PDA

View Full Version : Waiting to play Doom 3 until you get your 6800?

Arioch
07-22-04, 03:51 PM
How many people here with 6800 cards on order are going to wait to fire up Doom 3 for the first time until they get their new 6800 card in their machine?

I am just curious. Personally I am waiting for my Gainward 6800 Ultra GS but since I currently have a X800XT I will probably try it out on that card unless by some miracle my card arrives before August the 4th.

P.S. - Please no "I already got my card" posts please!

Dolphiend
07-22-04, 03:56 PM
If for some reason PNY hasn't managed to deliver my 6800U by the day of the game's release, I'm going to hold off on playing it until I have said card up and running in my box. I really need to be able to play this game at 1600x1200 in order for it to not look completely asstastic on my flat panel (it's a 20.1" Viewsonic with a native res. of 1600x1200).

LiquidX
07-22-04, 03:58 PM
Same here, sold my Ultra a while back for cash and in anticipation of these new cards. I havent even touched Far Cry yet and it will be the same for DOOM3 unless I get it by then. I wanna play them in all there glory. :)

Nv40
07-22-04, 04:19 PM
How many people here with 6800 cards on order are going to wait to fire up Doom 3 for the first time until they get their new 6800 card in their machine?

I am just curious. Personally I am waiting for my Gainward 6800 Ultra GS but since I currently have a X800XT I will probably try it out on that card unless by some miracle my card arrives before August the 4th.

P.S. - Please no "I already got my card" posts please!

well , you dont need to change your card just for Doom3.. XTpe will play it just fine.. as good if not very close to the Gt's.. however for other games that will support FPblending/filtering out of the box and shaderModel3 as a bonus. most likely you will get more of your money in the long run by buying a video card with more features ,plus solid OpenGl performance in old and new games which doesnt hurt either. :)

if you still change your card ,and have the money ,get the XFX 6800ultras.. or BFG 6800 ultras OC.. they usually overclock to 470-475mhz. otherwise Gt's are also a good choice.. most of them overclock very easily with stock cooling a bit more that Ultra speeds.
with the first few test i was able to get it running my PNY at 415/1000 in a machine with poor cooling.

nVidi0t
07-22-04, 04:19 PM
I'm holding out until the 6800 GT is available for $399. Anyone know where I can get one for anything close to that? PM me if you have any info.

Nv40
07-22-04, 04:26 PM
I'm holding out until the 6800 GT is available for $399. Anyone know where I can get one for anything close to that? PM me if you have any info.

Compusa.com.. have in stock right now all GT's at that price.. :)
maybe you mean $299 .. :)

if you dont have enough cash ,and dont mind to play at 1024x768 max AA/AF with all settings in high.. or higher resolutions with lower AA/AF settings then the vanilla 6800 will do the Job in the latest Dx9/openGL games..

Son Goku
07-22-04, 04:28 PM
I haven't bought many games recently, and tbh given my computer desk broke on moving...playing on floor isn't exactly easy or fun. My elbows just get to hurt a bit using my comp now :(

That said, I might pick this game up when it comes out. I don't figure it will play stellar though

- Athlon XP 1900+
- 512 MB Corsair XMS 2400 CAS 2.0
- Visiontek Radeon 9600
- nForce 1 for sound

Hopefully it will play at 1024x768, though seeing some of the benchies that are out there, this isn't necessarily a given. When I get money together, will be upgrading, but this will take a little while...

/waits and sees

skulls_skulls
07-22-04, 04:28 PM
hmmmm...... yeah!! im waiting for my GW 2600/extreme(450/1200+) to play doom3 for sure, my retailer told me that i will have it next week(i wont believe it till its in my rig hehe) so i think both doom3 and ultra will be at home near the same days :nanahump: :nanahump:

edit: more than 2 months of this GW preordered and a long wait that seems without an end..... :lame:

Arioch
07-22-04, 04:30 PM
well , you dont need to change your card just for Doom3.. XTpe will play it just fine.. as good if not very close to the Gt's.. however for other games that will support FPblending/filtering out of the box and shaderModel3 as a bonus. most likely you will get more of your money by buying a video card with more features ,plus solid OpenGl performance in old and new games which doesnt hurt either. :)

if you still change your card ,and have the money ,get the XFX 6800ultras.. or BFG 6800 ultras OC.. they usually overclock to 470-475mhz. otherwise Gt's are also a good choice.. most of them overclock very easily with stock cooling a bit more that Ultra speeds.
with the first few test i was able to get it running my PNY at 415/1000 in a machine with poor cooling.

Hehe - no I didn't want to get a 6800 Ultra just for this game. A few months ago I got a new PC and wanted a 6800 Ultra to begin with. I was real lucky to get a hold of the X800XT card until I can get a 6800 Ultra. They both play games well at high resolution settings but I want to get into 3D gaming again for one thing and ATI doesn't support that and I also want some SM3.0 goodness since it may add some more eye candy into games. I am sure I can get most of my money back on my X800XT assuming I get my 6800 Ultra sometime in the next few weeks.

XP_GUN
07-22-04, 04:32 PM
I might make it with the money in time I hope if not ill go for my GT first then doom3 first thats if I find it in stock at frys or something that day then Its Doom3. :beer3:

SigmaOrionis
07-23-04, 01:48 AM
If my preorder for my 6800GT isnt filled by the time that Doom3 comes out I'll be playing on my 9500 Pro.

Sometimes its cool to get crushed a little by a game it just makes you appreciate your new hardware more.

nVidi0t
07-23-04, 03:03 AM
Compusa.com.. have in stock right now all GT's at that price.. :)
maybe you mean $299 .. :)

if you dont have enough cash ,and dont mind to play at 1024x768 max AA/AF with all settings in high.. or higher resolutions with lower AA/AF settings then the vanilla 6800 will do the Job in the latest Dx9/openGL games..

Well, most online stores are charging slightly more than the listed $399 price tag for GT's. I'll check it out at compusa.