PDA

View Full Version : James Bond Nightfire demo - it sucks!

Pages : [1] 2

PenguinJim
10-25-02, 08:52 PM
OK, what does everyone think of this demo?

I think the graphics are OK, if a little 'soft'. The sound is OK, if a little sparse. I think the gameplay is poor. The game feels like a console FPS with nothing but the James Bond license and some cleavage to redeem itself.

In other words: the demo sucks! I was expecting a fun, diverting FPS, especially from Gearbox. I'm assuming the game is also coming out on PS2 and XBox. It's a shame they couldn't make use of anything the PC has to offer, and instead churned out a console game with an easy port. The weapons are unfun, the bad guys are boring and... unfun, and the gadgets are... well, just kinda THERE. Having said that, there IS the option to select a refresh rate and anti-aliasing level in the options menu, something I hope to see in more games in the future :cool:.

But this is still a bad, bad demo and I certainly won't waste any more of my time on this game. NOLF2 wins hands down IMHO.

PS: Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong!

thcdru2k
10-25-02, 08:55 PM
thats what everyone is saying...either it sucks crap or it was rushed. i'm not gonna bother d/l it. hopefully they fix the final game. james bond games always rock on console.

cricket
10-25-02, 08:58 PM
id like to try it out and give my opionion but cant find anywhere that has the demo for download on their sites? i tried 3dgamers, and adrenelin vault???? where did you download it from? give me a link please...and yes im up to chapter 10 in NOLF2 it is great fun.

thcdru2k
10-25-02, 09:00 PM
fileplanet.com or fileshack.com

either wait in line, or pay the 5 bucks at fileshack. the 5 bucks at fileshack is best i've ever spent.

nin_fragile14
10-25-02, 10:14 PM
Awful, awful game.

saturnotaku
10-25-02, 10:47 PM
This is from Gearbox? Oh God, if this 007 game sucks like people are saying it is, that doesn't bode well for Halo. :(

Nephilim
10-25-02, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I am really pissed at Bungie for farking off on making the PC version.

Ugh

Cereal-Killer
10-25-02, 11:05 PM
I's not a good game, but I've seen much worse. The graphics are ok, it's just the repetitive gameplay that's bothering me.

cricket
10-26-02, 01:03 AM
i just got finished playing the demo...damn it was hard to find the girl in the bathhouse! i'd say the graphics could have been a lot clear/more defined..seemed a little blurry,and rough around the edges..especially the cut scenes. as far as the game play..every once in awhile i would lose the sounds of my gun firing,but then it returned....yeah and going back and forth over the same area's is a pain in the ass......maybe they should have released a different level for a demo, and worked a little harder on the graphics. its gotta be slightly better than "AGENT UNDER FIRE" (the last released 007 game ) i heard that game was rated very poorly.
they better hope this one does better or it will be the end too bond games. a ninja man at the end of demo...hmmm reminds me of another game???? ninja's/swords.....nolf2 wanna be's??...guess ill go back to playing where i left off in nolf2(chapter 10)............maybe unreal 2 demo will be out soon and give us something to really be impressed with.

Dell Demension 8200 P4 2.26GHz with 533MHz system bus/ 512K L2 Cache ~768MB PC800 RDRAM~80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive~128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600~with 30.82 driver's~Direct X 8.1~24x/10x/40x CD-RW Drive~ Harman Kardon HK-395 Speakers with Subwoofer ~Sound Blaster Live~ WinXP Home dition~withSP1~~~~~3dmark 2nd edition score=11,034

StealthHawk
10-27-02, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
fileplanet.com or fileshack.com

either wait in line, or pay the 5 bucks at fileshack. the 5 bucks at fileshack is best i've ever spent.

i have a question about that, how much webspace do you get along with the access to the faster servers? i couldn't find any information when i looked besides the fact that you get some.

thcdru2k
10-27-02, 03:52 AM
you don't get much but you do get 20mb. not only that you can browse fileshack with no advertisements at all. you get a shackmail e-mail address..i don't use it though, plus you don't gotta wait an hour in line for a demo. pretty good for $5 bucks.

stncttr908
10-29-02, 08:04 AM
Even though its heavily modified, you can only do so much with the Halflife engine. Someone has to tell gearbox this.

