PDA

View Full Version : Nice launch Nvidia and ATi.

odin20
07-20-04, 11:28 AM
I changed my mind 2 weeks ago and decided to get a 6800ultra and cannot even get one.
How sad is that. They are gonna blow it. They have Doom3 coming out which i think is gonna be alot better on the 6800ultra over the x800xt and people can't even get the cards too bad for nvidia i guess they could have really dominated if they could just get the cards out. Of course ati is no better.
I think the next gen will be out 3 months after the first gen lol.
And no i thought about the gt and just can't bring myself to buy one. I watercool and this will be my last card untill i turn my whole rig pci-express so i want the fastest possible. And im aware that(some) gts can overclock as high as ultras but most ultras will overclock much better than gts.
So basically my rant is over.
Im so upset at Nvidia. Damn i wanted one of their cards.

Warden13
07-20-04, 11:32 AM
Well I agree with you but in part, this is a good thing. The competition between these two companies is so tight right now that they are trying to squeeze evry bit of performance out of these cards. If it wasn't for this competition we might not even see the XT or the Ultra cards, or perhaps the GT and Pro would be running at slower speeds and the Ultra and XT would be running at current GT and Pro type speeds.

While I certainly agree that it sucks to have almost no availability of these cards, at least we have two companies doing the best to provide us all with cutting edge toys :)

Warden

mustrum
07-20-04, 11:47 AM
Well I agree with you but in part, this is a good thing. The competition between these two companies is so tight right now that they are trying to squeeze evry bit of performance out of these cards. If it wasn't for this competition we might not even see the XT or the Ultra cards, or perhaps the GT and Pro would be running at slower speeds and the Ultra and XT would be running at current GT and Pro type speeds.

While I certainly agree that it sucks to have almost no availability of these cards, at least we have two companies doing the best to provide us all with cutting edge toys :)

Warden
I agree there. They would let us pay the same price for less performance if they wouldn't have to battle eachother. I am pretty sure the GT would've been much lower clocked or be a 12 pipe card if ATI wouldn't have brought out the XT.
I think ATI surprised nvidia with their x800 performance wich is a good thing.
Now we can buy a extremely well performing 6800 GT for a reasonable price.

weeds
07-20-04, 11:55 AM
Pny is showing Ultra in stock..

http://www.pny.com/products/verto/geForce6/6800ultra.asp

OWA
07-20-04, 12:16 PM
Wow, you're right and man that's tempting. I'm trying to resist since I'd need to upgrade my whole system to see any benefit. Still...

Raptorman
07-20-04, 12:18 PM
Just ordered a PNY 6800 Ultra, and the scheduled ship date is TODAY. Finally, I may get my hands on one.

evilchris
07-20-04, 12:21 PM
I changed my mind 2 weeks ago and decided to get a 6800ultra and cannot even get one.
How sad is that. They are gonna blow it. They have Doom3 coming out which i think is gonna be alot better on the 6800ultra over the x800xt and people can't even get the cards too bad for nvidia i guess they could have really dominated if they could just get the cards out. Of course ati is no better.
I think the next gen will be out 3 months after the first gen lol.
And no i thought about the gt and just can't bring myself to buy one. I watercool and this will be my last card untill i turn my whole rig pci-express so i want the fastest possible. And im aware that(some) gts can overclock as high as ultras but most ultras will overclock much better than gts.
So basically my rant is over.
Im so upset at Nvidia. Damn i wanted one of their cards.
Is there a Fry's of CompUSA near you? Thousands of GT's are in stock at stores, on the shelves waiting to go. If I drove around San Diego right now I could probably find over 300 of them.

Gorion
07-20-04, 12:44 PM
I just ordered the PNY. I havent gotten a ship e-mail yet but my fingers are crossed.

