PDA

View Full Version : FInal Question!(IQ)

reactiv8
07-20-04, 09:26 AM
Ok I have got a final question:WHich one has better Image Quality: GF 6800U or ATI Radeon XT. Iknow that ATI has better perfomace in most games and according to ixbit.com there was no noticable difference in quality...But what's up with image quality?
I wanna go for Radeon XT800,but if NV has better image quality I will go FOr it....

rewt
07-20-04, 09:27 AM
Honestly not much difference. But IMO nVidia has always been better by a slight margin. Especially with their filtering methods.

Stoneyguy
07-20-04, 09:31 AM
I would say that if you like to improve your IQ by upping the resolution then go with Nvidia, if you like to improve it by AA/AF then go with ATI.

rewt
07-20-04, 09:42 AM
I would say that if you like to improve your IQ by upping the resolution then go with Nvidia, if you like to improve it by AA/AF then go with ATI.

I honestly don't think ATI could beat nVidia's 16x AA. And I've seen screenshots where nVidias 4x AF looked better than ATI's 16x AF. :clap: This is all subjective of course, but I'm sure many would agree.

DRen72
07-20-04, 09:47 AM
So far I agree with the responses. I've played both an ATi x800xt and an nVidia 6800 in games lately and I can say (in my opinion) the ATi has much better AA at any resolution, but AF is about even now with the two cards. The nVidia produces better shadows, lighting, and colors, but the ATi shows less jaggies and has sharp textures.
Overall, after playing with the ATi a while and then popping in a 6800, I could immediately see the difference in certain games, especially those with shadows such as Thief: DS or Splinter Cell. In FarCry, I'd swear the water (river level) looks more realistic on the nVidia and in 3DMark 2003, those Ogre's sure so seem to have better shaders on the nVidia. Or is it just me?

If you plan to run 1600x1200, then AA may not be a big factor. At that resolution it isn't for me, but with anything less, you will see more jaggies on the nVidia at comparible frame rates, but since I'm shooting for 1600x1200 in as many games as possible, then the nVidia looks great.

The framerates in UT2004 with the nVidia are insane!