PDA

View Full Version : Some serious problems with Far Cry (6800nu) :( :(

trilobyte321
07-23-04, 08:28 PM
have a look at this:

http://www.voidyourwarranty.net/images/tenguman/fc-medium-1024.jpg

that's no AA/Aniso, 1024x768, MEDIUM settings.

It'll run like 80fps in spots, but as soon as ANY action hits the screen, it'll drop to 20-25fps. The only time it's playable is at 800x600 LOW settings, and even then it'll drop to 35.

I realize that the 6800nu is not at GT levels, but come on --- this is like 9600pro performance :/

I dunno if there's something wrong with my system, or my card, or what....

I have a
2.4ghz P4 - 533
Albatron - PX845PEV Pro (Intel 845 chipset) (AGP 4x)
eVGA 6800nu @ Stock Speed
1gb RAM

cam9786
07-23-04, 08:59 PM
Theres definately something wrong, but I have no idea what. Wait, yeah I do. I have a good idea what. The same thing happened to me earlier with Farcry, I had to do a spyware scan, and that helped by about 85%, then I reformatted and then installed Farcry and that gave me a HUGE boost in FC. Since FC is a memory hog, and viruses (especially Trojans) tend to take up much memory and do the "CPU Usage 100%" thing, Farcry can greatly decrease in performance if spyware or viruses are installed, but you probably already knew that. I'd recommend AdAware 6.0 for spyware removal and Spyware Blaster for always protection.

ChrisRay
07-23-04, 09:59 PM
I have found some large outdoor areas to be extremely CPU bound., Paticularly scenes like that, There were cases Far Cry dropped into the high 20's on my machine too,.

anzak
07-23-04, 10:05 PM
CR is right. Even with my overclocked barton the outdoor firefights drop into the mid 20's regardless of resolution and AA/AF. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Feel free to put everything on very high/ultra high water, it won't change a thing in thoughs situations.

trilobyte321
07-23-04, 10:11 PM
^^^ Yeah, I guess it is my CPU. It seems point to the CPU since it runs the same way, high settings or low settings. I might as well crank up the graphics since it runs super smooth (and looks awesome) 70% of the time.

If Doom3 is anything like this, I guess it's time for an upgrade to 3ghz.

*whew* I'm glad it's not my card. Honestly, everything runs very smoothly -- it's just Far Cry. Thanks guys.

therapture
07-23-04, 11:05 PM
CR is right. Even with my overclocked barton the outdoor firefights drop into the mid 20's regardless of resolution and AA/AF. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Feel free to put everything on very high/ultra high water, it won't change a thing in thoughs situations.

I am inclined to agree with you, equivalent clock speed A64 rigs are smokin my best performance level by quite a it....the cpu is a BIG part of this current generation of gpu's....

*sigh* now I am going to be getting an A64 rig soon...this one is going to be sold :lol2:

rellingsen
07-23-04, 11:43 PM
This may be a stupid question but did you apply the patch for the game? If you didn't that could be the problem as the 1.1 or later patches provided detection for the NV40 series cards.

trilobyte321
07-24-04, 12:35 AM
Yeah I did, in fact I'm on 1.2

I ran a comparison with the numbers that nvnews review has up for the 6800 and I get around the same in Far Cry (his PC is more or less the same as mine). I guess it's more of my CPU than anything.

hopefully doom3 is more forgiving CPU wise. That's the game I really care about.

Amuro
07-24-04, 01:09 AM
1.2 has been recalled. Maybe you should be considering drop back to 1.1.

mustrum
07-24-04, 03:51 AM
Hmm are you sure? I played through FC with my Barton + Radeon System and i am pretty sure i never came close to such low frames. On higher settings that is. This was the release version though. No patch applied.
I didn't watch the framecounter allday but low 20s are noticable easy usually.
I might be wrong but to me it looks like he has some serious issue since it should happen at 800x600 and low detail for sure. His CPU isn't bad at all.
REFORMAT!

ChrisRay
07-24-04, 03:53 AM
Hmm are you sure? I played through FC with my Barton + Radeon System and i am pretty sure i never came close to such low frames. On higher settings that is. This was the release version though. No patch applied.
I didn't watch the framecounter allday but low 20s are noticable easy usually.
I might be wrong but to me it looks like he has some serious issue since it should happen at 800x600 and low detail for sure. His CPU isn't bad at all.
REFORMAT!

I am pretty positive, On both my 5900 and my 6800 this issue has occured, Its much worse on my Athlib XP 2000+ thought,