PDA

View Full Version : 61.76 and FX 5800U Fan

Pages : [1] 2 3

jnd3
07-20-04, 09:23 PM
Has anyone else tried these drivers on a 5800 Ultra? I put them on only to find that the fan cuts out in the middle of a 3D session ... something tells me that's not normal behavior. It's locked up a few times ... don't know whether they're worth keeping. Has anyone seen anything like this? I'd hate to fry the card.

cmor
07-20-04, 09:35 PM
I have a 5900 and I'm not seeing this. The clocks do slow down when not running 3D, but should start back up again. Have you gone back to older drivers to see if the same thing happens? What is your temp like when this happens?

jAkUp
07-20-04, 09:50 PM
Are you running coolbits?

Greg
07-20-04, 11:08 PM
I have been running these drivers on a 5800 non-ultra (@485/970) for quite a while now and havn't experienced any problems. I will try 3dMark2001 which you mentioned in another thread and report back if a problem occurs.

MontoyaSG
07-20-04, 11:23 PM
no such problems here

played F1 Challenge yesterday & it's so much more smoother now

SLippe
07-21-04, 01:04 AM
No problems with any drivers on my 5950U.

ragejg
07-21-04, 01:18 AM
jnd3: when the fan stops, let it stop for a minit, give it some time, and alt-tab back to desktop. Check your temps and see if they're outta line at that point. If so, there is a legitimate problem.

m7-
07-21-04, 03:39 AM
it only happens to me when I ctrl-esc back to windows while in a 3d app, fan stops when it shifts back to 2d. then from there it gets out of synch somehow.

jnd3
07-21-04, 06:42 AM
I hadn't seen this problem in any previous driver sets. I do have coolbits in the registry, but I didn't start trying to overclock when I saw this. And I haven't had a chance to do any serious gaming with it to test it fully. With 3DMark01 the fan stopped in game test 3 and the system locked up hard right before game test 4. This happened multiple times, so I'm guessing that the temps got a little high. I'll go out and verify, though. Thanks for the input!

[Edit: Oh, yeah, and I cleaned out the old drivers before installing and tried to uninstall/reinstall the 61.76 with the same results.]

chowells
07-21-04, 09:45 AM
Exactly the same problem with my 5800 Ultra. I just installed 61.76 and the fan cut out several minutes into Far Cry, and the machine completely locked shortly after. Clearing there is a serious problem in the drivers in that they are not detecting that a 3D session is still running.

I think reverting to some 5x.xx drivers might be the only solution....

jnd3
07-21-04, 10:08 AM
Exactly the same problem with my 5800 Ultra. I just installed 61.76 and the fan cut out several minutes into Far Cry, and the machine completely locked shortly after. Clearing there is a serious problem in the drivers in that they are not detecting that a 3D session is still running.

I think reverting to some 5x.xx drivers might be the only solution....

Hey chowells, what are your system specs? And who's the manufacturer of your card? My specs are in the sig below ... card was made by BFG (courtesty of nVNews and BFG) ... I'll keep these drivers around until I get the chance to do some heavy duty testing on it.

chowells
07-21-04, 11:06 AM
Hey chowells, what are your system specs? And who's the manufacturer of your card? My specs are in the sig below ... card was made by BFG (courtesty of nVNews and BFG) ... I'll keep these drivers around until I get the chance to do some heavy duty testing on it.

Hi jnd3.

Specs are as follows:

* Athlon 2100+ (running at the proper 1733MHz)
* 1GB (2X512) Crucial PC3200 RAM in Dual Channel at 400Mhz
* GeForce 5800Ultra made by Asus (the V9900 Ultra)
* MSI K7N2 (NVidia NForce2)
* Windows XP service Pack 1
* 480W Thermaltake PSU
* SoundBlaster Audigy2

I have also have a massive 12cm fan positioned over the 5800U to keep the RAM heat sink nice and cool and air circulating in the case. I have never seen any evidence that the graphics card is over heating, the temperature monitor under the drivers have always said that it is cool enough.

I've actually just reverted to the 56.72 drivers supplies by Asus and these are actually as bad, if not worse since there is texture corruption and lock ups (in Far Cry), though the fan does remain running through out.

I have been having problems with Call of Duty randomly crashing back to the desktop, which I have suspected it graphics related.

Oh another thing... with the most recent drivers from nvidia.com I was seeing graphics corruption and wrong colours in the later tests in 3DMark2003.

