PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry engine would be good for Elder Scrolls 4

Arioch
07-22-04, 04:23 AM
I don't know what the current info is about the sequel to Morrowind but I think the Far Cry engine would be an excellent base for the next Elder Scrolls game. The engine would shine in the outdoor areas with its ability to render large areas without constantly having to access the hard drive and its long draw distance. The indoors section would also work well for dungeons and houses with its ability to render realistic interiors.

On a side note, I am sure Doom 3 will show up in the next round of WWII games but I think that engine would be sweet for a first person RPG dungeon crawl like an Ultima Underworld sequel (a fantasy I know!) or something similar to Arx Fatalis.

I can dream can't I?

hazindu
07-22-04, 08:19 AM
sounds better than letting them build their own engine. Morrowind has been out for years and they still haven't fixed most of the bugs.

Blacklash
07-22-04, 10:27 AM
I'd agree Arioch>

Edge
07-22-04, 02:44 PM
The problem with the Farcry engine is that it's a RAM monster. It may not have to load the large areas while you play, but it also uses up about 6 times as much RAM as Morrowind did (and Morrowind was able to have a single huge and nearly seamless world, too). We'll have to see what they do with the Morrowind engine, for it's time it did have some very impressive capabilities (there were what, maybe 2 other games that used pixel shaders back then?), I'd like to see how it could be upgraded. Oh, and bugs don't have anything to do with the engine itself, that's in the game design (unless it's things like graphic defects or falling through the world).

msxyz
07-22-04, 04:24 PM
ANY game engine would be better than Netimmerse... The PC port runs totally on the CPU. :fu: Talking about raw polygon processing power, the Unreal Engine 2.0 is still one of the most efficeint without being too much resource cosuming (ad it is very scalable) Seeing how it was adapted to Lineage II and to (now defunct) Ultima Odyssey, one wonder what would have been Morriwnd running on it.

burningrave101
07-22-04, 11:05 PM
I believe Bethesda may be using the Fallout 3 engine for TES4 since they are developing both at the same time.

I'm really looking forward to TES4. Morrowind is about the only game i play and the Modding community is one of the best i've ever seen online. It absolutely ROCKS!!

I love working on plugins for Morrowind. Plugins gets released by the dozens every day. And really good ones at that. Pretty much everything in Morrowind has been retexured and remodeled by people on the forums.

Morrowind is by far the greatest single player RPG out there. :super:

Rytr
07-22-04, 11:11 PM
I believe Bethesda may be using the Fallout 3 engine for TES4 since they are developing both at the same time.

I'm really looking forward to TES4. Morrowind is about the only game i play and the Modding community is one of the best i've ever seen online. It absolutely ROCKS!!

I love working on plugins for Morrowind. Plugins gets released by the dozens every day. And really good ones at that. Pretty much everything in Morrowind has been retexured and remodeled by people on the forums.

Morrowind is by far the greatest single player RPG out there. :super:

MW got me hooked on RPG's. I'm sure the next engine will be better if not awesome.