PDA

View Full Version : Dell UltraSharp 2001FP On Sale! ($799)

|JuiceZ|
07-21-04, 10:29 PM
Not sure how long this will last cause this is the lowest I've seen. Its $199.99 off! If you've been putting of getting this awesome gaming LCD, this may be your time :cool:

Dell Website (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-1578&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=4009&page=external)

saturnotaku
07-21-04, 11:10 PM
I'd hold off on getting one those. Seems like a lot of folks are having trouble with this specific monitor and their video cards.

Sazar
07-21-04, 11:29 PM
I can get an additional 10-15% off of that price juice :D

but am waiting for enough to go dual display...

am just gonna do a ginormous upgrade sometime next year when the 12ms 19" flats become more common..

monkeydust
07-22-04, 12:05 AM
I'd hold off on getting one those. Seems like a lot of folks are having trouble with this specific monitor and their video cards.
The only problem that I heard is it going into sleep mode sometimes on ATI cards which is fixed by checking an option in the display properties (had this problem myself and this fixed it).

Vagrant Zero
07-22-04, 01:18 AM
Hm? I've got a 2001FP and a 6800GT and so far...zip problems.

|JuiceZ|
07-22-04, 07:18 AM
So no "screen door" effect huh Siskods9? Some report it, others say its really shouldn't bother most. Only other con I've seen about the monitor is the black light may not be completely uniform. Glad to yer yours looks good so far. Report back when you've had a chance to test it at home ;)

I can get an additional 10-15% off of that price juice :D

So I take it thats through the company you work for? We get an additional 10% discount on some DELL products but not their LCDs.

Sazar
07-22-04, 11:29 AM
So I take it thats through the company you work for? We get an additional 10% discount on some DELL products but not their LCDs.

my significant other and my brother both work @ dell HQ/round rock

Riptide
07-22-04, 11:31 AM
I can see screen door on mine, and my friend's 2001FP. You get used to it, but it is a bit annoying @ first.

Sazar
07-22-04, 11:43 AM
whats a "screen door"

need explictly erotic details please... :drooling:

Riptide
07-22-04, 11:54 AM
Ever seen the space between the pixels in an LCD projector's display?
http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/video/screendoor.htm

Check that out.

Savage101
07-23-04, 07:37 AM
This is the best monitor I have ever used. Anyone buying it will not be dissapointed;)

stncttr908
07-23-04, 12:14 PM
If I had a job that thing would be on my desk in an instant.

PeggyG
07-26-04, 04:20 PM
I've had the 2001FP for three months now. GREAT monitor except for one itty bitty thing. Using the DVI connection, you can't see the boot-up process. The monitor stays blank until windows starts to load...you get the XP screen...and then your desktop. Not really a problem until you want to get into bios, and then you have to plug in the analog connection and reboot in order to see and get into bios. Dell blames Nvidia drivers. Anyone with an Nvidia card able to use DVI and see bootup? Anyone know how to contact Nvidia about it?

But it's a great monitor. Screen door effect really a nonissue. A lot of folks at the Dell forum have had problems, but a lot (not all, but a lot) have to do with also having a Dell computer and whatever inherent problems there are in having, say, a hobbled/OEM video card. Dell has a 30-day no questions asked return policy (although you probably end up having to pay shipping).

Riptide
07-26-04, 04:43 PM
Just an idea... But you might try and put another video card in there to see if the behavior continues. There's no way drivers can come into play when you can't even see the BIOS screen.

I'd try another video card and see if the problem disappears. If so, then you know what the issue was. If not, then it's that display.

FlashGordon
07-26-04, 04:56 PM
I've had the 2001FP for three months now. GREAT monitor except for one itty bitty thing. Using the DVI connection, you can't see the boot-up process. The monitor stays blank until windows starts to load...you get the XP screen...and then your desktop. Not really a problem until you want to get into bios, and then you have to plug in the analog connection and reboot in order to see and get into bios. Dell blames Nvidia drivers. Anyone with an Nvidia card able to use DVI and see bootup? Anyone know how to contact Nvidia about it?

I occasionally get the same situation with my Dell 1504FP using the DVI connection. System would boot and the monitor doen't come on 'til the windows load screen, but doesn't occur that often. However you don't have to switch to the analog connection to enter setup. Just hit your enter setup key at the appropiate time, and you should enter the bios menu. After awhile you get the feel of when you should hit the key, regardless of whats on the screen, or should I say whats not on the screen.
I'm not sure if its a drive issue or not, but I can tell you its alot better than using the ATI DVI connection. I originally had a 9600 Pro, and it was much worse, especially with the new Cat drivers. If you go the forum site at www.rage3d.com and look up dvi+lcd+9600, you'll find a huge thread about this issue.

PeggyG
07-26-04, 05:30 PM
Flash, thank you so much for your tip. I just tried it and you're exactly right. I had no idea I could "blindly" get into bios that way. It worked perfectly. I had indeed been swapping cables when I had to change something in bios. Now I can recommend the monitor ever so much more highly.

Also, original poster and/or anyone else interested in purchasing the monitor...make sure you register with Dell. They eventually send you a coupon via email for 10% or 15% (forget which) off your next purchase. Hold onto that. Then check twice weekly at the Dell Home store and Dell small business store for the 2001FP (the price usually flip flops between the two stores, with each one taking turns having the lower price). Also, be sure to always check on Mondays. Oftentimes, they have a one-day nonadvertised lower price on the monitor then (these were all things I was watching before I bought mine). Combine the lowest price with your coupon and you've got a better deal. And if you belong to EBATES (which I do), you'll also get 2% back.

Riptide
07-26-04, 05:39 PM
Here's just something to try... I had similar problems with my 9700Pro. When the screen goes black on you, perhaps during POST, try to switch to the Analog or S-Video input and then cycle it back over to the DVI input. Often times that will "snap" it out of it and it will display the screen again. So if you go into the BIOS and you have a black screen try that: cycle the inputs and see if it comes out of it.

Githss
07-27-04, 11:58 AM
OMFG!!! If it is really that good, I might just be persuaded to purchase that one and abandon my crt obsession. Good find, thanks.