PDA

View Full Version : BFG Ultra OC issues with Far Cry..

Pages : [1] 2

Odral
07-19-04, 12:51 PM
well it seems like no matter what drivers or what setting I use in bios Far Cry freezes for me any other game I play works wonders. the card max temp it goes to is 69C. I tried just about everything and what I notice is that after playing far cry for long periods of time it will freeze than un freeze for a few sec than freeze. like for example iam in the research area now and it freezes after a few minutes inside the building than unfreezes. only game is Far Cry
that does this.Tried many drivers even nforce drivers. Iam thinking it's just Far Cry that needs some offical drivers maybe? anyone else having this issue with BFG Ultra OC and Far Cry? like I said what's strange is that every other games works wonders. hmmm

KarZyX
07-19-04, 01:01 PM
i have freeze too...

DRen72
07-19-04, 01:08 PM
I have a BFG 6800 GT and I am getting the EXACT same thing here. Especially at high resolutions. I've tried all drivers from 61.71 upwards to 62.01...same thing.

I'm starting to wonder if some of these BFG cards are of rushed quality. From looking around, the eVGA cards seem better.

grubster
07-19-04, 01:08 PM
guess i'm lucky. i've had no problems with my bfgu. farcry runs great for me.
i'm using 61.72

Odral
07-19-04, 01:15 PM
But the wierd thing is it's just with Far Cry for me, same for you guys? or other games as well. so Iam thinking it's a driver issue maybe.

Revgen
07-19-04, 01:42 PM
Are you guys using the 1.1 patch?

Odral
07-19-04, 02:04 PM
yes iam using 1.1 also current drivers 61.76 for me.

ynnek
07-19-04, 02:11 PM
61.72 drivers , Far Cry 1.1, BFG GT.

All in a Dell 8300, 2.6HT, 1.5 gigs of ram, with a 425 PC Power and Cooilng PSU. Onboard SoundMax

Windows XP, with all the official patches and stuff ( as in NO sp2 or dx9c)

Temps are a lil on the high side, which will be fixed with a more powerful exhaust fan.

But Far Cry runs smoothly here after hours of continuous play...
I even ran it 2+ hours OC'd, and had no problems.. but I usually just play at stock settings since I'm not really hurting for frames...

BTW, get the fix that forces FarCry 1.1 to use the Shader 2.0 effects.. (the "ATI" pathway, not the FX pathway).. Looks a bit nicer, runs just as smooth.

EDIT: How much ram do you have? When I was running only 512 megs of ram, I lots of freezes and stutters.. not enough mem leads to paging of the hd, which leads to the game freezing and stuttering when its loading stuff ingame.

kahloq
07-19-04, 02:39 PM
I have bfgultra OC as well and have ZERO problems with Farcry or anyother game. Using 61.71's

Odral
07-19-04, 02:53 PM
Wondering if it's an issue with nforce boards. using MSI Neo Plat here nforce 3 board.also using latest 4.24 nforce drivers here.

kahloq
07-19-04, 02:54 PM
Maybe but whats your system ram?

Odral
07-19-04, 03:12 PM
pc3200 crosiar 1 gig ram.

kahloq
07-19-04, 03:18 PM
whats your PSU? Farcry taxes the system quite hard. Just trying to help exclude possibilties. Does the PSU have at least 18a on the +12?

EngenZerO
07-19-04, 03:25 PM
I have bfgultra OC as well and have ZERO problems with Farcry or anyother game. Using 61.71's

yep... I too am using the 61.71 and have had zero problems with my BFG 6800 Ultra OC running @ 450/1.2 with FarCry. I am running @ 1600x1200 with 2xAA and AF set in game to 2. It looks beutiful... and runs with no major slowdown. :).

5150 Joker
07-19-04, 03:32 PM
well it seems like no matter what drivers or what setting I use in bios Far Cry freezes for me any other game I play works wonders. the card max temp it goes to is 69C. I tried just about everything and what I notice is that after playing far cry for long periods of time it will freeze than un freeze for a few sec than freeze. like for example iam in the research area now and it freezes after a few minutes inside the building than unfreezes. only game is Far Cry
that does this.Tried many drivers even nforce drivers. Iam thinking it's just Far Cry that needs some offical drivers maybe? anyone else having this issue with BFG Ultra OC and Far Cry? like I said what's strange is that every other games works wonders. hmmm

Try turning off your onboard sound and then see if the problem goes away.

