PDA

View Full Version : reinstall Windows when installing a new GPU?

Sc0rp10n
07-23-04, 11:12 AM
i know it's not necessary, but what are your thoughts around rebuilding your system every time you install a new video card? i do it, but i just enjoy rebuilding my system. i have 2 physical drives in my system and i put all my data on my D: drive. the OS and programs/games go on the C: drive. i have all of my installation media, so no problems there.

the reason i ask is that my 6800U arrives today. i've currently got a 9800xt in my system. i'm probably going to do the complete reinstall this weekend around the new card. just wonder what everyone else does...

Clay
07-23-04, 11:21 AM
Some do, some don't. I'd say that most don't. If you use something like Ghost then a full rebuild is nothing more than 15 minutes of unattended ease or so and you're done. That's the best approach IMO.

Slyder
07-23-04, 11:41 AM
I know I do, just for personal preference.

stncttr908
07-23-04, 12:24 PM
I know I do, just for personal preference.
So do I. Perhaps it's just a "placebo" thing since I figure, new card, clean start.

ricercar
07-23-04, 03:31 PM
You move from Catalyst to Detonators, which I have never done. When I swap an NVIDIA card for another, I re-install the Detonators, and leave the OS intact.

There are so many reasons to re-install the OS, that I let them take care of themselves. I don't go looking for a reason to re-install the OS.

Gn00b
07-23-04, 03:48 PM
I went from an ATI 9700 to the BFG 6800GTOC. I used the ATI uninstaller, Windows Add/Remove Programs, Windows uninstall hardware, RegCleaner, and Windows search. No nuke-and-pave.

Everything seems to be working fine. If I'm missing a couple of hundred 3DMarks, I dont notice it.

Riptide
07-23-04, 04:22 PM
I always take the approach of using the proper uninstallation routine for your existing driver. If, after doing that you still have problems with the new device *then* I consider doing a rebuild. But I don't do it by default. To much damn work. :)

As for ghost, it's good, but you have to take the image before you install drivers otherwise you've kinda defeated the purpose of restoring once you get a new card. The existing driver would just be reloaded.