PenguinJim
10-29-02, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by stncttr908
Even though its heavily modified, you can only do so much with the Halflife engine. Someone has to tell gearbox this.

This was the Half-Life engine? They krazied it up a bit - the graphics don't look that bad (occasionally). Shame the gameplay bites so much - how can they mess up a Half-Life engine FPS?!? The weapons are soooo unsatisfying and the bad guys are boring and rubbish and you can't tell when you've been hit except by looking at the (rubbish) health guage. Come to think of it, the graphics remind me of an N64 game, for some reason?

stncttr908
10-29-02, 03:27 PM
Yes sir, it be the halflife engine at heart.

saturnotaku
10-29-02, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
Even though its heavily modified, you can only do so much with the Halflife engine.

Actually, Half-Life was a heavily modified Quake 2 engine. That engine is going on what? 4-5 years old now? Time for them to move on from that. Perhaps it might have been better had they used the Unreal Warfare or even the Quake 3 engine. :rolleyes:

StealthHawk
10-29-02, 11:27 PM
no kidding, someone needs to tell people still using the Half-Life engine that it's time to move on. it had a good run in the sun, but nothing is going to make HL engine games look much better. Valve and associates just don't want to let go.

stncttr908
10-30-02, 08:22 AM
Its still a very useable and good engine for freeware modding, but for retail games, I agree that its time to move on to bigger and better things.

doom
10-30-02, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Actually, Half-Life was a heavily modified Quake 2 engine. That engine is going on what? 4-5 years old now? Time for them to move on from that. Perhaps it might have been better had they used the Unreal Warfare or even the Quake 3 engine. :rolleyes:
I thought half-life was based off the quake 1 engine.

sbp
10-31-02, 02:27 AM
Basically there seems to be confusion which engine was used for Half Life. These lists say Quake 1 engine:
http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=1681
http://www.gamespot.com/features/halflife_final/part22.html

As does id: http://www.idsoftware.com/business/home/technology/techlicense.php

You can also find stuff out there that says it was the Quake 2 engine.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-31-02, 02:35 AM
man, is this game really that horrible? I was gonna download demo but now I am a little aprehensive about it.

StealthHawk
10-31-02, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by sbp
Basically there seems to be confusion which engine was used for Half Life. These lists say Quake 1 engine:
http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=1681
http://www.gamespot.com/features/halflife_final/part22.html

As does id: http://www.idsoftware.com/business/home/technology/techlicense.php

You can also find stuff out there that says it was the Quake 2 engine.

it was based off the Quake 1 engine, but they also did incorporate some parts of the Quake 2 engine i believe.

as you say, there are a lot of conflicting reports, and i've seen it thrown around in several publications that HL was partly based on the Q2 engine along with Valve's own modifications.

stncttr908
10-31-02, 08:26 AM
Try it if you have a connection that you can download over 100KB/sec otherwise don't waste your time.

doom
11-01-02, 10:47 PM
Personally I hate half-life, and its community. Little effort was put into map work and engine design, although map lighting and modelling was done well.

For all you q3 mappers out there, you can clearly see how little effort was put into the maps:
http://ahlmd.telefragged.com/GUI/review/lobby.jpg

Although... you might find it fun if you don't mind the sucky graphics.

thcdru2k
11-01-02, 11:19 PM
ouch..thats almost as bad as those generic fps for $5.

cricket
11-01-02, 11:46 PM
and the asking price for this game at EB games is $44.99...what a joke!@!!!...........if i ever buy it i'll wait till gogamer has a 48 hour price drop on it for like $24.99 or less