PDA

View Full Version : Cannot make up my mind. x800xt-pe or 6800 ultra

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mesce
07-19-04, 07:12 AM
Im in the market for a new graphics card within the next 2 weeks and the ati won't improve the performance and is £320 but the nvidia is constantly improving with different drivers and is a bit dearer but I would like your thoughts on the pro's and con's of each card. I wanted a gainward 6800 ultra gs but they are looking to be faulty and I dont want a faulty card. Im liking the msi 6800 ultra and the xfx one at the moment also the aopen is quite nice.

kahloq
07-19-04, 07:57 AM
I would recommend definetly Nvidia :) It has more features and is the only cards that have SM3.0 support.

XFX is a good brand as is MSI, but be careful of single slot MSI's or Gainwards as they WILL run a bit hotter since the fan is smaller. Theres a review here that mentions that in one of the threads here

Mojoe
07-19-04, 08:02 AM
I am in the same boat as you, i cant make up my mind either on what card to get. Having a 9700Pro now so it could be fun to try the NV40, but i was also thinking that i should wait for the next rev. of the NV40.

Mesce
07-19-04, 08:08 AM
Well, I don't mind about having massive cooling with 2 molex connectors because after all who wants a card that runs hot and won't overlclock very far. The x800 xtpe also has something called 3dc which improves image quality without sacrificing performance but can only be used in games that support it. Also temporal aa gives good performance. The nvidia is getting better though with every new driver (betas) that come out and I want to go nvidia as im a nvidia guy but i dont wanna be in the same boat as when i got my 5900.

kahloq
07-19-04, 08:13 AM
The Ultras are even in performance with the x800 xt-pe. Some cases the xt-pe wins by a marginal amount and half the ultra's win. Opengl is owned by Nvidia this round as has always been the case.

I know about 3dc and it requires gamer makers to utilize it. There hasnt been many game makers willing to include it yet and more are leaning to SM3.0(as its supported by DX9.0c).

Mojoe
07-19-04, 08:18 AM
And the X800XT PE wont be out before 10/15/04. :lame:

http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2537962

Mesce
07-19-04, 08:19 AM
Well that settles it then, 6800 ultra it is for me, hopefully before doom 3 comes out i shall have it. thanks for ur help. Anybody suggesting any makes? I can't seem to find a shop that sells a bfg6800ultra in the uk.

kahloq
07-19-04, 09:10 AM
I dunno if you can get a BFG in the UK as BFG is USA and Canada, unless you get someone here to buy and ship it to you.

XFX is good like I said, MSI is decent too but theirs are single slot with smaller fans. Leadtek is not as high on the list nor is Chaintek, but they are still ok. Evga might ship overseas, I dunno. Check the preorder thread and check ALL the stores to see if they ship overseas. There was a thread in
[H]ardCop that listed UK stores.

slainfoe
07-19-04, 09:18 AM
rofl nice paper launch ATI.
/hug my bfg 6800 ultra

datamage
07-19-04, 09:32 AM
And the X800XT PE wont be out before 10/15/04

That's only if you order from ATI's online store. They are still fulfilling shipments to various vendors/retailers,

As to which card to get, I don't know. I'm using an XTPE and it's great, but I'm still waiting for my damn BFG 6800U to ship from Best Buy. Once I try out both cards then I'll make a decision.

- D.

Mesce
07-19-04, 09:57 AM
I could get a x800 xtpe from ebay for £320 buy it now price. and have it within 2 days but i dont want the troiuble of it being faulty and not being able to use the 3 year warranty cos they ask for a receipt.

kahloq
07-19-04, 10:39 AM
6800 Ultra :)

DRen72
07-19-04, 04:42 PM
I was able to get an ATi x800XT-PE about 6 weeks ago and I played with it for about a week before selling it to a friend. Why you ask? ...Drivers. The ATi drivers sucked and caused graphical problems in nearly every game I played. What cracks me up is that now they still haven't fixed these problems and have only had one driver release. nVidia on the other hand has had several (beta) drivers over the last few weeks and it gives us options to choose from. My final choice is the eVGA 6800 Ultra.

