PDA

View Full Version : 3 Cheers for XBox Doom3!

ragejg
07-23-04, 04:30 PM
I was at another forum in a discussion about Doom3 for the Xbox. People were specualting about framerates and poly counts,as well as texture quality, and over half the posts in the thread were complaining about the texture quality and/or the polycount... They were also heavily speaking of their experiences with the Alpha, which IMO is too old to even base an opinion on. here's the $0.02 I threw in, and I thought this might be a good topic starter about the Xbox version of this game, which obviosly has to be a little heavy on the optimizations.... but still, it's an impressive feat for this aging console...

"Why in the world are you guys mentioning the alpha in the same sentence as the final versions of the PC and Xbox version? It is SO old and contains code that has been rewritten PLENTY of times...

factors to consider:

The D3 engine is designed for low polys due to the mapping being used (bump or normal... or both, I don't remember ATM) ... A GF3-ish GPU can positively take advantage of this. Also,GF3 generation hardware is STILL quite proficient @ OGL.

The sound has an effect on fps in the PC version. I think it may be safe to infer that the XBox version may actually utilize some hardware acceleration to offset the workload a little, as opposed to the cpu-utilizing sound engine present in the PC version.

An underclocked GF3 gpu with shared memory architecture must certainly have as many optimizations utilized as possible to provide decent framerates on a newer title that is even too demanding for video cards of a generation ago. Now, I'll admit that some Xbox titles have had a few extra visual goodies added vs. the PC counterparts over the years (polycounts. blur effects, and other fun stuff), but this is definitely a title where IQ must be comprimised.... we're getting to that point now in the XBox's life...

I'm thinking that this game may just be running the straight nv20 path, with texture LOD's set up to the GPU's advantages... shadow details kicked down a bit, and a possibly more primitive form of specularity being used.

IMO, three cheers for the game being released on the XBox. It's a testament to the abilities of the nv2X hardware, which obviosly still can pump out some impressive graphics (@640x480... I wouldn't think this game would be 1080i-able:p).

I'm really interested in figuring out how the sound is done on the Xbox version... I'll look into it and report back to this thread."

LiquidX
07-23-04, 04:37 PM
Sound most likely will be handled by X-Box's dolby digital which is great. And you know whats crazy I have a feeling the X-Box will sell more copies than the PC. :retard:

GamerGuyX
07-23-04, 08:26 PM
And you know whats crazy I have a feeling the X-Box will sell more copies than the PC. :retard:

That's because it's a console. It's more mainstream and easier for people to set up. Plus, they don't have to worry about what there PC specs are. But me personally, I am going to get the PC version. :)

Galeo Deus
07-23-04, 08:43 PM
And you know whats crazy I have a feeling the X-Box will sell more copies than the PC. :retard:

Lol, that IS crazy. If you think that, then you don't know very much about the industry, no offense (seriously :) ).

I doubt Doom 3 will sell more than 700k on the box, and the PC will undoubtedly do many times that amount.

ragejg
07-23-04, 08:55 PM
Over time, sure Galeo Deus... but off the bat, in the first month or so, the XBox might sell more copies than the PC...

Meanwhile, check out some screenies here:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/doom3/screenindex.html

Here's one I likey...
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen_e3/914444_20040505_screen002.jpg

aaahhh52
07-23-04, 09:14 PM
well xbox gets exclusinve co-op mode wich really pisses me off cause i was really lookin forward to co-op on the pc :lame:

Vash
07-23-04, 09:21 PM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen_e3/914444_20040505_screen002.jpg

You know, that looks a little bit like an arcade shooter called Area 51.

Edge
07-24-04, 02:43 AM
well xbox gets exclusinve co-op mode wich really pisses me off cause i was really lookin forward to co-op on the pc :lame:

They're adding coop to the Xbox version because they designed the port with coop to begin with. I think in an interview, a guy from ID says they never made coop play a priority, so it seems they kinda ignored all the people that said they want it (although I doubt many people would be complaining about the PC version not having coop if the Xbox version didn't). And really I can see their point, I suppose it's much easier setting up something like coop play on Xbox Live on a set hardware platform rather than on the PC with it's 28.8 modem users with 1ghz computers and Geforce 2 MX cards (try playing Serious Sam coop with someone like that, yikes).

