PDA

View Full Version : [Req.] XFX 6800 Ultra Bios*

Anima86
07-21-04, 08:07 AM
hey, i was wondering if any of you has the xfx ultra bios? I want to do a flash, but prefer the XFX bios, have seen the leadtek floating around though...but still :)

ps. I'm new to the board hi all

saturnotaku
07-21-04, 08:10 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would high recommend against doing a BIOS flash regardless of brand. I did it and it took all of my wits to recover my 6800 GT because the card that was previously stable at Ultra speeds was not when flashed with the BIOS. If you got a good overclock out of your GT, for the love of God, leave your card alone!

Superfly
07-21-04, 08:22 AM
I second that motion - fine advice

leave the GT alone dude.

noko
07-21-04, 08:31 AM
Even though the cards are similar there are too many differences. Two DVI ports vice one on the GT, Different Memory rating thus timings are probably different, multispeed fan and probably other features. Flashing to a an Ultra will probably only cause conflicts and very little gain otherwise, which I think many attested to here with many reverting back to the GT bios, some with some severe problems I might add.

Noxis
07-21-04, 08:33 AM
Here is a 6800.zip pack with the XFX 6800 Ultra rom in and a 400/1100 rom (not XFX), however three things before downloading:

1) The XFX Ultras are 425 / 1200, so make sure your card can do these

2) BACKUP YOUR BIOS FIRST !

3) Dont blame me if anything goes wrong

http://downloads.nbkservers.co.uk/6800.zip

Anima86
07-21-04, 08:47 AM
hmm... after reading the above, i'm in doubt now wether i should do this or not, of course the cards are quitte diffrent, but i've seen/heard from quite a few people that it works, maybe they were bragging about ? maybe not, and then again is it worth the risk? i think not :/

maybe it would be wiser to wait for a GT bios which gives 0.1 volt extra, if it isnt available already?

thanks for the heads up guys :clap:

Anril
07-21-04, 09:36 AM
Make sure you use nvflash -b and not wfflash. For some reason wfflash does not back up the old bios correctly with the 6800GTs. It appears that it has, but if you go to re-flash the card with the backed up bios you will get a checksum error with wfflash and a dead card with nvflash.

Warden13
07-21-04, 10:14 AM
I flashed my GT to an Ultra and while I was able to significantly increase my overclock (went from 370 to 415), I started having some stability issues, even when I dialed the speeds to default. I reflashed it to the original bios and it's been running great ever since.

A lot of reviews that I have seen are showing the Ultra running at lower temps than the GT's, despite the additional voltage and speed. This is probably due to the increased size of the HSF. I am getting a waterblock from Dangerden as soon as they are available and hopefully I can get to Ultra speeds on the standard bios then.

Warden