PDA

View Full Version : Help. My galaxy 6800 ultra....

Mesce
07-23-04, 01:23 PM
My galaxy 6800 ultra after a restart a box pops up. this box look below. I ahve put in a power cord that said extra on it and it is plugged in to the left molex connector as im looking at it thru my windowed case and another normal molex connector that is in the right side looking into it. Please Help what should i do?

nkarnold
07-23-04, 01:26 PM
Both Ultra molex's need to be connected from seperate power leads from your PSU.

btw: did you get the Galaxy from Scan?

Mesce
07-23-04, 01:31 PM
yeh i got it from scan. £394 and while it says that is has had to run it at a safe speed the mhz it still says it is 425 mhz in the clock fequencies. So amybe it is clocked higher

kahloq
07-23-04, 01:46 PM
Both Ultra molex's need to be connected from seperate power leads from your PSU.

btw: did you get the Galaxy from Scan?
Like he said.make sure there are two different molex lines doing to the 6800U and not one line thats y'ed off. Try swapping the molex connectors to on the vid card. Also, make sure you dont have any other devices connected to the primary molex that goes into the vid card. The 2ndary line can have some fans on it and maybe even a hardrive, but make sure the vid card is the first in the line if y'ing off.

Mesce
07-23-04, 01:48 PM
Do you7 know which is which? Im gonna just swap em around then i get back to you.

kahloq
07-23-04, 01:57 PM
Dont quote me on this, but I think the farthest one from you(when the card is seated in the agp slot) is the primary and the one closest to you is the 2ndary.

Mesce
07-23-04, 02:01 PM
Well i just swapped em to what u said kahloq and the box hasn't popped up yet so i think eeveerything is fine. I pressed detect optimal overclock and it said 456/127 so maybe it won't be a bad overclocker i hope. I can't wait to reformat

jAkUp
07-23-04, 02:01 PM
I think it is actually the other way around... the top molex is the primary, bottom is secondary

Mesce
07-23-04, 02:18 PM
The on furthest away from me? I think it is pretty much sorted now. Still not reformatted. Maybe i will play a few games first.

kahloq
07-23-04, 02:27 PM
I think thats what i said Jackup :) Maybe Im misunderstanding you tho. Anyhow, if your looking at the card from the side, ie when its installed in the agp slot(assuming you have a tower type case), then the farthest from you(ie top) is the primary as far as I know. I hooked my up this way and the closer one(bottom) was hooked up with a several fans off it and my 6800 runs great. That is why I assumed the farthest from you is the primary as I didnt really look at the card itself.

Anyhow, Id suggest playing around with it for awile and making sure it stays stable before trying to OC a great deal.

jAkUp
07-23-04, 02:37 PM
hmmm.. what i meant is if your looking at the card like this:
http://www.grafika.cz/images/asus_v6800d.gif

The top molex connector is the primary, the one right below it is the secondary.. not sure if thats what you meant or not

Mesce
07-23-04, 02:42 PM
Yeh that is what kahloq meant and that is how i installed it. Thanks guys for all the help. really

kahloq
07-23-04, 02:48 PM
Glad you got it working

kahloq
07-23-04, 02:56 PM
Ok well I did a bit of searching and heres the best way to show it. So when it is installed in the agp slot, the closest molex connector to you is the primary. See pic:

http://home.comcast.net/~kahloq/nv40_01.jpg

Draxus
07-23-04, 03:19 PM
Dont quote me on this, but I think the farthest one from you(when the card is seated in the agp slot) is the primary and the one closest to you is the 2ndary.

You said the closest one to you was secondary, hehe

kahloq
07-23-04, 06:14 PM
I know that and said dont quote me on it LOL thats why I looked up a viable picture. In any event, I think my connections are reversed.meaning that I have fans on the line that is supposed to be the primary. I will swap it at some point just to see if I can get past 454

Mesce
07-23-04, 06:27 PM
Nothing spectacular it looks like a normal 6800 ultra. came with 425/1100 though.

I can't upload image of it as image is 181 and upload rate is 101. pfft

kahloq
07-23-04, 06:59 PM
The picture I used is a reference nvidia 6800 ultra and not my BFG ultra. Just so everyone knows.

Mesce
07-23-04, 07:37 PM
I wish i had a mobo that could oc. Ah well wait till next year when the processors will be ahead of the graphics cards once again.

kahloq
07-23-04, 07:44 PM
Well most motherboards allow you to change the FSB frequency thus resulting in an overclock on the processor. Some also allows you to {auto} overclock by a set margin like say 5% and the mobo handles all the necessary adjustments to everything. My asus has that ability.

I did a 5% auto overclock in the bios and it came out to 3360mhz instead of 3199 stock 3.2Ghz.

Mesce
07-23-04, 08:22 PM
I tried everything. This mobo won't allow the pci and agp to be locked. and no multiplier allowd. That pretty much disables it for overclocking.