PDA

View Full Version : Need For Speed: HP2 impressions

thcdru2k
10-24-02, 11:16 PM
well i figured i'd give it a second chance and see what the final game was all about. i was pleasantly suprised. this is definately an arcade racing game though. if you enjoy this kinda stuff that its pretty good. many many very very beautiful cars. the background and stuff isn't something to drool about though, and considering that it doesn't run as fast as i would like. i run 1024x768x32 max quality with no af and no aa smoothly though. heres a screenie.

http://home.pacbell.net/buon/nfshp2.jpg

Smokey
10-25-02, 07:39 AM
I too wasnt really happy with the performance in the demo, but Ive just installed the latest drivers 41.03 i think, and now the demo is much smoother without any slow down, playing at 1280*1024 all details maxed. Yes it is an arcade game, but thats whats its always been, Im hoping to get this one soon. BTW hows the MP? upto how many people can play in MP? I used to love playing NFS Porche unleased on my LAN :D

Edit- didnt see I made a smiley in NFS Porche :p

ragejg
10-25-02, 09:16 AM
I played the demo on my tv last nite... It was fun, but is this game missing eye candy that got applied to the xbox version?
Or is that just the detail modeling on the demo being incomplete?
I saw a commercial for the game on tv right after I got done playing... and I was dissappointed to say the least.

...it may just be a demo thing...

-r-a-g-e-j-g-

saturnotaku
10-25-02, 03:05 PM
The 41.03 drivers have helped performance in this game tremendously. I can play 1024x768 w/Quincux AA and have it be pretty smooth. Although I think I'm going to up my res to 1280 and turn off AA. I can hardly tell AA is on anyway.

I'm not too keen on the menu navigation, but everything else seems pretty good. I like the idea of having to "purchase" new cars and tracks. It makes me be very selective of which cars I should get. The Corvette Z06 is first on my list. :D

pelly
10-26-02, 03:09 PM
If you're bored, you can change the weight ( and other characteristics ) of the cards by editing their .ini files...

You have to un-click the "Read-Only" box under properties for each .ini file...

I lowered the mass of the 911 Turbo in the demo down to 200lbs and was able to hit 200mph... :p

:D

thcdru2k
10-26-02, 03:27 PM
the more i play this game the more i love it...the cars are just beautiful, and the other tracks actually have some pretty nice scenery. nothing like racing a f50 against diablo with cops trailin ya.

PCarr78
10-26-02, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
[B]well i figured i'd give it a second chance and see what the final game was all about. i was pleasantly suprised. this is definately an arcade racing game though. if you enjoy this kinda stuff that its pretty good. many many very very beautiful cars. the background and stuff isn't something to drool about though, and considering that it doesn't run as fast as i would like. i run 1024x768x32 max quality with no af and no aa smoothly though. heres a screenie.

What kind of framerate are you getting?

I'm enjoying the game, not as fun as nfs5 for some reason, though.

But I still like it.

Would be nice to have more cars though, even "crappy" ones. You know, have a category for everyday sedans or what have you. Mazda 626 Power! w00t!

Would also like to have some nice muscle cars.

Teach some punk-ass BMW not to mess with a 455 Bbl V8!

The game runs acceptably at 800x600x32 with everything maxed. As long as there are no other cars around.

One thing that bugs me is the NO DAMAGE, as well as the screwy physics.

PCarr78
10-26-02, 04:20 PM
I like thje fact that there are LOTS of shortcuts in the tracks. They're a lot of fun.

thcdru2k
10-26-02, 04:30 PM
i'm playing at 1280x1024x32 with max details now. no af and no aa.

using fraps, the framerate is lows of 30 and highs of 60. the average being around 40. smooth enough for me.

Floruro
10-28-02, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
the more i play this game the more i love it...the cars are just beautiful, and the other tracks actually have some pretty nice scenery. nothing like racing a f50 against diablo with cops trailin ya.

Good stuff man. I was really looking forward to it, and since the demo was so crap, this is a great surprise.

