bad!

Melhisedek
07-19-04, 04:38 AM
Maaaaates help please!
Well I tried that flash your GT to Ultra thingie and it didn't work that well ( lowered my scores by some 300 points + added heat + that it could freeze whenever it felt like it ( no artifacts no anything at Ultra clocks and above )

So I tried flashing back and had a lot of troubles, and this morning I saw some guy post his BIOS and instructions how to flash back regardless.
-f xxx.rom -p -u -2

I tried that with some BIOS he provided but I got even worse problems like I could loop 3DMark03 but couldn't play UT2k4 for more than 2 minutes.
So I tried to flash to my original BIOS with this new command.

Now all I get when I start my rig is continous beep and nothing else ( fans are spinning as well ) but I can't flash it back for the life of me. It never comes to checking floppy.

Any ideas guys? Is the PCI card only solution? Please!

THank you for your time!

noko
07-19-04, 05:01 AM
Did you save your original bios with NVflash?
What card do you have?
So it is obvious that your machine isn't booting from the floppy but was it before?

If your machine isn't booting then stick another card back in and fix the boot problem. Do you still have your old card? Or you are using your old card and your new card locks up the machine before it can boot?

A pci card is maybe your best choice, another option is to stick your card into another machine and try to flash the rom again.

Melhisedek
07-19-04, 05:13 AM
Here it goes.
I have Gainward 6800GT and I saved my BIOS with that wfflash program everyone used here, before I flashed my card to Ultra. Later on I couldn't flash back to GT ( looks like Leadtek Bios changed some ID or something )

Than I used nvflash and tried to flash my old BIOS, I got just blank screen, but rig would boot. So I flashed blindly back to Ultra BIOS.

After that I tried to get my hands on some GT BIOS and I got some PNY one, flashed and got visuals back, but than strange lockups began to show. Somewhere I saw that you could use "nvchk" program to check BIOS checksum, I did that with my old BIOS ( saved with wfflash ) and it changed something, I tried flashing to that one and after boot, I now get that beeping sound. I think BIOS got corrrupt or something so rig thinks there is no c<ard inside or something...

I still have my old 9800XT but I don't see how it could help :/

On the other hand I'm worried that even with PCI card new flash wont work. I'm so mad right now :(

Also I don't have any other machine to try or use this card :( Just this laptop I'm posting from.

noko
07-19-04, 05:18 AM
Looks like you corrupted your original bios with wfflash. Meaning a pci card is probably the answer now since your machine isn't booting with that card in it. You should be able to flash your agp card with a pci card in place except now you need the correct bios for your card which you do not have :(.

Flashfire
07-19-04, 05:25 AM
Hind-sight is always 20/20. Please people... remember to back-up your original firmware from YOUR card (not just another card of the same type) and have that handy before flashing.

Melhisedek
07-19-04, 05:46 AM
Well I thought I had it, but somehow that wwflash gave me some BIOS I couldn't flash back.

slainfoe
07-19-04, 06:05 AM
why would you flash a 400$ peice of hardware for no good reason anyways? least motherboards are cheap.

Ghosthunter
07-19-04, 06:47 AM
why would you flash a 400$ peice of hardware for no good reason anyways? least motherboards are cheap.

Good idea...i dont get why people do this then get mad when things go wrong..it not worth it for extra fps

Melhisedek
07-19-04, 08:03 AM
Good idea...i dont get why people do this then get mad when things go wrong..it not worth it for extra fps

As you can see in "I flashed my 6800GT!" thread. Plenty of people flashed and many got it to work. I followed other threads at FM and "Hard" forums as well and I thought that it would work for me to. As you can see it didn't and I can say I'm first with this kind of trouble and still people are flashing and getting positive results... So it is just bite the bulett and try.

Thing that I bought 400$ Card can tell you how much I and the rest of the GT peeps like those extra fps.

BTW thanks for bumping my thread!

ssj4goku887
07-19-04, 08:11 AM
your gonna have to find someone else who has the gainward GT and ask them for a copy of your cards bios but tell them to use the same program to copy it your going to use and try doing that.

randsom
07-19-04, 08:12 AM
i can tell ya a thing or 2 about bad bios flashes, fortunatly none have been fatal for me.

call gainward and have them email you the gt bios. put it on a bootable floppy,along with the latest version of nvflash, or maybe gainwards got their own flash utilty

i assume youve got a pci vc, if not things get tougher, youll have to blind flash which sux.if you can even get that far

then read the readme text which should be included in either nvflash, or the gt bios, for the right switches

clear your cmos, and leave everything default values,cant state this strongly enough, NEVER ,EVER flash with youre system or vidieo card overclocked, the chances for a bad flash go through the roof, boot off the floppy,run nvflash using the the proper switches, youll probably get a error, saying the wrong bios or something like that. you should still be able to flash by using the right switches,and forcing the flash

if you can get to start to flash, dont touch anything keyboard, mouse ect, let the flash finish, reboot and do it again.

