PDA

View Full Version : PoV GF6800 Ultra and 61.76

Pages : [1] 2

CrimsonLoneWolf
07-23-04, 05:39 AM
Just installed the card after having removed all software from the previos gfx i had been using. First drivers i installed was the newly released 61.76 from nvid's own site. After installing the drivers, NO SETTINGS were altered, ie no overclocking and nothing else was changed from the default settings..

General Issues
Cooler powers up when booting, then slowing down once win xp starts to load. When playing 3D games, ie farcry, thief 3, etc, the cooler never spins up enough for me to actually notice it. Not sure if it actually does spin up at all.

3DMark 2003
The 61.76 drivers makes certain tests stop responding either for 10-30 seconds, OR it makes the computer reboot, or freeze. Tests i've noticed this happens with is the Game Test 2, 3 and 4. Game Test 1 works perfectly. Maybe due to that the other 3 tests use a lot of pixel/vertexshading..

FarCry
The 61.76 drivers makes the game stop for 10-20 seconds after loading a map. When the pauses are gone, i can play normally again.

I tried installing the 61.21 drivers that came with the card, a Point of View GF 6800 Ultra, and everything works again. I just wish i could figure out a way to get the newest drivers working with this card? Any help would be appreciated.

-----
PoV GF 6800 Ultra
P4C800 Deluxe
Intel Pentium 4 2.8 mhz, 800 FSB
2*512 DDR 400 Kingston HyperX
SB Audigy 2
2*WD Raptor

saturnotaku
07-23-04, 06:48 AM
If your system ain't broke with the old drivers, don't fix it. Plain and simple. Most every driver set on my 6800 GT after 61.45 has given me some type of issue. It's fun to experiment with new sets, but I've been invariably coming back to the 61.45s.

Templar
07-23-04, 08:34 AM
are you OCing anything.. Go stock while troubleshooting.

Simon

CrimsonLoneWolf
07-23-04, 12:27 PM
Yeah, i've tried with default settings in the nvidia display settings, and i've tried with downclocking or manually clocking the card. With and without coolbits. Doesnt change anything, and its perfectly and totally stable at the moment, with the 61.21 drivers i'm using. So it must be a driver problem with the new drivers from nvid..

Lfctony
07-23-04, 12:59 PM
Does RTHDRIBL lock up your PC? Try it 2-3 times in a row. If yes then you have a wrong bios flash issue with your video card.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31997&highlight=trouble

1. Garbled Windows upon start up.
2. Games would sometimes corrupt the display requiring a system restart.
3. Farcry would display artefacts or locking up while loading.
4. When playing, system frequently froze for several seconds as if frozen and then continue.
5. Other games and demos would excibit the same lockups if left to run, UT2004 being one example and 3DM03 another one.
6. Technology demos like RTHDRIBL and PowerVR’s deferred shading demos, would lock up immediately 95% of times loaded. These 2 programs ran fine one my 9800 Pro. Also, other 6800 users in the internet have no problems running them. Both these programs are included on the CD I’ve sent you.
7. Vide card was tested with several drivers besides the ones included on the CD, v61.72, 61.34.
8. Video card was tested on 2 different PCs, showing the same results. One was an Athlon64 platform with an MSI K8T motherboard, the other being a P4 platform using a P4P800 motherboard.
9. Power supplies equipped were an Enermax 450W and an Antec 380W, more than sufficient for the cards requirements.
10. Above tests lead me to believe the card is defective.

CrimsonLoneWolf
07-23-04, 07:32 PM
Okay, so i downloaded the test and tried it some hours ago. Was running fine. Just tried it again 5 mins ago after i just started the computer and after browsing the net for a few mins. Locked up after 2 seconds, and i got a blue screen indicating an error in "NV4_disp" or something.. Endless loop, is what the screen told me.

And this was while using the drivers i didnt have any problems with earlier -> 61.21..

But how can you be sure its the BIOS that is causing this? And if it is, is there any version of the GF6800 Ultra Bios i should be having that would make it run stable, and what version would that be?

Lfctony
07-24-04, 05:58 AM
You should try it 4 to 5 times, if it locks up every time, it's the bios. You can also check with PowerVR's Deferred Shading demo. I'm using a Leadtek bios at the moment, everything appears to work properly.

