PDA

View Full Version : Memory Overclock on BFG 6800U & Rivatuner

quantumreality
07-20-04, 10:34 PM
I've been using Rivatuner to overclock my card and all seemed well. I got my core up to 455 and memory at 1211 before I got the "can't go any farther" message. I read about disabling the test message in the power user section and gave it a try. I kept pushing my memory up to 1350 and when I benched to test for artifacts my score hadn't changed.

It appears that the memory overclock function isn't working. I get the same score in 3dmark03 with 1100, 1200 and 1350 (not possible I believe) memory. My Farcry benches don't change either. Can someone else using Rivatuner check this out for me?

cam9786
07-20-04, 10:52 PM
One tip. Don't use Rivatuner, it has a shoddy test method and isn't that great for OC'ing, but mainly for subsystem changes, such as shader nulling and whatnot. I'd recommend Coolbits, it's test system is far better, and will give you a much better Rock Solid OC. Try Coolbits and see how it all goes.

burningrave101
07-20-04, 11:51 PM
Your not suppost to rely on the overclocking utility to find the best overclock. CoolBits has been detecting some really far out settings for some people.

You need to start at 400/1100 and work your way up slowly in 5-10Mhz increments testing with something intensive like 3dmark03, Far Cry, or the HDR demo.

RivaTuner works just fine and is a favorite for alot of nVidia overclockers. I use ither CoolBits or RivaTuner.

The current nVidia drivers dont seem to want to hold an overclock using CoolBits so i usually set the speeds with RivaTuner which works every time.

Clay
07-21-04, 12:01 AM
I think what cam9786 was getting at wasn't the "Auto Detect" of Coolbits...rather, he was referring to the "Test Changes" feature of Coolbits.

Also, you can keep your settings just fine by making your changes to the 3D overclock settings and then just select the 2D option again in the combo box. Test, apply and the settings should now remain.

burningrave101
07-21-04, 12:16 AM
Also, you can keep your settings just fine by making your changes to the 3D overclock settings and then just select the 2D option again in the combo box. Test, apply and the settings should now remain.

Really? I'll have to try that out :). Thanks!

quantumreality
07-21-04, 05:35 AM
I think what cam9786 was getting at wasn't the "Auto Detect" of Coolbits...rather, he was referring to the "Test Changes" feature of Coolbits.

I think Rivatuner uses Coolbits because when I make a change to the speed and go into the control panel, my change is reflected in Coolbits. What I don't understand is if I disable the test requirement via advance settings in RT I can set my memory to any number and I don't get artifacts and it doesn't change my score. Using Coolbits alone, my max memory is 1211.

Clay - If you get a chance could you bench something at memory 1100 and your max setting and see if there is any difference in score?