PDA

View Full Version : Is Battlefield Vietnam worth buying?

aAv7
07-21-04, 11:49 PM
I heard it was kinda buggy when it first arrived...have the bugs been worked out? More importantly ...is it fun? Thinking about buying it to give me something to help pass time before Doom 3..... :drooling: It's one of those games I had an eye on everytime I went to the store...but always left with something else.

Raptorman
07-21-04, 11:56 PM
I enjoyed Battlefield Vietnam. I still play it occassionally. Though I like Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising a lot more.

LiquidX
07-22-04, 12:03 AM
To me its a great game even though some say they have had trouble with it, none at all for me. Its really cool, the atmosphere especially is unreal with the music and chatter. Its great pulling up in a tank, napalming a spawn with a Mig or circleing it with a huey gunship and blasting away all while "get ready" is playing on the radio. It not as buggy as some claim.

WeReWoLf
07-22-04, 12:33 AM
I quite like it myself. It's also a good way to test your computer if you want to run it to about max temps. I don't know why it does it, but vietnam maxes out ur temps and stays there. But it maxes it out to it's "sweet spot" so to speak. with vietnam you often get optimal performance because of "optimal" temps.

CaptNKILL
07-22-04, 02:06 AM
The game is fun to a certain extent but as with the original BF1942, its extremely frustrating. I dont know what it is about the game balancing, or maybe the players, but BF1942 and BFV are extremely frustrating to me, yet BF1942 DC is the best multiplayer game ive ever played. Its a shame I dont have my BF1942 CD, ive really been wanting to play DC.

BTW, Vietnam also doesnt run as well as id hoped. Even on my 6800 GT the low framerates and mouse lag seem to kick in at the worst possible time.

One more thing, the sound is bad. The sound engine is one of the worst ive seen. I dont know what they changed, but its HORRIBLE. The one in 1942 worked perfect in hardware 3d mode on my Soundstorm, but in this game, nothing sounds right. Gunfire sounds are silent at a range of 20 feet. And blaring radios can be heard from jets... OVER THE ENGINES. And some tank fireing sounds must have accidentally been sampled in stereo because no matter where they are they come out of my center speaker, rather than from the direction of the tank.

I think the game will be 10x better if they can improve frame rates and replace the entire sound engine with the one from BF1942.

Alex T.
07-22-04, 03:41 AM
Joint Ops :)

DaveW
07-22-04, 12:35 PM
I brought it, shelved it when I saw how laggy it was, and haven't played it since (even though most lag issues have been patched). Get UT2004 instead.

Shaitan
07-22-04, 12:41 PM
I`d hold out for Men Of Valor if ya want a nicer engined Vietnam game. Joint Ops had promise, but IMHO lacks that vintage Nova mil combat FEEL that DF 1 and DF 2 delivered. If J-Ops can`t be modded a tad, I am gonna shelf it. I didn`t wait all this time since DF 2 for UT gameplay modes, and BHDs achey quakey weapons feel. lol

On the plus side tho, the game runs awesome for me on all highest settings at 1024x768x32, Normal Shadows, Trilinear On. And I only play the 100/150 player servers. Visuallly and netcodewise compared to Novas earlier offerings, Joint Ops delivers.

Slyder
07-22-04, 12:49 PM
Afraid I wouldnt waste my money on any of above. If your looking for a war game, then hold out for Call of Duty : United Offensive (http://www.callofduty.com/)

You can play Doom 3 while your waiting for a decent title to come out ;)

Raptorman
07-22-04, 01:03 PM
I`d hold out for Men Of Valor if ya want a nicer engined Vietnam game. Joint Ops had promise, but IMHO lacks that vintage Nova mil combat FEEL that DF 1 and DF 2 delivered. If J-Ops can`t be modded a tad, I am gonna shelf it. I didn`t wait all this time since DF 2 for UT gameplay modes, and BHDs achey quakey weapons feel. lol

On the plus side tho, the game runs awesome for me on all highest settings at 1024x768x32, Normal Shadows, Trilinear On. And I only play the 100/150 player servers. Visuallly and netcodewise compared to Novas earlier offerings, Joint Ops delivers.

Unfortunately I don't think it will get better. All the (newb) 's keep whining to Nova about everything.

betterdan
07-22-04, 01:06 PM
I haven't played this in quite a while due to it being kinda choppy with my 9700 Pro. The performance issues have completely disappeared since I downloaded the latest patch and installed a 6800 GT. I don't know which it was that fixed it but damn it runs nice now with the settings maxed @ 1280x960 (no aa or af). Before I couldn't turn 3d sound on or it would sound terrible and slow down the game even further but now I play with eax3 enabled. Fun times :)

revbatboy
07-22-04, 01:25 PM
Vietnam is cool but I got bored of it really quick. Still playing UT2004 though.

aAv7
07-22-04, 02:56 PM
well thanks for the responses....I already own ut2k4 and call of duty...to those who suggested them. =) I still play ut2k4 pretty frequently...just sux how the deathmatch and ctf servers are so empty now.....everyone plays onslaught...which is fun...but I like variety. =) Think i'll give this game a shot. I also have my eye on the expansion to call of duty. =) Thanks for the help guys!

Cr0n0
07-28-04, 08:20 PM
Good to hear that you will give it a shot :)
If you ore anyone else here is from europe look out for me and the other PvP players :)