Odral
07-19-04, 03:46 PM
my power supply is true antec 550, about turning off sound board audio I would have to try that when I get home iam at work now. but not sure if I have an extra soundcard laying around. using realtek 97 audio I believe right now. wonder if I use the soundstorm with 4.24 package if that might help.anyways will try when I get home.thanks for all the help guys :)

kahloq
07-19-04, 03:49 PM
I also am using onboard sound aka SoundMAX and stilll have no issues and in fact I get better sound hardware scores using this onboard sound then I see many ppl with the latest dedicated sound cards

ynnek
07-19-04, 05:05 PM
I did some reading, and SoundMax uses Analog Devices chips, and actually is one of the few onboard sound setups thats actually worth using. I've got a 5.1 speaker setup, and the surround sound works perfectly.. Games like FarCry, NWN, UT2k4 work nicely in surround..

The VoiceIP also works under UT2k4 with SoundMax, for my setup.. it doesn't under the Audigy series..

Its pretty good.. Next mb I pick, I hope has SoundMax on it.. It costs a few extra bux than the cheaper onboard sounds though, and so most mb makers skimp out on it.

I also am using onboard sound aka SoundMAX and stilll have no issues and in fact I get better sound hardware scores using this onboard sound then I see many ppl with the latest dedicated sound cards

kahloq
07-19-04, 05:42 PM
AS you can see from sig, my mobo is an asus and they dont generally skimp :)

TISaint
07-19-04, 05:48 PM

Sounds like overheating. If the vid card is oced then dial it down. If it's not, underclock it. It happens to my 4400 too if I oc too high it will freeze for a few sec and then unfreeze then repeat.

Odral
07-19-04, 06:20 PM
my card is not o/c at all .using default settings also if it was a heating issue it would happen with others games. just Far Cry it happens to. my max temp on the card was 69c so I dont think its a heat issue.

LetMeIn
07-19-04, 08:11 PM
I have the same problem as you. I played FFX1, Homeworld2, UT2k3, no problem. With Far Cry /w new patch game freezes for few seconds, from time to time. There is no hard drive nor Ram activity. I have LEDs on the ram so I see when its being accessed.
My setup

Win XP pro
eVGA 6800 Ultra EE
AMD 64 3400
1gig cas2 ram
61.7x drivers
MSI K8N Neo Platinum with latest BIos

my card is not o/c at all .using default settings also if it was a heating issue it would happen with others games. just Far Cry it happens to. my max temp on the card was 69c so I dont think its a heat issue.

EngenZerO
07-19-04, 08:37 PM
I have the same problem as you. I played FFX1, Homeworld2, UT2k3, no problem. With Far Cry /w new patch game freezes for few seconds, from time to time. There is no hard drive nor Ram activity. I have LEDs on the ram so I see when its being accessed.
My setup

Win XP pro
eVGA 6800 Ultra EE
AMD 64 3400
1gig cas2 ram
61.7x drivers
MSI K8N Neo Platinum with latest BIos

i have a similar setup except I use mushkin 222 special and I have a bfg 6800 ultra oc (450/1.2) w/ 61.71 drivers... and i have no freezes at all in farcry. I am using the factory installed bios on my k8n neo.

LetMeIn
07-19-04, 08:43 PM
do you also have amd 64 3400 ? if so what is your CPU score in 3dmark03 ?? for some reason I only get 662. 12500 overall, but CPU is slow

i have a similar setup except I use mushkin 222 special and I have a bfg 6800 ultra oc (450/1.2) w/ 61.71 drivers... and i have no freezes at all in farcry. I am using the factory installed bios on my k8n neo.

EngenZerO
07-19-04, 08:45 PM
do you also have amd 64 3400 ? if so what is your CPU score in 3dmark03 ?? for some reason I only get 662. 12500 overall, but CPU is slow

ugh... I dont remember my CPU score, but I hover around 12500 mark as well. give me a few mins I will run the cpu test.

wow... i get a cpu score of 962 (note though, I just ran the 2 CPU tests). I have amd 64 3400+ CG revision.