PDA

View Full Version : Farcry 1.2 patch is not 1.3 patch :)

Pankeleonn
07-22-04, 10:37 PM
I am not seeing what i saw in the videos during the 6800 ultra press release and the e3 video of farcry using SM 3.0.

Where are the rocks from the video? I see NO DIFFERENCE once so ever with this patch.

Yes i have dx9c. Yes i enabled sm3.0 in my drivers and yes i enabled the 3.0 path on the 1.2 patch.

So whats the deal? When do i get to see SM 3.0 effects??!?!

Omega53
07-22-04, 10:39 PM
Not till the 1.3 patch which probably wont be out till the end of the year or early next year...

Draconis
07-22-04, 10:41 PM
yea what ^ he said

Pankeleonn
07-22-04, 10:49 PM
Ah so they were showing patch 1.3 at e3 then? Why did they make it so confusing then? Everyone was saying that was patch 1.2

XP_GUN
07-22-04, 10:52 PM
Yeah I thought so too whats the deal?

Clay
07-22-04, 10:52 PM
Ah so they were showing patch 1.3 at e3 then? Why did they make it so confusing then? Everyone was saying that was patch 1.2
A lot has changed since E3 and I don't recall them ever making this exact statement (not that they didn't, I just don't recall). For the past few months the general consensus has been that 1.2 would bring SM3.0 support which would provide performance gains while the 1.3 patch will bring the actualy eye candy (HDR, displacement mapping, etc).

We should ask jAkUp, he shot the shaky cam vid IIRC. :)

jAkUp
07-22-04, 11:01 PM
lol beats me :) All I saw at e3 was displacement mapping goodness

Clay
07-22-04, 11:04 PM
Oh well, thanks for chiming in jAkUp, care to share link to that video clip again for old time sake? :)

-=DVS=-
07-22-04, 11:06 PM
Did you realy think small patch like that will suddenly change the way game looks ? :rofl what was at E3 was just PR stunt , real eye candy will be from more like free expansion to game , will be prolly 100-200 megs in size if not bigger :o Far Cry is not small game after all.

jAkUp
07-22-04, 11:07 PM
You betcha!

http://www.pcextreme.net/media/farcryps3shortsmall.zip

;)

Clay
07-22-04, 11:10 PM
Did you realy think small patch like that will suddenly change the way game looks ? :rofl what was at E3 was just PR stunt , real eye candy will be from more like free expansion to game , will be prolly 100-200 megs in size if not bigger :o Far Cry is not small game after all.
Are you drinking? :D I mean sure, they may very well release the 1.3 as part of an "expansion pack now with improved graphics!!!"...wouldn't be a bad marketing move...but it's hardly a PR stunt.

They implemented the SM3.0 visual changes within three weeks initially. Now it's all testing and polish.

Mr. Hunt
07-22-04, 11:35 PM
Actually it was discovered over on the FarCry modding forums displacement mapping has been in the game. You just have to do the textures yourself sadly :\. They have a map called testoffset somewhere that shows some of it in action... it looks quite good.

Clay
07-22-04, 11:44 PM
Actually it was discovered over on the FarCry modding forums displacement mapping has been in the game. You just have to do the textures yourself sadly :\. They have a map called testoffset somewhere that shows some of it in action... it looks quite good.Right but this is far from "official" or readily usable. :)

-=DVS=-
07-22-04, 11:49 PM
Are you drinking? :D I mean sure, they may very well release the 1.3 as part of an "expansion pack now with improved graphics!!!"...wouldn't be a bad marketing move...but it's hardly a PR stunt.

They implemented the SM3.0 visual changes within three weeks initially. Now it's all testing and polish.

I like my GT to , but saying its just a patch and minor testing and polishing is silly , how long its been since E3 ? they demoed one small area with Displacement Mapping , by the time they release it , its gonna be big will look cool , and will feel more like expansion not a patch , patch is something you fix and fit in few megs ;) , they gotta rework add lotsa stuff in game will probably come out in next few month at best.
They made 1.2 optimizations in 3 weeks prolly , even then it took loooong time to get it (mag)

Son Goku
07-22-04, 11:59 PM
Correct me if I"m wrong, but to use SM 3.0, doesn't one need Direct X 9.0c? Given that Service Pack 2 (which currently contains it) is only in release candidate status, perhaps they're waiting on Microsoft?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx?url=/windows/directx/downloads/

The above page only has DX 9.0b...

-=DVS=-
07-23-04, 12:06 AM
SM3 for FarCry also needs DX9.0c , but they still released 1.2 patch :bleh: , makes me wonder why MS takeing so long to release offcial DX 9.0c , like we need SP2 so badly :rolleyes2:

cam9786
07-23-04, 12:18 AM
Heres the beautiful offset map. http://farcry.filefront.com/file/Far_Cry_Polybump_Offset_Mapping_Example;26574#Down load

Pankeleonn
07-23-04, 12:49 AM
nothing to see here

EDIT:

Mr. Hunt
07-23-04, 12:56 AM
Yeah.... thats it. I wish I didn't suck and I could redo some of the textures to use it... but unfortunately I suck :(.

Blacklash
07-23-04, 01:34 AM
I actually removed 1.2 and went back to using the Tommti d3d wrapper to make the game use the 'r300' path. I have the 32 version. Removing the wrapper and installing patch 1.2 DESTROYED softshadows for me. They became inky and jagged with no variation in between. If you have seen the wide variety of shadow intensity on your weapon while under the partial shading of a tree you will know what I mean. That's what I had with the 32 d3d wrapper.

I had forgot that even when HDR hits in Far Cry in full, it will not work properly with AA. Anyway I could not abide those jagged ink dark shadows that had no shifts in intensity.

Proper partial 'grey' shadows with the d3d wrapper:

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/4569/FarCry0004a.jpg

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/4967/FarCry0001a.jpg

They can keep the 4FPS

Edge
07-23-04, 01:53 AM
The 1.3 patch adds SM3.0 functionality (all shaders run on sm3.0 on the 6800 series using the 1.2 patch afaik), however it doesn't alter any levels to actually take advantage of the new features SM3.0 offers. The version shown at E3 was running on the equivalent of the 1.2 patch, but using modified levels that allowed for effects like displacement mapping. Supposedly the 1.3 patch will actually modify levels/surfaces to use the new SM3.0 effects, and that's when there will actually be a visual difference. It's just that the current SM3.0 implimentation only offers performance increases, but it IS running under SM3.0.

Raptorman
07-23-04, 09:45 AM
Correct me if I"m wrong, but to use SM 3.0, doesn't one need Direct X 9.0c? Given that Service Pack 2 (which currently contains it) is only in release candidate status, perhaps they're waiting on Microsoft?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx?url=/windows/directx/downloads/

The above page only has DX 9.0b...

You can still download DX9.0c. There is a link on the nVIDIA Graphics Card forums for it.