Gaco
07-19-04, 04:53 PM
May I ask why you chose rVGA over the other brands also selling 6800U cards? :)

aAv7
07-19-04, 05:27 PM
whats wrong with evga?

zer0xp
07-19-04, 06:15 PM
whats wrong with evga?
Nothing at all

oh, and i vote 6800 U

thunderhippo
07-19-04, 06:18 PM
neither.
get a gt
you wont get a card before doom2 comes out if those are your only choices..
unless you want to spend 900$ plus..

dan2097
07-19-04, 06:23 PM
X800XT PE is faster. Its got better specifications, drivers cant make up for that.

You should get the Nvidia card though as even your initial post is negatively biased against ATI so you'd probably be happier with the Nvidia card. ATIs drivers have been constantly improving the X800s performance if you ignore the 4.5 betas (as they are really more similar to the 4.6s).

SM3.0 support may be useful in the future so that could be a legitimate reason if you plan on keeping the card for a long time.

EDIT: actually let me change that, SM3.0 WILL be useful in the future just depends how long are you goign to have the card as to how much difference it will make. For an example of the level of usage of Sm3.0 we are likely to see in the forseeable future, farcry doesnt seem to get much benefit from vs3.0 and its ps3.0 effects that give the speedup should with some effort be possible to use on atleast the X800s/gffxs. And even with that the X800XT PE is still indisputably faster at 1600x1200 4xfsaa 8xaf

In current games you have ATIs fsaa advantage (6xfsaa with a small performance hit vs 4xfsaa and as good edge anti aliansing as Nvidias 8xs) and temporal anti aliansing which may be useful

Revgen
07-19-04, 06:24 PM
I would recommend definetly Nvidia :) It has more features and is the only cards that have SM3.0 support.

XFX is a good brand as is MSI, but be careful of single slot MSI's or Gainwards as they WILL run a bit hotter since the fan is smaller. Theres a review here that mentions that in one of the threads here

You also forgot to mention Ultashadow (used for doom III), more advanced HDR , 3d glasses support, more reliable drivers...I could go on forever! :)

Cota
07-19-04, 06:29 PM
Just flip a coin, you should be happy with either.

betterdan
07-19-04, 06:51 PM
neither.
get a gt
you wont get a card before doom2 comes out if those are your only choices..

Who the hell wants to play Doom 2 on their new vid card? :D

evilchris
07-19-04, 06:51 PM
X800XT PE is faster. Its got better specifications, drivers cant make up for that.

It isn't faster. It is clocked higher and it has more fillrate. It isn't faster though. 5950U has more fillrate than 9800 Pro and 9800 Pro owned it. 5950U has better specifications than 9800 Pro. 9800 Pro however was and is still the faster card.

Your logic = flawed.

jimmyjames123
07-19-04, 07:03 PM
The 5900/5950 does not have more fillrate than the 9800 Pro/XT cards, because they are considered to be 4x2 vs 8x1 (fillrate = # of pipelines * core clock speed). However, the 5900/5950 do have more bandwith than the 9800 Pro/XT cards.

That said, fillrate and memory bandwith are not the sole determinants of performance, because of differences in the fundamental architecture and differences in the drivers. Hardware specs only go so far, and at times, driver development is just as important as hardware development. See the XGI Volari for reference, a card with good hardware specs but poor performance.

In most OpenGL games, the 6800Ultra is faster than the X800XT PE. In some other games (generally D3D), the X800XT PE is faster. Also, all of the X800XT PE benches have been done with trilinear and anisotropic filtering optimizations enabled. The 6800 cards do gain significant performance in some D3D games when both of these optimizations are enabled. Finally, SM 3.0 will bring about some gain for the 6800 cards in games like FarCry.

There are also some reviewers who have noticed that NV's anisotropic filtering algorithm is slightly sharper/clearer than ATI's (as I have mentioned before). Of course, NV also gives the consumer the option of turning off both trilinear and anisotropic filtering optimizations if desired.

Ultimately, purchasing decision depends on what you are looking for in a graphics card, what features you think are useful, and what games you play.

Sc0rp10n
07-19-04, 08:08 PM
what's the best manufacturer to go with for an nvidia card anyway?

where can you get them now?

i'm waffling between the two and don't know what to get.

also, does anyone think doom3 will be a TWIMTBP title?

betterdan
07-19-04, 08:17 PM
Scorpion I placed an order last night on EVGA's website for a 6800 GT. Just now I got an email saying it has shipped and I should receive it Wednesday. Total price with 2 day shipping is $419. They have more in stock and ship very fast.