PDA

View Full Version : 4:3 or Widescreen

nvnews-reader
07-21-04, 01:05 PM
well, what do you think? Assuming the price and screen area are the same, would you rather have a widescreen or a standard 4:3 monitor?

|JuiceZ|
07-21-04, 02:53 PM
no contest, "widda is bedda!" :cool:

DiscipleDOC
07-21-04, 04:02 PM
Yup. I'm going to go and buy a widescreen tv in about a month or so, and use it as a monitor!

nvnews-reader
07-21-04, 04:35 PM
Why don't companies make more widescreen monitors if they are clearly better? :wtf: I think it would be nice to have a WS but only if it was almost as tall as my 19' crt.

Bill The Cat
07-21-04, 05:49 PM
Widescreen gives you less viewing area. Assuming they're the same price, I'd rather go with the 4:3.

And I don't think there's any widescreens out with low response times (12-16 ms) yet, though I could be wrong.

Vagrant Zero
07-22-04, 02:20 AM
Widescreen gives you less viewing area. Assuming they're the same price, I'd rather go with the 4:3.

And I don't think there's any widescreens out with low response times (12-16 ms) yet, though I could be wrong.

You are. HP L2335. 23 inches of widescreen gaming goodness at 16ms.

Of course it costs $1600...bleh.

-=DVS=-
07-22-04, 02:48 AM
I would not want a LCD for gameing , i have one don't like lack of true BLACK color.... in dark games it realy screws things up.... now for movies its different thing.
WideScreen CRT would be fun , then again only hand full of games support WideScreen play.

nvnews-reader
07-22-04, 03:14 AM
It's pretty easy to add widescreen support to a game if monitors existed i'm sure most games would put out patches.

Son Goku
07-22-04, 04:14 AM
Standard. Let me put it this way. I've looked at HDTVs, and the one's I looked at are larger then my current TV. I want the same height top to bottom that I have now :D

Hence with a 32" TV (which I bought back when I was living in the dorms), for a wide screen I wasn't interested in looking at anything smaller then a 42" or larger to replace it with :)

Also, with current screen resolutions, one would no doubt get black bars on the sides as one trys to fit a current screen res to a widescreen monitor. This would effectively give one a smaller viewing surface... I don't want my viewing surface (minus bars) to be smaller then what I'm accustomed to now...hence I'd have to go larger then the 19" I have now to be satisfied.

Finally, before considering one, I'd want to know where are the gfx cards that output this, and hence would make use of it...

|JuiceZ|
07-22-04, 08:23 AM
You are. HP L2335. 23 inches of widescreen gaming goodness at 16ms.

Of course it costs $1600...bleh.

Yea I think that one & Apple's 23" & 30" LCD's are the holy grail right now :cool:

jAkUp
07-22-04, 11:32 AM
Well a few games allow widescreen resolutions, or a widescreen options... Both farcry and UT2004 allow widescreen.

With that said I really don't like LCD's for gaming.. dunno if the 16ms are any better... but the 20+ms LCD's I have played on had too much ghosting

renegade77
07-22-04, 06:50 PM
How do i play ut in widescreen , does the demo support it or just the full version of the game.

evilchris
07-22-04, 11:48 PM
Well a few games allow widescreen resolutions, or a widescreen options... Both farcry and UT2004 allow widescreen.

With that said I really don't like LCD's for gaming.. dunno if the 16ms are any better... but the 20+ms LCD's I have played on had too much ghosting

I still can't stand them. I tried the Dell 2001FP and did not like it for gaming at all. 16ms doesn't seem to be fast enough for my eyes, and the Dell couldn't even approach CRT color reproduction. I think our new NEC CRT's will be awesome! Did you get yours? Still waiting for mine...

Githss
07-27-04, 02:07 PM
Widescreen is nice and all but I've seen some monitors that have trouble with certain movies and it just stretches the picture across the whole screen.

Woodelf
07-27-04, 09:03 PM
Widescreen is nice and all but I've seen some monitors that have trouble with certain movies and it just stretches the picture across the whole screen.

Are they wide screen movies, and are the monitors projection wide screen tv's?.
Some people set the screens on those to automatically expand a 4:3 picture to avoid burn in. On My 60" grand wega, I don't have to worry about burn in, but I'm so used to a 16:9 wide screen that 4:3 just doesn't look right. so I set to auto expand anything 4:3. It's a little wide looking, but I've gotten used to it.