PDA

View Full Version : Linksys wireless router/network

Schumi
07-21-04, 05:23 AM
Hello,

This isn't really a problem, more I would like some information and opinions of other forum members.

I just received a new laptop from work and it has a built in wireless card. It seems to have really good power, as I can see 3 other networks in my neighbourhood from inside my house. Yes they are secure, and I can't access them, but that's is not what I want to do.

What I would like to know is...
I currently have a Linksys 4-port router (BEFSR41) but would like to go wireless now for my laptop. I need to keep the non-wireless for 2 other computers that are currently hooked up, so I need both. Would it be better to buy a new wireless router: Linksys Wireless-G Router (WRT54G) or should I just buy an access point and add it to my current router: Linksys Wireless-G Access Point (WAP54G). The access point is only $2 dollars more, and not sure why it is a bit more then the router on it's own as I would think the router would have more internals.

So what are your opinions for expanding my network? Just curious what would have more advantages, or give better performance. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Looking to purchase tonight or tomorrow after work, so the quicker the responses the better.

Thanx again all!!!

AthlonXP1800
07-21-04, 07:01 AM
Go buy Linksys router WRT54G, it has wireless access point built-in just like my Linksys router BEFW11S4, you dont need to buy separate access point to add it to the router that already has it built-in. :)

ricercar
07-22-04, 01:47 PM
I recommend strongly against Linksys wireless products. Their well-deserved reputation for wired-networks is carrying them unfairly into the wireless arena.

A Linksys wireless access point decreased wireless performance (range, stability, throughput) compared to what it replaced in the same location.

Last February, some year-old Asante routers, print servers, and wireless access points were replaced by a brand new Linksys stack for aesthetics/vanity of the boss. Wireless throughput and reliability dropped to dismal levels (11Mbs to <1 Mbs). Full WEP encryption on the Asante access point was faster than a no-security Linksys configuration. Even a Linksys signal booster did not bring that Linksys setup to the previous levels of wireless connection stability, throughput or range. No, I'm not a wireless n00b. Identical configurations, same access point locations, same clients (ASUS, Shuttle, Apple, Linksys), different access points, vastly different wireless performance.

Caveats:
- This is NOT a complaint against Linksys wired products. They rock.
- Linksys wireless G equipment may be improved over my wireless B experience, but Linksys won't get any more of _my_ money.

ynnek
07-22-04, 01:54 PM
you have to update to their latest firmwares to solve some bugs..

but I'm not too impressed by my linksys wireless G router..

I use it only as a wired router now, and in that respect, it works great.

AthlonXP1800
07-22-04, 08:48 PM
So far my Linksys router working wonderful with wired to my computer and wireless to my laptop. :D

Sazar
07-22-04, 08:59 PM
can't vouch for their wireless products either m8...

you can either add a wireless access point and be happy with that or hope that you can get a nice deal on a wireless kit...

I bought a 802.11 B router/g pcmcia card kit for my apartment for a total of $19.99 from amazon after rebates :cool:

the deal expired about a month and a half ago :)

Draxus
07-23-04, 12:34 AM
I can go down 3 stories and outside the building and get internet with my linksys wireless-b router... that's more than far enough for me :)

betterdan
07-23-04, 02:10 AM
When I first set up my home network I bought a wireless Netgear router, a Netgear PCMCIA wireless network card for the laptop and a Linksys PCI wireless network card for the other desktop upstairs. I went with a Linksys as that was the only PCI card I could find at the time and Linksys is a well known name. Well the Linksys card blew ass. It kept dropping off the network and just giving me all kinds of problems. I went and found a Microsoft wireless network card and took the Linksys back. the Microsoft card installed easily and right away gave me excellent signal strength. I don't know if the Netgear router and the Linksys card just didn't get along or what but i will not be buying anymore Linksys wireless products. My Netgear wireless network at home has been great and trouble free ever since.

Darth Flatus
07-26-04, 06:05 AM
I've been using an 802.11b Linksys wireless router for over 2 years and it's worked great. And with the signal booster I get full signal strength all through the house and even on the back porch on the main floor (router is a floor down in basement). :)

netviper13
07-26-04, 12:40 PM
When I first set up my home network I bought a wireless Netgear router, a Netgear PCMCIA wireless network card for the laptop and a Linksys PCI wireless network card for the other desktop upstairs. I went with a Linksys as that was the only PCI card I could find at the time and Linksys is a well known name. Well the Linksys card blew ass. It kept dropping off the network and just giving me all kinds of problems. I went and found a Microsoft wireless network card and took the Linksys back. the Microsoft card installed easily and right away gave me excellent signal strength. I don't know if the Netgear router and the Linksys card just didn't get along or what but i will not be buying anymore Linksys wireless products. My Netgear wireless network at home has been great and trouble free ever since.

Netgear is known for not playing well with other types of hardware, so it was more an issue of compatibility between the router and NIC than anything else.

We are running a Linksys Router, a Linksys Access Point, and a Linksys 10/100 Switch here in our house, and everything is working great. No problems whatsoever.

Githss
07-27-04, 11:46 AM
I recommend strongly against Linksys wireless products. Their well-deserved reputation for wired-networks is carrying them unfairly into the wireless arena.

A Linksys wireless access point decreased wireless performance (range, stability, throughput) compared to what it replaced in the same location.

Have to agree here. I had a wireless router from linksys and it was garbage. I was only about 30 feet away, two floors up in my house and it would always drop out, performance was always bad and it generally just gave me headaches.

Try D-Link.