Gorion
07-20-04, 01:15 PM
Scheduled to ship today. I have a call into PNY (had to leave a VM).

odin20
07-20-04, 01:36 PM
omg i just sent in a order too i could kiss you man :)

odin20
07-20-04, 01:49 PM
Just called PNY they said the order should go out today or tommorow yippee!

saturnotaku
07-20-04, 02:47 PM
The Fry's store here had about 12 BFG 6800 GT OC cards on Saturday. I went there this morning and there was 1 left. :eek:

Gaco
07-20-04, 03:00 PM
saturnotaku, what was the price? Because im going to the Pacific Beach area in CA with my dad this october, and I its my impression that everything, including videocards is cheaper in the states, especially with the low currency of the dollar these days :)

MamoVaka
07-20-04, 03:01 PM
PNY is useless, BFG is the only 6800 I want due to the OC.

If you are going to buy these bloody cards, get the FASTEST which is the BFG OC. You people with the PNY orders are making a mistake! When you can get a FASTER CARD for SAME PRICE

Gorion
07-20-04, 03:02 PM

If you are going to buy these bloody cards, get the FASTEST which is the BFG OC. You people with the PNY orders are making a mistake! When you can get a FASTER CARD for SAME PRICE

Sure just show me where I can get a BFG Ultra. Besides who says I can't OC the PNY to the same speed?

MamoVaka
07-20-04, 03:05 PM
Then just wait, if you can't get it dont make the major mistake which would be to just buy a card due to impatience..

I am going to hold off and get the BFG.. if it comes late august and I have to not be able to play DOOM3, screw it..

I will suffer, this is a card I want for a long time.. worth waiting not (waited long enough)

therapture
07-20-04, 03:06 PM

Frankly, all the GT's are reference cards at this moment, and any of them can get a measley 20mhz overclock on the core like BFG does. THEY ALL USE THE EXACT SAME CORES. :rolleyes: In fact, MOST of the GT's will run Ultra speeds using stock cooling with nothing but the CoolBits registry patch. Yes, BFG has a lifetime warranty but how long are you going to keep the card actually? 1-2 years?

Nobody is making a mistake buying PNY, EVGA, BFG, etc. Get the one you can and enjoy it. Once overclocked they are all the same.

Gorion
07-20-04, 03:07 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding why this is a major mistake. They are the same chips, same memory. Who says that the BFG can OC further than any other? can you show me where I can see that this is the case? The only thing I see I'm not getting is a lifetime warranty. But seeing how I barely own cards more than a year I don't see this as a big setback.

MamoVaka
07-20-04, 03:11 PM
The company already overclocks them 25mhz above core standard. Which means they at least are MAKING sure it will overclock for you, you don't get that guarantee with PNY EVGA or anyone else.

I want that guarantee, besides I imagine BFG uses better cooling to achieve even that modest overclock, So the chip will most likely go even higher on that sweet clock.

Gorion
07-20-04, 03:15 PM
The company already overclocks them 25mhz above core standard. Which means they at least are MAKING sure it will overclock for you, you don't get that guarantee with PNY EVGA or anyone else.

I want that guarantee, besides I imagine BFG uses better cooling to achieve even that modest overclock, So the chip will most likely go even higher on that sweet clock.

UMMMM ok :) You are absolutely sure PNY cannot OC to the same speed?

PaiN
07-20-04, 03:16 PM

c'mon...there's really not going to be more the 1-2fps between an Ultra running at 400 and one running at 425....besides if you an OCer the factory clock shouldn't effect the max OC anyway. imo....get what's available its all good ;)

PaiN
07-20-04, 03:19 PM
UMMMM ok :) You are absolutely sure PNY cannot OC to the same speed?
see this is how misinformation gets started.....its possible the PNY Ultra could out max clock the BFG...eack card and system is different, its immpossiable to know until you try.

odin20
07-20-04, 04:02 PM
mamovaka you havent got a clue, i watercool and overclock everything in my system the overclock you are getting from bfg wont even be close to what im gonna get when i volt mod and watercool my pny 6800 ultra, all that little overclock is is marketing for people who dont overclock.

Raptorman
07-20-04, 04:05 PM
I thought the PNY had the same core speed as the BFG??? Oh well, who cares, I can overclock. As for warranty, I could care less. I've voided the warranty with nearly ever piece of hardware I've had.

odin20
07-20-04, 04:23 PM
exactly raptorman.