Scouring my favourite hardware forum once again ( here ) , I happened to bump into some users that had Gainward GS 6800U's, all with the same problems, like mine. A shred of hope, maybe? Apparently, GW had flashed the wrong bios into the card. These guys used a Leadtek bios of a 6800U, which fixed all their problems. I called my supplier and told him about it.

We did our experiment on Wednesday morning, at 10.

So far, the card hasn't crashed once. I hope it stays that way.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32703

CrimsonLoneWolf
07-24-04, 06:18 AM
5.40.02.10.14 is the bios version that ExpertTool reports my card has.

This is a Point of View card, and you're suggesting to update its bios with a diff one from a diff card supplier? I'm not sure i'm willing to take that chance, yet.

What bios version did you flash it with, and where did you download it from? And what program did you use to flash? Also did you change anything else, ie downclocked it from the default 425 mhz in 3d app's?

I just tried to test if the problems i've had are heat based, and guess what.

61.21 -> RTHDRIBL locks up, but i've had it running a few times while i had the temp shown so i could follow the heat on my gfx card. It went up to >80 degrees. The lockup i am getting now tho, is a blue screen of death. So are you sure this isnt the program itself that doesnt like the new GF 6800 Ultra's?

61.76 -> Same as above.

With an open case -> All tests ran a bit better, 3Dmark2003 didnt pause during the game tests that stress the pixel/vertex shaders ie game test 2-4.

With a closed case -> Tests stop responding and i get pauses.

Downclocked from 3D performance of 425 mhz to 400 mhz, and now i can run 3Dmark 2003 with the newest drivers without any freezes and lock-ups AND with a closed case.

So i'm thinking this is more heat related than driver related. Sure, the new drivers might push the card a bit harder, and make it run a lot hotter.

I appreciate any info and feedback i've gotten so far, since it helps me to get closer to the real problem, of which i'm still unsure, heh.

Templar
07-24-04, 09:18 AM
I have the same BIOS as you. I have a standard clock of 400Mhz and i have NO problems with any drivers.
Heat might be the issue but chips might not work at a certain MHz despite not overheating, just a part of them doesn't "like" that Mhz. Only a few applications might use that part and expose it whilst most wont.
Use the card for a few days at 400Mhz and then you can lock down the issue to Mhz or not.

However I have a minor issue, every once in a while the letters and borders on my desktop will become fuzzy and "dance" a little. Like some electrical disturbance is occuring.

Simon

Lfctony
07-24-04, 01:51 PM
I even tried with 300/800 on 3 different PCs, 3 different PSUs. Same problem until I flashed with the Leadtek bios located here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32533&highlight=leadtek

Try PowerVR's Deferred Shading Demo:
http://www.pvrdev.com/pub/PC/eg/h/DeferredShading.htm

This should lock up as well. Also ShaderMark PS2 tests locked up my PC the same way.

CrimsonLoneWolf
07-24-04, 05:59 PM
Just flashed with the Leadtek a few hours ago. No lockups, seems to work stable so far. Noticed that the leadtek bios defaults the 3d core and mem clock to 400 and 1100 tho, compared to my old bios at 425 and 1100.

I had the case open all night, but i'll try tomorrow with my case fully closed again and see if that has any influence. But for now, its good!

Templar
07-24-04, 07:18 PM
Phew.. happy it's working.. such a bummer when these things don't work the way they're supposed to.

Simon

dnottis
07-24-04, 07:49 PM
Maybe the 425 and 1100 speeds are why it was unstable :)

CrimsonLoneWolf
07-25-04, 03:08 AM
Cant see that would have been the only problem as i had clocked it down to 400/1100 to test that before i installed the new bios, and that didnt stop some of the benchmarks from giving me a BSOD.

I'm still gonna save the verdict for later today, after a full days of heavy usage of 3D games before i decide if flashion my bios fixed it.

Lfctony
07-25-04, 03:12 AM
Cant see that would have been the only problem as i had clocked it down to 400/1100 to test that before i installed the new bios, and that didnt stop some of the benchmarks from giving me a BSOD.