Smokey
11-06-02, 02:33 PM
All I can saw is wow. Just got the game today, and for me it is everything NFS:Porche Unleashed is, just such a blast. Going to see if I can play some MP with some friends if they have it :D I dont think anyone should judge this game based on the demo, the map in the demo is rather dull, and sort of short. Running the game at 1280*1024 4x anio no FSAA, game runs super smooth. Maps are different, long, nice to look at and most important fun. Im using a joypad at the moment, will try my wheel tomorrow, will be sweet driving a Ferrari with my Ferrari wheel :D

Nephilim
11-06-02, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I was pleasantly suprised by this game. I loved NFS: HS, but I didn't enjoy Porche Unleashed that much (not a big fan of Porches).

This, however, has some of my favorite cars.....

Mmmm:
McLaren F1 (LM)
Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR
Ferrari F50
Lotus Elise

Just to name a few :)

So....anyone know how to change the music yet? I was rather disappointed with the music offerings this time around.

Cereal-Killer
11-06-02, 04:02 PM
They picked the most boring track for the demo. The full game is actually a lot of fun. I haven't touched UT2003 in 3 days becuase of NFS6.

But there are still a few things that I don't like about NFS6, like:
- No dashboard view
- Hardly any car damage
- Not enough tracks and only 4 types of terrain
- No cops in multiplayer
- No day/night, snow/rain weather effects

NFS:PU had most of these features, why not this one? It's s till a great game though :)

Oh, and this tool will let you convert your mp3s to asf, so you can listen to your own music in the game: linkage (http://www.nfsdesign.net/index.php?v=6&s=utils&action=show_info&info=musicimporter) (made for MCO, but works with NFS6)

Nephilim
11-06-02, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Cereal-Killer
Oh, and this tool will let you convert your mp3s to asf, so you can listen to your own music in the game: linkage (http://www.nfsdesign.net/index.php?v=6&s=utils&action=show_info&info=musicimporter) (made for MCO, but works with NFS6)

Kick ass

Smokey
11-07-02, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Nephilim
Kick ass

I'll second that :D I just cant seem to get the songs to play in my game :( Ive added the songs into the songs list, changed the total of songs alsom is there anything else I need to do :confused: songs are in the music folder converted into the right format?

If anyone is interested in playing some direct ip MP, send me a message on ICQ # 66330479

Gargr
11-07-02, 10:42 AM
iv not read the whole thread

I liked the demo
I like the controlls and graphics

but the full game sucks.

The weather is always the same No rain, snow, night driving...
Only few locations
Only 4 camera poitions
Replays SUCK, u cant change anything except speed.

:mad:

Cereal-Killer
11-07-02, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
I'll second that :D I just cant seem to get the songs to play in my game :( Ive added the songs into the songs list, changed the total of songs alsom is there anything else I need to do :confused: songs are in the music folder converted into the right format?

From what I understand, you can't add more songs even if you change the "numtunes=23" variable in your music.ini. You can only replace songs. Check out this thread (http://site.nfscars.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3058), one guy explains it all somewhere in the middle of that page...

FastM
11-07-02, 04:51 PM
But whats this about their only being 4 tracks?

Smokey
11-07-02, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Cereal-Killer
From what I understand, you can't add more songs even if you change the "numtunes=23" variable in your music.ini. You can only replace songs. Check out this thread (http://site.nfscars.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3058), one guy explains it all somewhere in the middle of that page...

K thanks, Ill give that a try and see how that goes :D

Smokey
11-07-02, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Gargr
iv not read the whole thread

I liked the demo
I like the controlls and graphics

but the full game sucks.

The weather is always the same No rain, snow, night driving...
Only few locations
Only 4 camera poitions
Replays SUCK, u cant change anything except speed.

:mad:

Yes all the things you mentioned I agree with 100%m but as far as arcade racing games on the pc, this is great.

BTW I got my songs working in game ;)

Raptorman
11-07-02, 10:25 PM
Personally, I love the game. I've always been a fan of the Need For Speed series, and this is no exception for me. Now, that I have it fully working

I've got it running at 1280x1024x32 with 4x AA and 8x AF. No framerate loss at any point in the game. Silky smooth, just how I like it.