I actually really regret buying the 5800U anyway. I bought it because it was cheap (cos they couldn't sell any at the proper price cos of the stupid vacuum cleaner thing attached to it), and obviously NVidia are not testing their drivers with it as well as they could.

Quite tempted to try and get another card actually and try and flog this on ebay, but I'm not sure if I'd want to trust NVidia again, or get an ATI.

I like your laptop choice anyway... my bloody desktop running XP was totally incapable of playing a DVD yesterday so I had to dig out the mini DVD->VGA convertor to use my beloved 12" iBook with the monitor instead. Stupid Windows.

jnd3
07-21-04, 01:51 PM
chowells: Have you tried the reference (Nvidia's, not Asus's) 56.72 drivers? I've never had good luck with vendor drivers. I didn't have any color problems with any of the driver sets ... have you played around with refresh rates or AGP settings in the BIOS?

I ran 3DMark01 again this morning ... the fan stopped at the beginning of the 2nd Dragothic test ... I let it run through the duration of the test and ESC'd out of it. Temperatures seemed OK, but the fan came back on when it dropped back to the desktop. Ran the benchmark again and the fan stayed on the whole time. And the final score dropped by about 10%. Doh. Gotta try it with some games, though.

rewt
07-21-04, 02:28 PM
If you use my Coolbits 2 there is an option on the overclocking page to "Force Fan On". Perhaps you can give that a try. Coolbits 2 thread should be somewhere at the top of this driver forum. Last I saw it was still a sticky. Good luck! :)

jnd3
07-21-04, 02:46 PM
If you use my Coolbits 2 there is an option on the overclocking page to "Force Fan On". Perhaps you can give that a try. Coolbits 2 thread should be somewhere at the top of this driver forum. Last I saw it was still a sticky. Good luck! :)

Excellent, I'll give that a try later. Thanks for the tip!

[Edit: Of course, that means the fan would be on ALL the time ... the wife might have something to say about that.]

cmor
07-21-04, 04:48 PM
w/out coolbits I was able to reproduce this 1 time. Following this I could not repro. Are you guys seeing this consistanly?

m7-
07-21-04, 05:09 PM
switched back to 56.72 and it went away

jnd3
07-21-04, 05:10 PM
Pretty consistently, yes:

3DMark01: Fan shuts off around game test 2 or 3. System hangs shortly thereafter if I don't ESC out of it. It has done this 5 out of 5 times.

3DMark03: Fan stayed on through the entire series of benchmarks. Only ran it once.

AquaMark3: Fan shut off right before the second-to-last test, but everything completed without a hang. Only ran it once.

I need to get on with a full-on game session and see what it does, but that probably won't happen before tomorrow. I might try reinstalling the drivers without coolbits to see what it does as well.

m7-
07-21-04, 05:59 PM
now that I switched to 56.72 i started getting crashes in world of warcraft every now and then. doh :( atleast the fan works properly

jnd3
07-21-04, 10:11 PM
OK, interesting result here. I uninstalled and reinstalled the 61.76 driver set. The only difference is that this time I did NOT install the coolbits registry entries. Fan stays on throughout all 3D sessions, no problems at all. Hmmm.....

quik_2_win
07-21-04, 10:27 PM
Curious- which "coolbits registry entries" did you have installed when the problem occured?

jnd3
07-22-04, 07:01 AM
Curious- which "coolbits registry entries" did you have installed when the problem occured?

See this thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29541). But the offending culprit is "CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff ... with that entry in, the fan shuts off. With that entry out, fan works as expected.

saturnotaku
07-22-04, 07:08 AM
See this thread (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29541). But the offending culprit is "CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff ... with that entry in, the fan shuts off. With that entry out, fan works as expected.

Try to change the ffffffff part to just 3 (eg "CoolBits"=dword:3) and see if that helps you.

jnd3
07-22-04, 08:44 AM
Try to change the ffffffff part to just 3 (eg "CoolBits"=dword:3) and see if that helps you.

Nope, same behavior ... CoolBits in (regardless of value), fan shuts off. CoolBits out, fan stays on. No biggie for me, as I haven't been doing much OCing on this board. At least I'll be able to stick with the new drivers.

quik_2_win
07-22-04, 06:25 PM
So, are you just pasting those values in notepad, and importing them into your reg? Excuse me for not reading that entire thread, but, THESE: http://www.overclockers.com.au/files/CoolBits.reg values, although a bit dated, have worked very well with my 5800U with every driver from 44.03 to 56.72...maybe worth a try.