Ive used this method a time or 2 to save both vcs and a motherboard or 2

Melhisedek
07-19-04, 08:44 AM
Well my problem is that I can't even get my rig to post. Right after pressing Pow button and fans spinning I get beep and nothing else, happens. No HD access, and no floppy access. I think rig thinks that my card is faulty or not even there ( because of bad flash ) so it doesn't want to boot.

ssj4goku887
07-19-04, 09:00 AM
try e mailing gainward and seeing if they can do anything about it. if you cant fix it yourself your probably gonna have to send it in and they can do it for you. if they are nice they wont charge you but if they arent nice they will heh mite wanna check up on that.

Slyder
07-19-04, 11:13 AM
I hope this has taught you a valuable lesson.

You may not want to try something so stupid again.

Melhisedek
07-19-04, 11:32 AM
Could you please wait until I have sorted this out before preaching and proclaiming "stupid"? I know, I know! I'm stupid is it fine now?!? It's like 80% of people are out after to show me how stupid I am and how smart they are because they would never do such thing. I get it!
Now I'm in dire need of help if you haven't noticed already, and these posts of yours aren't helping me a bit. Give me a break please and say a prayer for me instead of calling me stupid...
Thank you for your time.

ssj4goku887
07-19-04, 11:43 AM
email gainward about it.

jimmor
07-19-04, 01:31 PM
i can tell ya a thing or 2 about bad bios flashes, fortunatly none have been fatal for me.

NEVER ,EVER flash with youre system or vidieo card overclocked, the chances for a bad flash go through the roof

Whilst I might accept your caution about flashing with highly overclocked mobo's, it is totally irrelevant to whether your graphics card is overclocked. The normal overclocked or otherwise speeds of your graphics card are Windows applied speeds. And since you are flashing in DOS, none of these overclocked speeds apply. In DOS, your card is actually running in a safe speed mode, and for a 59xx card the speed is typically 250/500, as set by its bios.

Melhisedek
07-19-04, 01:34 PM
Whilst I might accept your caution about flashing with highly overclocked mobo's, it is totally irrelevant to whether your graphics card is overclocked. The normal overclocked or otherwise speeds of your graphics card are Windows applied speeds. And since you are flashing in DOS, none of these overclocked speeds apply. In DOS, your card is actually running in a safe speed mode, and for a 59xx card the speed is typically 250/500, as set by its bios.

I really like your sig jimmor :beer:

JGene
07-19-04, 11:53 PM
Got one suggestion: do you have a copy of your bios that is NOT kept on the original floppy that wfflash offloaded it to? I've had a lot of floppy failures in the last few days and I even had a few checksum errors on my bios'. When I had originally tried to flash my BFG 6800 GT it would error out on me with a bad checksum. After I switched floppies everything was peachy. :)

Oh yeah, as was stated above, I'd load all your bios defaults then try again too. Never know when an even slightly overclocked bit of hardware will read wrong values and create checksum errors when there should not be any.

Another good thing to do is to try and get an original bios from someone else who has the same card as you. Even if it's not identical, you should get similar ram timings/voltages provided by the bios of an identical-model card.

Last if not least, you could try to RMA it. Flashing or not flashing your bios, your card genuinelly could have gone bad and you'd never know it. I swap system boards on laptops at work all day long and occasionally I'll get one that works great for the first 72 hours, then it's all downhill from there: first hard locks, then random freezes, then boot issues, then posting problems, then no post at all. Bummer when it happens but it can happen to anybody.

Good luck!

randsom
07-20-04, 07:36 AM

youre absolutly right, i was more talking about the pci/agp bus, and not wanting to get to technical

Melhisedek
07-20-04, 07:45 AM
At last =)
Happy Ending this time! I got my hands on one PCI card and flashed my card with "zombie10k" GT BIOS. ( Thanks man wherever you are )
It's not original Gainward but it looks like there is no Gainward 6800GT GS users willing to dump theirs :/ ( I will find you and hunt you down ) :P

Anyway it's working like a charm now! I got back my old o/c 415/1160 ( I could go higher with Ultra BIOS ) but I got my 300 points back in 3DMark03 ( before 122xx now 1244x ) This is with same services, same drivers, same settings... And no more crashes and freezes in UT2k4
I'm a happy camper again :)

So now I'm just after a Gainward 6800GT Golden Sample BIOS again :)
Thanks for your help guys!

noko
07-21-04, 02:15 AM
Glad to hear it worked out.