PDA

View Full Version : 9800/X800/6800 Noise comparison?

Gaco
07-19-04, 05:36 AM
Do you guys know anything about the noiselevel of the Geforce 6800 GT/Ultra compared to ATI's leading cards and the older generation cards? Is there a particular brand that produces especially silent cards, like HIS's X800XT IceQ II, just for the NV40?

Also, please tell me about your personal experiences on the new generation cards regarding noise :)

Vapor Trail
07-19-04, 06:24 AM
My system has 4 case fans and is a bit loud to start with but I've had both the 9800XT and the 6800GT and I can't hear either above the other fans.

If I turn all the other fans off, I can hear the 6800GT but only on start up while it is running in fast mode, after that I can't hear it above the hard drive.
I have yet to hear the fan on the GT change speed while gaming.

The 9800XT was pretty much the same way except that I could hear the overall hum of my system change a bit when the XT kicked into high mode during intense 3d gaming. As the card got a bit older I noticed that the fan started getting a bit louder.

From my experiences I'd say that the GT and 9800Xt are about the same.

OWA
07-19-04, 08:28 AM
I have an X800 Pro and a 6800 GT and I can't hear either above the system noise. I can hear the GT on boot but once windows starts it goes quiet.

They're definitely quieter than my 5900U and AIW 9800 Pro. The AIW didn't make a lot of gushing fan noise but it had an extremely annoying whine (I guess from a small fan running at high rpms).

Gaco
07-19-04, 09:09 AM
Ok. Im just asking because im going to buy a Geforce 6800 Ultra any minutte now, the only thing holding me back is that I can't decide which brand to buy. Noise is kind of a big deal to me, I would really like the least noisy 6800U as possible. As far as I know, Geforce 6800 Ultra has no answer to the ultra-silent HIS X800XT IceQ II?

OWA
07-19-04, 09:26 AM
Someone posted earlier that a silent-type solution (a version of the vga silencer) for the ultra would be released in a few weeks.

Gaco
07-19-04, 09:27 AM
Do you remember what brand it was from?

OWA
07-19-04, 09:35 AM
Maybe artic-cooling's vga silencer. I'll see if I can find the post. Someone was asking about getting one for the 6800 series and sent e-mail to the company. The company guy responded that they'd have one available in a few weeks. That was probably a week ago when I saw that. I think the post in the graphics card forum here if you want to try to search for it also.

Edit: Ack! I was off on the amount of time. It was posted about a week ago and the guy said it would be available in 6 weeks. Oh, but I just noticed the guy on the forum said he sent the e-mail a while back. So maybe it is close to be released.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31852&highlight=silencer

The NV Silencer 5 will be available in about 6 weeks.

Best Regards

ARCTIC COOLING Support
Magnus Huber

Gaco
07-19-04, 09:44 AM
Ok thanks. So what is the most quiet 6800 Ultra right NOW? Know that? :)

OWA
07-19-04, 09:53 AM
I'd contact artic-cooling just to ask about when it'll be available. I'm not sure how long ago it was that the guy in forum sent the e-mail. They could be close to releasing version 5.

As for the other question, no, I'm not sure. I'm interested in the same thing and was following it more closely when I was looking for an Ultra. But, I decided not to wait any more and got the GT. So lately, I haven't been following the "silencer" type threads as closely. If I run across anything I'll post it though.

Edit: This article (snagged from another forum post) has a preview on some of the silencers including the ones for the X800 series.

http://pcmoddingmy.com/content.php?review.81

Gaco
07-19-04, 10:05 AM
Its just that I'd like a silent graphicscard without having to mod it by installing another cooler. I would like it to be silent from retail, just like HIS X800XT IceQ II. So do you think it will be possible to do that?

lightman
07-19-04, 10:05 AM
Given that *all* of the 6800/GT/Ultra out there right now are almost the same (reference) board, with the same ('xcept for stickers) heatsink/fan combo, I'd say that they are all equal w/ regard to noise level.

aAv7
07-19-04, 10:08 AM
I had a x800 pro, now have a 6800 gt...their identcal with noise...couldnt/cant hear either. My 80mm case fans are louder.

OWA
07-19-04, 10:10 AM
Its just that I'd like a silent graphicscard without having to mod it by installing another cooler. I would like it to be silent from retail, just like HIS X800XT IceQ II. So do you think it will be possible to do that?
From what I've seen so far, there isn't a solution like the HIS one for the nvidia side yet. Heh, you could buy one of the ones with a water-block. That should be quiet and cool. :)

I'm pretty much the same way. I'd prefer to buy it that way from retail (already modified).

dnottis
07-19-04, 10:19 AM
My whole case runs about 21 DBA, so I can definitly hear the video card in my PC. The X800 Pro is quieter than the 6800 GT. Not by much - and in no way would either card considered loud - 9800XT and 5900 were much louder. But the 6800 GT is much more audible than the X800 Pro.