I'm still gonna save the verdict for later today, after a full days of heavy usage of 3D games before i decide if flashion my bios fixed it.

There was something wrong with POV's bios, as with GW's bios, it wasn't the 425MHz core. Try manually setting the speed to 425/1100 for 3D. RTHDRIBL and PowerVR's DS demo should work every single time now. :)

XZiBiT
07-25-04, 10:36 AM
Hi nV News Forums :)

Strange I'm running a POV 6800ultra with BIOS 5.40.02.10.14 without lockups.

Motherboard Asus A8V / AthlonFX53

Lfctony
07-25-04, 04:19 PM
The bios flashed was probably defective, its good to know not all cards sent out were victims. :ORDER:

Templar
07-25-04, 04:33 PM
Crimson.. Hate to ask you this but do you have a good PSU?

Simon

CrimsonLoneWolf
07-25-04, 05:58 PM
Antec-INC 480 Watt PSU.. 22 A on the 12v rail, and i'm not really overclocking my cpu atm, think i only run it at 205 fsb, instead of the normal 200 fsb (P4 with 800 fsb).. The power cant be an issue i think, since i tried to test the card with only 1 harddrive attached on the 12v rail, apart from 2 independent 12v rail attachments to the 2 connectors on the gfx card. That didnt improve on stability, but that was before i flashed to the Leadtek bios.

I havent had a single crash today, so i'm definitely gonna try to clock the gfx to the 425/1100 its supposed to be able to handle in 3D.. if it works, then i'm gonna be happy again. But i still cant shake the feeling of being a tiny bit dissapointed in Nvidia and PoV in particular, for releasing cards with faulty bios'. I guess thats a new trend tho, with faster/hotter/more complex gfx cards. I bet it will be a bigger issue in the coming years, heh.

Lfctony
07-26-04, 01:12 AM
Antec-INC 480 Watt PSU.. 22 A on the 12v rail, and i'm not really overclocking my cpu atm, think i only run it at 205 fsb, instead of the normal 200 fsb (P4 with 800 fsb).. The power cant be an issue i think, since i tried to test the card with only 1 harddrive attached on the 12v rail, apart from 2 independent 12v rail attachments to the 2 connectors on the gfx card. That didnt improve on stability, but that was before i flashed to the Leadtek bios.

I havent had a single crash today, so i'm definitely gonna try to clock the gfx to the 425/1100 its supposed to be able to handle in 3D.. if it works, then i'm gonna be happy again. But i still cant shake the feeling of being a tiny bit dissapointed in Nvidia and PoV in particular, for releasing cards with faulty bios'. I guess thats a new trend tho, with faster/hotter/more complex gfx cards. I bet it will be a bigger issue in the coming years, heh.

It will handle it. :) You are going to be in the same mood I've been for the last 5 days. (bud)

CrimsonLoneWolf
07-26-04, 05:35 AM
Well, sad news is that i tried to clock it to the 425/1100 mhz it was supposed to be able to handle, but that gives me lockups and freeze's again.. So the bios update dealt with the stability at 400/1100.

What i find interesting is that my card gets up to 85 degrees when i clock it at 425/1100, and that is when it starts freezing or sometimes it even resets the computer. Shouldnt these cards be able to handle 85+ degrees? I mean its set to 115 temp threshhold before it will actually try to downclock it.. Maybe i will test again, with an open case, to see if 425/1100 will run stable when the temperature doesnt rise as much.

XZiBiT
07-26-04, 07:00 AM
My card gets up to about 82 degrees without any lockups.
Maybe you should reflash your card with the POV BIOS 5.40.02.10.14 again.

Have you turn agp fast writes off, a lot of people have had trouble with them on. I still have them on though

CrimsonLoneWolf
07-26-04, 09:47 AM
The PoV bios was the one that messed up the stability even at 400/1100. So there's no reason to revert to those, when i can play with a total stable system atm, even tho it's not up at 425/1100...

Templar
07-26-04, 09:49 AM
strange but I have the same PoV BIOS and no issues.

Simon

Lfctony
07-26-04, 03:48 PM
Mine works fine with 425/1100, after the bios flash. Very weird. Are you sure your PSU can handle the card? Maybe its indeed the temp. Let us know on any updates.