PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hot 5900XT :(

mezkal
07-21-04, 12:33 PM
My Leadtek Winfast A350XT (5900XT) used to idle @ about 37C (always about 5-8 higher than ambient) and would max out at abt 78C - as measured by RivaTuner's Hardware Monitor...

Speeds set by Jimmor's (kindly) modded BIOS settings of my original bios GPU 300/450 MEM 900 with throttle set to 450 on the GPU

My tale of woe begins...

So I ordered and received my Thermaltake Extreme Giant III cooler. I took off my current HSF, very carefully, removed the old thermal transfer sticky stuff with which it was attached. Went through the whole installation procedure and powered on. My GPU skyrocketed by 25-30 degrees C! Idling at 56C!! OK, so I powered off and rechecked everthing, tightened a few screws that held the front heat sink to the heat block (that touches the GPU) and....NO CHANGE!

Infact, the card wouldn't even complete the UT2K4 intro skyrocketing to over 110C within 10 secs!!!

So I removed the Giant III (too goddam loud anyway - with just the Reverflow -standard mounted in the front Heatsink- fan running), cleaned my GPU surface, lapped the cleaned original heatsink and GPU back with a mix of 80 and 120 GSM sand paper and put it all back together, using a little of the Thermal Grease supplied with the Giant III. Better, but still WAY TOO HOT. It now idles @ 55C! and skyrockets to 100C.

I thought I wasn't getting good enough contact with the GPU to Heatsink so used two of the bolt and nut pairs from the Giant III in place of the spring loaded plastic clips that came with the original fan. Even after warping the card slightly (yeah I know - at this stage was willing to try anything for a bit - its still got warranty and I'm a dealer anyway) the GPU is still 55C and my heatsink is COLD

Any ideas?

zer0xp
07-21-04, 01:18 PM
Well if your heatsink is cold, i guess we can assume that it's not making proper contact with the gpu. Try checking the "flatness" of the gpu by using a ruler straight accross it, and shining light at hte back of the ruler. If you see light under the ruler, then it's not straight. The only thing i can think of is that the old heatsink paste was filling the gap properly, now the new paste isnt.

cstring
07-21-04, 02:02 PM
watch out, mine burnt up, oc'ing.
using my bfg 5900xt oc @ 450/850.
and I thought the leadtek was a better buy.

jimmor
07-21-04, 04:00 PM
My Leadtek Winfast A350XT (5900XT) used to idle @ about 37C (always about 5-8 higher than ambient) and would max out at abt 78C - as measured by RivaTuner's Hardware Monitor...

Speeds set by Jimmor's (kindly) modded BIOS settings of my original bios GPU 300/450 MEM 900 with throttle set to 450 on the GPU

My tale of woe begins...

So I ordered and received my Thermaltake Extreme Giant III cooler. I took off my current HSF, very carefully, removed the old thermal transfer sticky stuff with which it was attached. Went through the whole installation procedure and powered on. My GPU skyrocketed by 25-30 degrees C! Idling at 56C!! OK, so I powered off and rechecked everthing, tightened a few screws that held the front heat sink to the heat block (that touches the GPU) and....NO CHANGE!

Infact, the card wouldn't even complete the UT2K4 intro skyrocketing to over 110C within 10 secs!!!

So I removed the Giant III (too goddam loud anyway - with just the Reverflow -standard mounted in the front Heatsink- fan running), cleaned my GPU surface, lapped the cleaned original heatsink and GPU back with a mix of 80 and 120 GSM sand paper and put it all back together, using a little of the Thermal Grease supplied with the Giant III. Better, but still WAY TOO HOT. It now idles @ 55C! and skyrockets to 100C.

I thought I wasn't getting good enough contact with the GPU to Heatsink so used two of the bolt and nut pairs from the Giant III in place of the spring loaded plastic clips that came with the original fan. Even after warping the card slightly (yeah I know - at this stage was willing to try anything for a bit - its still got warranty and I'm a dealer anyway) the GPU is still 55C and my heatsink is COLD

Any ideas?

Maybe the thermal grease supplied with the Giant III is rubbish ?

And even worse, the GPU is actually covered by a heatspreader, which you may have pulled up of the GPU chip when you pulled off "old thermal transfer sticky stuff". Checking the GPU heatspreader for flatness may help to prove this.

Also, try and fix a CPU heatsink/fan assembly to gpu as it will be very flat no matter what pressure is applied, so will make good contact. And use something like AS3 or AS5 for thermal interface between chip and heatsink.

mezkal
07-22-04, 12:53 AM
Maybe the thermal grease supplied with the Giant III is rubbish ?

And even worse, the GPU is actually covered by a heatspreader, which you may have pulled up of the GPU chip when you pulled off "old thermal transfer sticky stuff". Checking the GPU heatspreader for flatness may help to prove this.

Also, try and fix a CPU heatsink/fan assembly to gpu as it will be very flat no matter what pressure is applied, so will make good contact. And use something like AS3 or AS5 for thermal interface between chip and heatsink.

By Heatspreader do u mean the metal plate that bore the (now lapped off) "Geforce FX 5900XT" text? If so I didn't remove it no.

jimmor
07-22-04, 02:52 AM
By Heatspreader do u mean the metal plate that bore the (now lapped off) "Geforce FX 5900XT" text? If so I didn't remove it no.

I wasn't suggesting you removed it, only that you may have partly raised it off the surface of the gpu chip. The heatspreader is not attached to the gpu chip, only pressing onto it with presumanly some thermal grease in between.

If your gpu temps are much higher since you refitted the heatsinking, then only reason can be poor contact between it and gpu surface. All i'm saying is that the heatspreader could be part of problem ?

however did you try fitting a good solid cpu type heatsink to see if it helped. because if it does, then only means your normal heatsink is not pressing flat enough onto gpu chip ?

mezkal
07-22-04, 03:29 AM
Oh cool. Thanks for that. I'll shutdown now and have a quick looksee :)

mezkal
07-22-04, 06:03 AM
I wasn't suggesting you removed it, only that you may have partly raised it off the surface of the gpu chip. The heatspreader is not attached to the gpu chip, only pressing onto it with presumanly some thermal grease in between.

If your gpu temps are much higher since you refitted the heatsinking, then only reason can be poor contact between it and gpu surface. All i'm saying is that the heatspreader could be part of problem ?

however did you try fitting a good solid cpu type heatsink to see if it helped. because if it does, then only means your normal heatsink is not pressing flat enough onto gpu chip ?

Hey Jim :) I was thinking the same thing re : CPU HSF. Thing is I'm not quite sure how I'm going to attach it as the one's I have don't have 4 screw points (like my card's holes, well it has two others which its current HSF uses which could also explain the lack of contact) just the standard CLIP.