Anyway, I am quite impressed with how the Xbox version is coming along. Even the E32k4 trailer of the Xbox version looked quite impressive, though framerate looked sporatic (hopefully they've spent as much time adding optimisations since then as the makers of Riddick did between the demo and the full version). And I almost do think the Xbox version has a chance of outselling the PC version, if for no other reason than because a lot of people really don't want to upgrade their videocards (not to mention other components) when they already have a platform that can run it sitting in their living room. My friend is a HUGE Doom 3 fanatic, but he has a lowly 450 with a Voodoo 3, so he's trying to convince me to get Doom 3 for my Xbox so that he can play it when I come over (since I lug my Xbox to his house practically every time I go over there, and he only has a Gamecube).

ajay()
07-24-04, 07:09 AM
I'm such a sad id fanboy that I'm buying both versions :)

Skrot
07-24-04, 07:53 AM
Hm. I'm still a little upset that there's no coop in Doom 3. Coop is great fun :). Sure, single player is great too.

I'm more upset about the lack of coop in Painkiller though. That kind of game literally (nearly) screams coop. The levels aren't designed with that in mind though, as doors shut quickly as you walk through them to signify another 'arena' section of the level. They could have something similar to Serious Sam; have portals from the previous section into the locked off area or somesuch thing.

killahsin
07-24-04, 01:29 PM
Eh this is an online fps game, if so many fans want co-op, i'm sure someone will mod it in heh

Always have faith

(someone should call sven up)

Cyb3-RR
07-27-04, 07:52 AM
Lol, that IS crazy. If you think that, then you don't know very much about the industry, no offense (seriously :) ).

I doubt Doom 3 will sell more than 700k on the box, and the PC will undoubtedly do many times that amount.

Hmm, have you looked at past console vs. pc sales figures? If so, check your drinking water, it may be tainted.

revbatboy
07-27-04, 09:17 AM
I getting both. Pc for highrez and XBOX so I can play on my 43" HDTV

Riptide
07-27-04, 10:58 AM
I to am disappointed in the lack of coop. Same thing with Halo. I have several friends that would've been interested in spending a few hours playing through parts of the game like that.

majortom
07-27-04, 11:09 AM
I to am disappointed in the lack of coop. Same thing with Halo. I have several friends that would've been interested in spending a few hours playing through parts of the game like that.

oh man, i would've killed to have halo coop on pc. i cant believe noone's written any mod or code to allow this (isnt this a port from console, which was originally a port from a pc game?). and im sure its only a matter of time before a coop mod comes out for d3. SWEEEET!!!!!

Kamel
07-28-04, 10:14 AM
I have a feeling the X-Box will sell more copies than the PC.

i only doubt this for one reason... i know atleast 10 people who have bought new computers and/or upgrades to their current ones, JUST for doom3. not to mention that the reason why you'd get it on the computer is for the eye candy :drooling: -- the reason to get it for the xbox would be for the gameplay. not saying the gameplay is going to be bad or anything, i'm just saying that there's probably more people out there with a beefier pc than an xbox... which (no offense to you xbox freaks) isn't very hard to do.

WeReWoLf
07-28-04, 05:56 PM
me and my flatmate are HUGE doom 3 fans, and a co-op mode for PC would absolutely rock! just coz we have our house networked together at all times.

Vash
07-28-04, 07:02 PM
oh man, i would've killed to have halo coop on pc. i cant believe noone's written any mod or code to allow this (isnt this a port from console, which was originally a port from a pc game?). and im sure its only a matter of time before a coop mod comes out for d3. SWEEEET!!!!!

Minor correction: originally Halo was going to come out on the PC, but was then redesigned from the ground up for the Xbox. Not exactly a port.

------

The lack of co-op mode is a sad thing, I agree. My wife told me to get the Xbox version so she could play along with me, but we nixed that when we found out it requires 2 Xboxes.